Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a dual high pipe prototype installed on the bike.

I'd like to get some opinions before we go into production.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to be the first one, but I have to say I don't like it. Great idea, but I think you missed the mark.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK- *Opinion*

Look cool, look cooler in my mind if they were shorter >to end at the point where the tail light begins. Also- if you could tuck them back slightly non parallel- that the are in line with the angle of the tail section- that would be cool.

PS - Nice Speed Triple!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Is there any way to follow the same lines as the 916/1098 undertail positioning? I really like how the pipes are routed up the right side but the spread out tips don't look right on this bike.

I'd be your first customer if you can duplicate the 1098 undertail pipes :)

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any way to follow the same lines as the 916/1098 undertail positioning? I really like how the pipes are routed up the right side but the spread out tips don't look right on this bike.

I'd be your first customer if you can duplicate the 1098 undertail pipes :)
A undertail set up would require a diiferent subframe and undertail for tire clearance. It is do-able but the mods would be very expensive.
-M

·
Registered
465 Posts
I like it but agree that it should be shorter. I imagine the spread is required due to the shape of the undertail. Have you dyno'd it?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK- *Opinion*

Look cool, look cooler in my mind if they were shorter >to end at the point where the tail light begins. Also- if you could tuck them back slightly non parallel- that the are in line with the angle of the tail section- that would be cool.

PS - Nice Speed Triple!

Starting point of the can is limited by the subframe and undertail clearance. It needs to cross over to the other side and then turn up.

Shorter cans would be much louder unless we installed DB killers in them - which I didn't want to do. I'd rather have a better flow through muffler than two short pretty but restrictive mufflers. The cans are actually very short already. The short SF tail and thin can makes the cans look much longer than they are.

They are actually pointed inward at the ends slightly but the camara makes it look spread apart or parallel..

We can take take a couple inches off the cans without making it too much louder, remove the plate relocator kit and angle it in some more.
I'll have some more pictures later.

-M

·
Registered
337 Posts
How about putting them close together and relocate the license plate bracket? Better yet, make a GP style can and i'll be your first customer:)

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,233 Posts
i wonder if a short movie clip would give a better idea of spatial relationship. Just like when we as a group saw pictures of the SF, but only after "seeing it", did we truly understand the bikes layout.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Had a zx10r, loved the bike hated the mufflers. How about those cans with a new mid-pipe to the side.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wonder if a short movie clip would give a better idea of spatial relationship. Just like when we as a group saw pictures of the SF, but only after "seeing it", did we truly understand the bikes layout.
Good Idea.

We are making some mods right now. It was only tacked in place originally.
I'll take more pics and a video with sound next.
-M

·
Registered
118 Posts
Am I not seeing it right or is the R can outside of the tail and the L under it? Not sure how to articulate that but the symmetry is lost.

I think you're closer to the right solution than we think you are...

·
Registered
536 Posts
the look and the position of the cans ain't that new. i mean the bike looks best with a single can on one side. probably, to still have the clean look of the tail, it would be nice to create an old-school-dual-can-lower or mid-high mounted position like the first monster models had.

here a pic of a modded fighter from ducati berlin, obviously with 1098/1198 cans

source:www.1000ps.at

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's mor like it!!!!

Of course it looks like a 1098 tail section, wonder how the DTC sensor fits with that tail?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We took off the number plate, turned the pipes in more, modified the exhaust cover for more heel clearance:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well that's looking pretty awesome! My only concern would be heat like on the 1098. I guess it could be powder coated. Would you be making it with Carbon cans and could you offer db killers as an option?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts