Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...as is well documented on this forum and elsewhere, the fuel cell on the Streetfighter can become problematic with age and swelling is a common issue, particulalrly in regions where ethanol gas is common.

A while back, a number of forum members put deposits down on a really slick looking aluminum tank group buy from Motowheels but supply was limited to 6 or so tanks and to my knowledge, aren’t going back into production.

So, the purpose of this thread which is to understand and discuss which options people are going with nowadays, as more and more of the OEM tanks fail.

From what I can see, these are the options but would love anyone with experience to chime in:

1) Aluminum tank: Kinda like unicorns. There are 6 in the world so they may as well be made out of unobtanium.

2) Used OEM tank off eBay/Craigslist: Will eventually develop same issue (if not caswell-coated) so buying one could be a crap shoot.

3) New OEM tank from Ducati: Not sure what this would cost but I suppose it’s one of the better options (and get it coated right away).

4) Carbon Fiber tanks: Looks like there are quite a few versions of these which vary wildly in price (and probably in quality). CF itself isn’t great with fuel so some coating may be needed here as well.

Chime in with your thoughts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I remember correctly a new tank is around $1000USD. Don’t quote me on that.

Carbon fiber tanks run around $2k and I would caswell quote that ASAP.

You can find the tanks on eBay, but last I looked the majority of them are damaged in some way.

I personally would go CF if the aluminum tanks definitely aren’t going back into production.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in the market for a Streetfighter myself, hoping to score one this summer. After hearing about this issue, knowing that my country(Norway) is leading in ethanolpercentage in our gasoline, I did some reasearch. This firm caught my interest; https://eti-fuelcel.com
They seem to make good quality fuel tanks, and it says on their page that the Streetfighter tank will come soon. I suggest asking how soon, because who doesn't like weigthsavings ^^ For me the added option for a slightly bigger tank(probably 20-21litres) would be highly considered, since I drive a few long trips each summer.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Mine has been professionally coated since Jan 2013 I believe and it has held together well.

I even have 2nd larger 1098 tank as a back up. But doesn’t seem likely or I’ll need it at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bon Vivant
11,300 Posts
Plastic, fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber, are all tanks made with polymers and ALL of them will be effected by Ethanol, even the caswell coating will eventually fail. I had mine coated about 6 years ago and my tank held up well for years but it is now starting to swell. There are only 2 answers to this problem that will work with 100% certainty; Dont put ethanol into your tank or use a metal tank.

Caswell will help for a while but it's not a permanent fix.

·
Registered
497 Posts
1) Aluminum tank: Kinda like unicorns. There are 6 in the world so they may as well be made out of unobtanium.
Are there really no more tanks being made? It's been a while since I've checked in on that thread. Sucks to hear, I was hoping to get my hands on one.

If that's the case, I would just get a bunch of used tanks and have them prepped for use. So clean them up, Caswell coat the interior, get them painted and prepped so you can just swap them on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Guys -

Didn't want to start another thread - on my second tank (both expanded). Just completed a 1500 mile 4 day weekend - and had the dreaded fuel hose/filter issue in the gas tank (it happens every 5K miles or so) - I've known this tank has been expanding, the side panels dont fit well and the getting it back on after my last valve job was a pain - this time getting the tank back on, while on the side of the road was almost impossible.

So looking for some opinions: I've got close to 25K miles on my SFS - and she runs really well (although the clutch gets grabby when hot, the fuel pump issue from time to time, and even with auto-tune she can still be a bear at parking lot speeds) ---- in any case I'm going to need to replace this tank. As much as I would like the aluminum tank - I don't know if i have the time or patience to wait (even though I'm watching the new vendor thread above closely) - and I'm leaning towards a CF tank.

My questions:

1. Any experience with the CF tanks and specific vendors? (good and bad) --- FlyinBDG - which vendor? are you certain it was fuel related or coating related - that allowed the tank to swell?
2. I plan to caswell coat the inside or have it sent out to be done professionally. (any preferred vendors - including the above)
3. What are the drawbacks to CF tanks - outside of aesthetic and unique appeal - what is the draw towards aluminum over CF?
4. Im looking at motocomposites, OPP, motowheels - any other recommendations on vendors?

A few notes:
1. I ride this bike - long trips and in every type of weather, sometimes with full givi or Kriega bags and with a tank bag.
2. Any one find a permanent fix to the intank fuel hose issue? Outside of the oetiker clamp? Any other clamps successful? Anyone replace that fuel filter? (Part number??)
3. Its becoming harder and harder to find a non-swollen, non-rashed, color matched tank....which is why im looking towards CF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts