Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent 6 days going to Cali and back on the GT1000 -- Fabulous bike. 2200 miles total. Took Highway 101 down and Highway 1 part of the way back up. Superslabbed it the last day. I put in 9 to 11 hr riding days except for Saturday when I hung out with my brother and Sister in Sacramento.

I love driving in California. I'm no squid but they seem to play by different rules down there. Everyone speeds and the cops don't seem to care. I kept getting challenged to "race," which never happened in Washington or Oregon. For example, two Beemers tried to get cute heading into Sac on I-5. They pulled up beside me while I was cruising at 80 and waved "bye bye" and quickly took off. A few seconds later blew past them at 100 and waved back. They tried to keep up for a while but eventually quit. We passed a trooper and I swear his head was back and he was asleep.

A few days later, I hit Highway 1 going North at 7am and had the whole road almost to myself. I didn't have to pass too many people until 9.30 and never hit significant traffic until 11 am, when I was almost done. Majestic. Anyway, a 350z tried pretty hard to hang with me at the tail end of the highway as I passed all the logging trucks -- he did a pretty good job too.

My grand triumph, though, came on Tuesday morning. I hit the road at 6am; the sun was just coming up and it was misty and beautiful. My plan was to cut over to I-5 on 199 and have a casual ride home; I was rocking the iPod.

As soon as I hit 199 I realized I needed to wake up quickly. The first 30 miles or so twist tightly through trees and rock walls, plus the temperature dropped instantly. Also, I could barely feel the fingers on my right hand, which sometimes happens when I first start riding.

After a few miles I was doing alright and keeping a decent pace. I hit a straight corridor with a passing lane and blew past a pickup and then hit the next long section of curves. I glanced in my rearview and through the trees I noticed a single headlight back in the distance. Is that the truck? Naw, only one light. It must be another motorcyclist, and he must be really moving if he is that close.

Effin' California, man. Well, I'll be damned if I'm going to get headhunted in the twisties without a fight, so I took it up a few notches. After a few corners I checked the mirror. Nothing. Ha. Anyone can go fast in a straight line. I kept up the pace, worked on being smooth because my hand was dead asleep and my visor was misting over; I had to keep wiping it to see anything.

Then I checked my mirror again and saw that the headlight was even closer. Much closer. Damn, this guy is flying! He must be good or just crazy, possibly a track racer or something. So I became determined to make him earn his kill. I flipped my visor up and gave it all I had.

I was scraping my boots mid-turn and shaking my hand violently between the corners to get the blood flowing. I got a little sloppy in places but I never crossed the centerline. Eventually the next straight section materialized and I flew out of the trees, hit the brakes, moved to the right lane and waited for the guy to zoom past me. I was feeling a bit smug.

Nothing.

Puzzled, I checked my mirror.

Nothing.

Wow. There were no turn-offs. Did he wreck? Why would he stop? Confused, I headed slowly into the next twisty section and as I did, I noticed that some of the road signs had a single light above them.

I had evidently just taught a lesson to a bunch of stationary signs.
:D

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Awesome post!

I have similar sentiments about riding in CA.

Also, had a similar experience on a local ride recently where I was trying harder and harder to catch up to a group of friends who were about 30 minutes ahead of me. I was hauling ass, riding faster and faster thinking "where are these guys?", only to arrive at our destination to find nobody there. Turns out they made a lap at one of the twisty sections and ended up behind me most of the way! Was fun trying to catch up though!

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
Well, I for one am shocked to learn that there are apparently "Street Racers" in our company. ;)

RpM

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great Story

It would be a sad day for Ducati if one of there own was overtaken by a light on a pole

I have had a few things fitted to my bike recently by no nonsense knowledgable bike people and both have commented on what a good engine the 2 valve DS1000 is. Two good size valves, reliable and with a strong bottom end. You can do a lot of miles without a worry in the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts