Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duc owner (Multi 1200 currently), looking for a second bike, particularly for track time but I'm older so not interested in a full supersport anymore. Pretty close to buying a 12 Tuono V4R, but also looking at the 848SF. On the surface, seems like a no brainer to me to get the Tuono, given the price difference is immaterial to me, but I thought I'd ask owners here. Why did you go for the 848SF?

Not interested in the 1098SFS or comments about relative reliability, just what you saw/see in the 848SF that made you pick it and what you love about it now that you own it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was in the same shoes, but with different reasons. I wanted to buy a bike that I wouldn't track. I have my R6 for the track...

The new Tuono is made for the track IMHO... If I bought that bike instead of the 848SF, I would be single again because my wife would drop my ass for having two track bikes.

The 848SF is fun, but I would much rather take my R6 to the track (or a Tuono if I had one).

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you are looking for a second bike for mainly track time a full out track bike might be more up your alley. Something cheap and easy to fix once you lay it down on the track. And since you have the mts1200 already, you have a very nice touring commuting bike to ride around normally. Unless you mean you just want something sportier in general? I've always seen the sf as more the bike for someone who can only have 1 bike and couldnt justify sbk ergos 24/7 but wanted sbk handling and power.

While the sf ergos are a great balance for a track oriented street bike, it still falls short of being the full monty for the track. I had no problems with front end grip but I've heard of issues with it once you really start pushing hard due to the lack of weight upfront. As in some people just suddenly losing the front for no apparent reason. This is xp from a sf1098 though... but I'm guessing that the sf848 should have the same issues.

And btwn the sf848 and the v4r... if you really dont care about looks the tuono is prob a better bike. More power, prob better tc (i've heard that the aprc package is basically the best in the biz right now), amazing exhaust note... and the ugliest face in the industry. But that extra fairing coverage will come in handy on the track. Like, I really appreciate the numbers and engine on that bike but I could never own one simply due to the looks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not interested in a track only bike. Done that. Body doesn't like a full on supersport anymore and I'm looking for a bike that can do double duty in the mountains, while I leave the Multi set up for longer distance, year round riding and commuting.

Personally, I love the looks of the Tuono and consider that a pro, rather than a con, versus the SF. The pros I see in the 848SF so far are: a little lighter, doesn't run as hot and less ridiculous motor/better mileage. And Duc dealer network is better around here and much closer to me.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Get the tuono V4R. Its not as ugly as other people make it seem. I thought the same until I saw it in person. I really really liked it. The quality of the materials used looked superb and the perforated yellow/black leather seat looked really nice. I am sure the 162hp will do you good in the track.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree that that bike is hideous but there is no denying it's pretty sick numbers and performance that every tester/rider seems to get out of it. It's nothing I would ever consider getting though. SF 848 is everything I ever wanted in a naked/SF style bike....style, usable performance, comfort, sound, feel.

Try both and see what you like more is the best answer anyone can give you. I know test riding isn't always available, but it certainly can be the defining decision maker.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So.. I'm biased on looks.. the Tuono while not Ugly.. it's not as attractive (to me) as the SF in person.

I went with the SF 848, due to the following reasons...

- Power.. its more than I can use for canyon riding/street and for the ocational trackday 132 bhp.. is enough...

- Lightness.. (although the SFS is lighter) Ducatis tend to do very well in this aspect..

- 15,000 mile interval service!

- Suspension..Fully adjustable but "low end". I lack the education on propper suspension tuning, and until then the topic is a black box.. so why buy something that it will take me years to understand and until then can't fully take advantage off..

- Nice pricepoint!.. (I actually want to do the opposite.. buy a Multi!)

- Sound.. I like the Grrr sound of Desmo Valves... better for bikes than I4 metallic sound..

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like all of your points strouble to a TEE ......except the I4 comment. The Tuono is a V4 and sounds pretty slick too. Not quite as beautiful as the Duc twins but very nice still.

·
Registered
635 Posts
There were basically two reasons I chose the SF over the Ape, lack of dealer support for Aprilia around me, and the Transformer front end on it.......I already own ugly and fast bikes ;).

....the only other aspect that swayed me was the power distribution of the SF vs. the Tuono...........torque makes me happy in my pants :D

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Get the tuono V4R. Its not as ugly as other people make it seem. I thought the same until I saw it in person. I really really liked it. The quality of the materials used looked superb and the perforated yellow/black leather seat looked really nice. I am sure the 162hp will do you good in the track.
Why does aprilia make some of its bikes so ugly... Let's call e baby what it is.... I think if the aprilia Tuono and even the rsv4 were easier to look at they would totally sell out... Technologically and as a value proposition they are superior no?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Why does aprilia make some of its bikes so ugly... Let's call e baby what it is.... I think if the aprilia Tuono and even the rsv4 were easier to look at they would totally sell out... Technologically and as a value proposition they are superior no?
I do think that the SF looks much better but the aprilia isnt that horrendous either. It takes time getting used to and it does look better in person than on pictures by a wide margin. Then again its a matter of taste. I think the BMW S1krr looks pretty frikkin awesome yet other people think it looks like a retarded fish frog.

PS I also think the Ape is better looking than the Multi yet I like the multi as well.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, they are selling out. Dealers are selling every one they get. My dealer has even presold the ones that he's still waiting for from the factory.

My biggest concern with the 848SF is front end feel/suspension and how it would do on the track running hard. I love the 848 motor.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....the only other aspect that swayed me was the power distribution of the SF vs. the Tuono...........torque makes me happy in my pants :D
Tuono makes more torque everywhere along the rev range than the 848SF.

C'mon guys, give me something here!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Tuono makes more torque everywhere along the rev range than the 848SF.

put down the flippin' pie-charts and graphs and tell me which motor FEELS stronger down low....which one jumps out of corners like it's ass is on fire?
(if I recall correctly the Tuono is up 30 lbs. on the SF....and I guarantee it's c/g is alot higher up.)

I've ridden both, and yes it's subjective.....but the SF just seems easier to ride quickly, at least in the tighter stuff I usually gravitate towards.

BUT..........for the track the Tuono is better in almost every way (except for drawing split-tails into your paddock;))

·
Registered
223 Posts
I actually find the front end during cornering very planted, stable and confidence inspiring..

Its ridiculous the lack of force needed to place the bike in the corner where you want it.. It might be because of the lack of steering damper, but I hadn't in 1,500 miles any indication that it needs one.

A key point I like is that is very narrow.. so the actual process of swinging your butt side to side in the canyons is a breeze..

Rev limit on 10,500 gives a lot of range with great powerband..

Great legroom..

(I haven't ridden, sat or looked the specs of the Ape.. so I can't compare..)

Trying to help here.. but I lack the precise info you want..

Seems to me your heart has spoken but you haven't listened.. (ape..) whatever choice.. its awesome.. you can't go wrong.

EDIT... This might help.. http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/04/finally-a-real-naked-supersport/

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The front of the bike reminds me of johnny 5 head.

But i agree it looks better in person. A friend just bought one, nice exhaust note too.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I parked nexted to a Tuono a few days ago. The guy had had it for 8 months I think he said, 7000mi. Honestly, the aesthetics were already wearing out. Its easy to make the SF look great again, and it can be made special with a few mods. The Aprila's strength is the smooth motor and wonderful top end. Thats it. Ride the 848sf and see if it is enough engine for you, because its not going to compete with the Tuono on the track. Also the higher pegs of the Tuono may be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey strouble thanks for the link to that article. Good read.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually find the front end during cornering very planted, stable and confidence inspiring..

Its ridiculous the lack of force needed to place the bike in the corner where you want it.. It might be because of the lack of steering damper, but I hadn't in 1,500 miles any indication that it needs one.

A key point I like is that is very narrow.. so the actual process of swinging your butt side to side in the canyons is a breeze..

Rev limit on 10,500 gives a lot of range with great powerband..

Great legroom..
(I haven't ridden, sat or looked the specs of the Ape.. so I can't compare..)

Trying to help here.. but I lack the precise info you want..

Seems to me your heart has spoken but you haven't listened.. (ape..) whatever choice.. its awesome.. you can't go wrong.

EDIT... This might help.. Finally, a real naked supersport | Hell for Leather
You've hit on one of my hot buttons there with the legroom. The ergos on the 848SF allow more legroom, though they also put me oddly over the front of the bike. I'm tall with long legs and the reason I got off my 2010 848 was hip problems caused the combination of the high pegs and forward lean, which turned my sciatica into incredibly painful hip spasms. Hence the Multi.

The Tuono is more roomy/upright up top, but less leg room.

I'm truly on the fence, but one thing I've learned after 30 years of riding streetbikes is that, after all is said and done and you boil down all the specs and BS, the bike you should buy is the bike that you would have the most trouble walking past in the garage and not getting on and taking a ride. In my mind, the Ape is more that bike than the SF, but they're close and I'm trying to make sure it's not the other way around. There are things in my head that say go SF (light, power good enough, dealer network, etc.), but I'm just wondering if it's going to be enough for me to grab those keys versus the Multi. Whereas, I'm pretty damn sure the power, handling and sound of the Ape will.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts