Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few have been doing mods to the heatshield, so i had a fcuk about with mine & took some pics in the hope it will help other. I had the carbon one on about a month now but my heel still caught it.
So as per other threads i [email protected] it with a hammer until it was flat & used the 2 upper & lower holes as the template, this left the middle one to modify ,but not by much.
Then just a case of sawing off a little bit of the bracket( yes you can hacksaw it in situ , like i did if you are careful. Drill a new hole & insert the small clip.
I removed the spacers from the back side of the guard to move it in further. I coated the guard in metal heatshield to protect it , I will see if this works.
Then a case of refitting the rearset (with the spacers that i had machined) and its moved it in quite a way.
Still think my size 47,s will rest on it but not as bad as before......

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the detailed pictures! I did the right peg spacer thing, but have yet to do the heatshield mod.

So after the shield is back on, about how far away from the pipe is it? I'll be interested to hear what the difference in heat is like.

Also, were you able to find some black M8 bolts for the peg?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I know a few have been doing mods to the heatshield, so i had a fcuk about with mine & took some pics in the hope it will help other. I had the carbon one on about a month now but my heel still caught it.
So as per other threads i [email protected] it with a hammer until it was flat & used the 2 upper & lower holes as the template, this left the middle one to modify ,but not by much.
Then just a case of sawing off a little bit of the bracket( yes you can hacksaw it in situ , like i did if you are careful. Drill a new hole & insert the small clip.
I removed the spacers from the back side of the guard to move it in further. I coated the guard in metal heatshield to protect it , I will see if this works.
Then a case of refitting the rearset (with the spacers that i had machined) and its moved it in quite a way.
Still think my size 47,s will rest on it but not as bad as before......
In the photo it appears you only flattened the bottom hole, is that correct?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the photo it appears you only flattened the bottom hole, is that correct?

No Mate

I flattened the bottom & middle holes hence the reason for the drilling of the new hole in the middle part...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the detailed pictures! I did the right peg spacer thing, but have yet to do the heatshield mod.

So after the shield is back on, about how far away from the pipe is it? I'll be interested to hear what the difference in heat is like.

Also, were you able to find some black M8 bolts for the peg?

Yes mate . I had a box of bolts that i bought from some cheap nasty shop & they fit, i added threadloc so no nasty surprises.. I reckon the shield is only about 5mm away from the pipe thro its whole length

·
Registered
465 Posts
No Mate

I flattened the bottom & middle holes hence the reason for the drilling of the new hole in the middle part...
hmm interesting. I hammered the top and bottom and was still able to use the existing holes. The shield is now much closer to the pipe. I just wish they had made the shield recessed along the lines of the exhaust. It actually is formed out in the opposite direction of the exhaust and thats the point where my heel hits it. Still though, much better now with the spacers and the shield moved in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Srleadjb - are these Competition Werkes footpegs? Where did you get them? Direct fit or modified (haven't seen them listed for SF)?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Srleadjb - are these Competition Werkes footpegs? Where did you get them? Direct fit or modified (haven't seen them listed for SF)?
Yes they are. They don't make them for the SF. Mine are the 848 ones. They need an easy modification. Grind about 2 mm off the inside ends so they lay parellell. I literally just ground them down on the ground a little at a time till they fit. By the way the 1098 version won't work as they are too short.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
let us know how hot the heat shield gets...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
let us know how hot the heat shield gets...
I,m hoping it wont get any hotter than it did before as i was running it without any foil on it.
I,m sure the 3 layers of foil will help cool it down..

·
Registered
206 Posts
I,m hoping it wont get any hotter than it did before as i was running it without any foil on it.
I,m sure the 3 layers of foil will help cool it down..
So it has been a while since this was posted, and I'm wondering how your boots are holding up. Is enough of the heat being dissipated? I'd really like to do this mod, but I wanted to know the long term experience first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I've done blackie's mod, added Oberon footpegs and haven't noticed any real increase in heat. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and am only barely aware of the heatshield now.

I have lost two shift level rubbers though, which I attribute to angle at which my foot approaches the shifter when upshifting due to the wider stance with the new pegs...I'm kind pidgeon toeing the lever rather than coming straight up under it, if that makes sense...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've done blackie's mod, added Oberon footpegs and haven't noticed any real increase in heat. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and am only barely aware of the heatshield now.

I have lost two shift level rubbers though, which I attribute to angle at which my foot approaches the shifter when upshifting due to the wider stance with the new pegs...I'm kind pidgeon toeing the lever rather than coming straight up under it, if that makes sense...
That makes sense. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In response to your questions, I have had the mods on for a while & have had no problems. I i said i have size 47 boots so my feet are probably a tad closer to everything than most others. Trips have included blasts around B roads & last weeks 600 mile jaunt around England.
No problems with heat or the controls & if anything the carbon is cooler than the metal shield.
I also attribute this to getting the gasses out quicker from the modded cans.The carbon on the cans has had no problems & no discolouration

On another note i have found the Oberon pegs very slippery once wet or damp. I may change them for something else

·
Registered
206 Posts
In response to your questions, I have had the mods on for a while & have had no problems. I i said i have size 47 boots so my feet are probably a tad closer to everything than most others. Trips have included blasts around B roads & last weeks 600 mile jaunt around England.
No problems with heat or the controls & if anything the carbon is cooler than the metal shield.
I also attribute this to getting the gasses out quicker from the modded cans.The carbon on the cans has had no problems & no discolouration

On another note i have found the Oberon pegs very slippery once wet or damp. I may change them for something else
Thanks Blackie, that's good news that it is working out for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This seems like a sweet mod. I have a couple of questions and please forgive me because I am new so if you have answered this before please dont shoot me. I HAVE read all the posts regarding the SF.

Could you do this mod with the stock guard or do you need the CF model? If so where can you get this part? Is it Ducati specific or third party?

Could you do this mod without using the peg spacers? I dont know anyone with a lathe so that may be a problem. I have seen blackies post regarding the size of the spacers but he didnt mention the inner diameter. Does anyone know this off hand?

Thirdly and lastly, you will need new longer bolts if you use the spacer right? If so what length?

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Could you do this mod without using the peg spacers? I dont know anyone with a lathe so that may be a problem. I have seen blackies post regarding the size of the spacers but he didnt mention the inner diameter. Does anyone know this off hand?

Thirdly and lastly, you will need new longer bolts if you use the spacer right? If so what length?

Thanks
check out rhinomoto.com for ready made spacers.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Instead of the spacers, why not use the longer pegs like the Oberons that are a bit longer and much more grippier?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts