Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may take a while but I'm going to try to chronicle my Streetfighter experience so far. The time has been short but very very rich so I'll try to be brief but I feel like I have a lot to tell...

I decided to buy my Streetfighter from a dealer in another state. I like the guys at this dealership and had a good experience here so a road trip was in order.

My bike was the one received for the premier party so the plan was to drive out there for the party and then pick the bike up the next day and roadtrip back home.

We arrived in the late afternoon, about an hour or so before the party was to start, My wonderful wife Candie came along and supported me the whole way

The bike was already on a stand in the showroom with the DP custom streetfighter cover on it, I really wanted to peak under that cover!

PJ's in Albuquerque is a pretty nice shop with a good selection of bikes and gear, and from what I could tell a very loyal clientele

Gradually people started to trickle in for the party, it looked like well over a hundred people showed, the turn out was excellent!

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finaly it was time for the unveiling! Jonesy the manager on the left and PJ, the owner on the right...

It took what seemed like forever to get that cover off the thing :sleep:

Finally! there it is and it's my bike - with all those people crowding around and a big round of applause!!! WOW was this cool!

Pretty soon it was tough to get close to the bike to have a look

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Jonesy, having just attended the dealer orientation and track test, did a fantastic job of explaining the details and nuances of this very sophisticated motorcycle.

I stayed around as long as I could. I thought I knew just about everything there was to know about the streetfighter but I listened and learned a lot that I had no clue about!

It was finally time to get out of there try and get some sleep and get ready for the big day on Saturday...

We woke up to a rainy cold day and had some time to kill so we headed up to the Sandia tramway to do the tourist thing and check out the NewMexico wilderness... Check out the low cloud cover, those cables just disappear!

It was 33 degrees and WET up at the top

Can we go get my bike yet!!!!?

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even though it was raining off and on I still wanted to test ride the bike before I signed on the dotted line. They probably would have preferred that I didn't take the bike out in the rain but agreed to let me do it anyhow.

One of their henchmen gave me a vision and sobriety test while the manager checked the suspension :crazy: - boing boing boing

How much did I drink last night??? :eek: :yeah:

It didn't take me long to figure out that the bike fit me really well and was really comfortable for me so the ride was short...

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We hung around most of the day so that a few people might be able to check the bike out before it left the dealership. The sun came out briefly in the afternoon and with all of the details finished up and my pockets quite a bit lighter it was finally time to load up the bike and hit the road.

Yes, I wheeled it out of the dealership myself :rolleyes:

The roll up the ramp...

And I'm one happy dude! :D Now for an eight hour drive...

We got home Saturday night about 11pm, Sunday I put about 90 miles on the bike and learned a lot about it. I'll report more in just a bit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
That was what was supposed to happen with me...except they sent my dealership a black one, so I have to wait for the red one to arrive...!

Thanks for the photos and look forward to a great review!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Flynbulldog, Thanks for the superb pics and report! Enjoy that beast and keep us posted - that is one nice machine - congrats bro! :D

·
Bon Vivant
11,363 Posts
Now for the ride report:

First of all - if you are waiting to hear what the new owners are saying stop what you are doing now, get your checkbook and get to the dealership!

I absolutely love this bike and I'm not one to stick by my decision if it's not right, if I buy something that sucks I have no problem saying it sucks. The streetfighter doesn't suck!

Couple of things to get to right away - the transmission is sweet, I'm not worried about false neutrals anymore and seriously, it works really really well! a better more precise feeling transmission than on my 1098.

The right foot heat shield didn't bother me much at all, for me it's a non-issue.

The view over the bars didn't bother me as much as I thought it might either. It is interesting to be able to watch the front wheel as you ride down the road.

The increased rake and trail is a non-issue, the bike is light, quick steering, and very nimble. I did some fast sweepers and the bike is rock-solid and planted with no tendency to run wide.

There are a lot of little things that really make this bike stand out, it may seem like a small thing but the new switches are fantastic and for me help the bike feel very high quality. I love the smaller turn signal switch and cancel button - works very smooth and precise and not clunky like on some other bikes.

A buddy of mine came over with his new 08 S4RS and we swapped bikes for a few miles. Let me tell you the riding position is VERY different on the two bikes! On the SF you sit higher and your feet sit farther back and lower giving you much more leg room. The bars are a bit closer to your body but slightly lower (maybe a half inch or less) and the angle of the SF bars at the ends tilt down a bit like clip-ons or more like a superbike and less like a dirtbike. I wouldn't swap them for dirtbike bars personally.

Fueling on my bike is not perfect down low, it surges just a bit at steady throttle below 4000 but accelerates VERY smoothly with no hesitation

I also have a clutch problem with my bike but I don't think it is endemic with the SF or Ducati dry clutches in general, I think it's just my bike. It's not bad, I'll have them take a look at it at the 600mile service.

I think this bike is really the best motorcycle I've ever been on for it's purpose, (the 1098 is still faster and a better track and canyon bike)
I'm glad I waited and happy with the decision to get the SF"s". It may not be for everybody but it is the right bike for me. The Streetfighter is frickin awesome!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Great writeup on your experience. It did take me a bit of getting used to being able to see the tip of the front wheel, but I love the position.

You know I was seriously waffling about going thru with my purchase and then took it out for a 30 minute test ride, I followed the dealership owner who took me on some really twisty roads. After 5 minutes I told the dealer we could head back (we still stayed out for the full time tho!) as this bike fits me really well. Pleasantly surprised at how light the turnin is. The turn signal is a bit different location and feel for me from my other bikes, the manual makes note that they're self-cancelling too.

Did you get a tool kit? The manual says it has one but the two bikes that came in to my dealer didn't have one, not really any place to put it. Ducati does provide an allen wrench to undo the two bolts over the battery cover to acess the terminals which is a good idea.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Great write-up Flynbulldog, that's what most of us were waiting for.
Waiting for mine to come in now!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
congrats

I rode a standard with slip-ons and chip. It was perfect. No glitches anywhere. I traded my ST3 and ZX10 on the spot. 3 weeks for arrival (red with termis).

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I rode a standard with slip-ons and chip. It was perfect. No glitches anywhere. I traded my ST3 and ZX10 on the spot. 3 weeks for arrival (red with termis).
You won't regret it tho you may opt for higher bars at some point to make it more long distance friendly.

Chris

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
mine still hadn't arrived

the dealer got a bike in exactly like the one I ordered. but they said it was going to be their demo bike. My bike hasn't come in and I put my deposit down months ago. :( hopefully it will show up this coming week. I still rode the bike that would someday be mine.. I loved it. the problems that I thought might could be,, heat shield etc.. were not an issue during riding, I could see the fron tire but it's like all the new naked ducati's the hyper motard, the new monster, they all put you forward enough to see the front fender. at first I didn't like it (last year) but I have gotten used to it, and I think I will get used to it with time. As for the rest of the bike .. I love it. the power the turn in the brakes are wonderful. I am thinking about putting the shift assist on it but the first thing I will do when I get it home is remove the charcoal canister. WHEN I get it home.

I wanted to add that I was disappointed that I couldn't turn on only the LED's unless the bike was in "park"

·
Registered
96 Posts
SF Problem

Thanks for taking the time to post reviews guys! I have not read anything yet on a problem I had with the SF on my demo, with intermittent dying while idling. On another thread an Aussie fellow mentions that it is common and that I should not buy this brand. Yet, I have not heard of any reports of this problem elsewhere. Did I just get a problematic demo bike?

·
Bon Vivant
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of the early 1098 had the stalling issue and it was pretty common. Most were repaired under warrantee.
It should be fixed now and I don't think you should expect Ducatis to die...
So far I have nothing like that with my Streetfighter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post reviews guys! I have not read anything yet on a problem I had with the SF on my demo, with intermittent dying while idling. On another thread an Aussie fellow mentions that it is common and that I should not buy this brand. Yet, I have not heard of any reports of this problem elsewhere. Did I just get a problematic demo bike?
Have covered 1000miles on my 'S' now and NO problems with cutting out or stalling,must have been a problem specific to the bike you rode.Ducati in my experience are very good if you do have any problems and the warantee's are superb also.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I bought an 05 999s with 2000Kms on it last year and it did the stalling thing. It turned out that the rear cylinder was running too rich.

·
Registered
294 Posts
omg at last lol
well done congrats mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enjoy:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts