Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have been riding for over 40 years but am just now looking for my first Ducati. I have gotten to a point that an inline 4 engine is bland and not exciting to me anymore. So I love the naked bikes and am looking hard at the sf 848. (I like the vtwin) I have read that some models of Ducatis put an uncomfortable amount of exhaust heat on the butt or legs/thighs. My question is... does the streetfighter 848 do this? I'm sorry if it has been discussed before, but my search attempts have been unsuccessful thus far. Thanks for your comments, you have an excellent site here.

·
Bon Vivant
10,227 Posts
All Ducatis put out some heat. I think the SF is a little better than most of the latest bikes but it does put out a little heat. I have a 1098 SF and it might even be a little hotter (I haven't directly tested this) but what I do is wear leather riding pants and I honestly never even notice any heat from the engine. The few times that I've ridden in jeans I have noticed some heat.

Being that this is your first Ducati remember that a Ducati V-twin (along with engines like rotax, aprilia, KTM) is nothing like most V-twins that we think of in the US - these are high reving performance engine that make their power higher in the rev range, They are not made for cruising around at 2000RPM with instant torque, the power band starts at around 7K and ends at redline and on these bikes its 9500 I believe. but anything over say 4K or 4500 will get you a good punch. For me that high reving character is what makes Ducatis so amazing.

So If you've been riding I4 engines I think you'll like the Ducati character but remember the 9500 redline :wink2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Riding the SF848 yesterday at 14 degrees C is very pleasant with the engine heat. Hot days in Melbourne are 40+ and I would never consider riding the bike on those days. If continually moving then no problem. Stopping at lights, and then just after leaving the lights, the temp can be a little uncomfortable. On hot days I have been known to stand at the lights seeking relief.

Wearing leather is a lot better than denim for heat management.

Having said all that I love this bike. Some much character.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I consider my SFS to be very acceptable in the heat department. Especially the rear cylinder heat. On an 80f day it's not bad at all. I would think an 848sf would be about the same. However, I rode an 1199 Panigale and a 675 Daytona on an 80f day and the heat was unbearable. I wanted off both of them before I reached the 5 mile test loop I was on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you gentlemen for the replies. I reside in Florida where it is common for temps to be well into the 90's(F). This gives me some good information to consider before making my decision. Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for the replies. I reside in Florida where it is common for temps to be well into the 90's(F). This gives me some good information to consider before making my decision. Cheers.
Similar climate where I live, hot and humid most of the year.
The streetfighters are fine. The exhaust layout makes all the difference. The superbikes of that era get a little warm in the seat, but it is mainly the panigale series that you want to avoid. 899 to 1299, all were horrible to ride in traffic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also don't really notice any heat in the summer here in the northeast - the routing works well and the pipes are only really close to the back of your heal and don't radiate much heat. It is much better than my monster 821 that had the stylized loop pipes on the right side of the bike - those threw heat like crazy - the streetfighter routing under the engine and behind the engine works much better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The heat reflecting foil on the inside of the heel exhaust guard came off and I replaced it with layers of thermal tape from home depot. It works better than stock likely because I added a number of layers.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ya bunch of soft ass sissies .... it's been over 122f pretty much all summer here.

(of which I spent most of inside my air conditioned home) .... :laugh:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
You probably will have roasted nuts in that kind of heat no matter what kind of motorcycle you ride.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You probably will have roasted nuts in that kind of heat no matter what kind of motorcycle you ride.
You learn to park your bike in the shade .. if there's no shade then you try to bring something along to cover the seat with (small towel or whatever). Straddling a black seat that's been sitting in the Arizona sun for any more than a few minutes without being covered will scorch yer ass like a well done steak! Same with black handlegrips. I wear thick racing gloves ... the sweat soaks them pretty good and as soon as you get moving that sweat evaporates producing a really nice cooling effect. But I will admit that sitting in traffic at a signal among a bunch of idling cars with the 180+ degree heat of the asphalt street rising up into your helmet is pretty brutal.

On the other side of that same coin, we have a nine month long riding season. Even longer if you're willing to get a little beat up by the mid day heat. Morning rides are sheer bliss though ... right about Sunrise, or maybe an hour before.

:smile2:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The early morning rides do sound nice. I usually don't leave my bikes parked in the sun very long. However, one time I went to meet a friend for lunch about an hour away. The bike I was riding has a black gel seat. After two hours in the sun it was hot as hell. The seat stayed miserably hot for almost the entire ride home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts