Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having battery troubles. Unfortunately, I mainly go on short distance rides that rarely get to acceptable speeds and distances for battery recharge (big city with traffic). I have seen Shorai recommended and believe Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 would be the appropriate battery for a streetfighter 848. Can anyone confirm this and/or offer their experience with this battery? Is removal of my dead battery simple?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Battery is a YT12B-BS which cross references to Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 and is listed for 848 SF so you should be good to go with that one.

Removal is dead simple

1. Pop off the passenger pillion/cover using your ignition key
2. Remove the 2 screws closest to the front of the motorcycle using the hex key provided

You will then have access to the battery. Remove the negative (black) terminal first.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you're inadequately charging your battery due to short distance travel, then you should seriously consider a way of connecting it to a tender when not in use.

Your battery needs the most juice when starting and you'll start eating away at the same charged cells if you're rarely ever able to charge all the cells fully which will prematurely decrease the life of the battery.

Also, just in case you didn't already know, you'll need a specific charger for that type of battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To add onto what azt108 said, you may also want to keep in mind that Shorai batteries are very sensitive to going flat. If they are fully discharged, it can cause permanent damage. This happened to me with my old 1098: PO had installed a Shorai, and it went flat during my first winter of storage, which ended up ruining the battery. Shorai was good about partially warrantying it, but it still cost me some money.

They're good batteries, and have their advantages, but the battery tender is definitely a necessity if the bike is going to sit for more than a couple weeks at a time, or if you're doing short trips as azt noted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts