Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I'm riding a Hypermotard S but I'm selling it and looking at getting a new bike. I'm thinking about the Streetfighter but I'm worried how it is around town. I do almost all my riding in the city. I used to own an 848 and it was terrible around town. The riding position was killer and the exhaust got way too hot.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
I would expect the hyper to be a bit better in the city. The SF is good but is geared a bit tall and the funky low rpm fueling is a bit bothersome at city speeds. I don't mind it. You need to test it. I just love mine.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
make sure you get a good test ride, mine is not a lot of fun in stop and go traffic...you'll more than likely have to go to the aftermarket for a fix at a reasonable price...

·
Bon Vivant
11,231 Posts
I'd shoot myself if I had to ride a streetfighter in the City.
The fueling is a mess and the bike gets very hot - the clutch is like a workout and it's also geared way too high.
It's a horrible city bike.

Id think a 450 supermoto would be a much better bike in the city.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I use to own a Hyper and I now have a 848 and a SF. If your going to continue riding in any city than just keep the Hyper. It's a better bike for city riding. If you do get a SF and it has low RPM fueling issues your in for a bad surprise around any city. Even without the fueling issues I don't feel the SF is a great city bike.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'd shoot myself if I had to ride a streetfighter in the City.
The fueling is a mess and the bike gets very hot - the clutch is like a workout and it's also geared way too high.
It's a horrible city bike.....
I use to own a Hyper and I now have a 848 and a SF. If your going to continue riding in any city than just keep the Hyper. It's a better bike for city riding. If you do get a SF and it has low RPM fueling issues your in for a bad surprise around any city. Even without the fueling issues I don't feel the SF is a great city bike.
Gee - Are we not men??

You guys haven't ridden my '97 Guzzi V10 Centauro (aka "the BEAST")......commuted in traffic for 12 years on that one, makes the SF feel positively easy!!

There probably are more comfortable commuters (Vespa....anyone??), but the SF is fine. If it's comfort you're after then don't discount the M1100 Monster as well, which is softer riding than the harder-edged SF.

But any of the nakeds place you far more upright than the wrist-heavy Superbikes. Heat is not an issue, the SF runs way cooler than the 848. I had a friend of mine visiting from the UK and we made the mistake last friday of taking the bikes out during a heatwave (43*C, = 111*F ....!!) and it was a relief to swap onto the SF..... try before you buy....

jdw

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, despite the name, the Streetfighter is not a great city bike in stock form. But you can definitely improve it:

- lower the gearing substantially, 14T on the front or 41-42 on the rear
- replace the clutch slave with something that has an easier pull

That said, when I have to go into San Francisco to a client site, I usually hop on my Vespa GTS. It's a lot more maneuverable, narrower for lane splitting, and has a top box I can toss my helmet into. Only downside is no Termignoni to let folks know I'm coming up on them. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
That said, when I have to go into San Francisco to a client site, I usually hop on my Vespa GTS. It's a lot more maneuverable, narrower for lane splitting, and has a top box I can toss my helmet into. Only downside is no Termignoni to let folks know I'm coming up on them. Sigh.
Look into an exhaust called "Proma"
When I was younger and lived in Italy I had a Vespa ET3 and added the Proma exhaust and I'd say there is no better if not whicked exhaust for it, I'm not sure if you can get it here but worth the try!:D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Riding possition not a problem. You can change the bar and then you ll have an even more upright possition...
The bike NEVER gets hot...at least my fighter! : -) i have never seen the fans work and i have seen a max of 4 or 5 "boxes" at the temp indicator. Remember i live in Athens Greece...Heavy traffic and high temps!!

the clutch is a bit of a problem in the city for the fighter but the biggest problem is the fueling issue...even after the remap...i think maybe with the -1 tooth front sprocket it will be better, but i am sure that with the fueling issue fixed (PCIII or something) the fighter wont have problems in the city

·
Registered
195 Posts
Im from Chicago and have been rinding my SFs in city traffic for the past 4 months. At first it takes some getting use to the low rpm issues but once you learn to feather the clutch at speeds below 30 mph, the bike handles fine. Also the clutch really starts to hurt your hand in stop & go traffic but since you already have ridden your motard and 848 in the city, you should be use to that already.

The SF is an amazing bike and I would not trade it in for the world. Get to your Duc dealer and give her a test ride, you will love it.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
I have to agree with the 'streetfighter is not a city bike' crowd.. I can work and if you want it enough and change the gearing it would suffice, but relatively (compared to other bikes) it has a larger turn radius, it's too fast, the clutch is stiff and the gearing is high.
but ,, this is coming from a guy that would honestly buy a vespa if I drove only in the city and not on more open roads. :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
who stops at stop-lights with a fighter???? :p

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Well i do . Or i,d be fuckin killed by the idiots coming the other way

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
pffffffff you just need to drive faster mate!! :p

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well i do . Or i,d be fuckin killed by the idiots coming the other way
That was funny.
As eloquent as ever Blackie , well put

·
Bon Vivant
11,231 Posts
The thing that stops me cold about having a hooligan bike in the city is most major cities these days have video surveillance at every intersection.

You want to get your hooligan on in the city? Be ready for a knock on the door...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts