Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was looking at the amount of posts on this forum for the Streetfighter and the Multistradas. Impressive numbers (twice as many almost for the newly created Streetfighter).

If this is accurate there must be a super large contingent of SF fans. Maybe I need to give this bike another look??

Mark :rolleyes:

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Definitely give it a look, better yet ride it, it's a blast. I want one! Now for Multi (former owner of an `04 and `06) those guys are out riding not posting to forums :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just was looking at the amount of posts on this forum for the Streetfighter and the Multistradas. Impressive numbers (twice as many almost for the newly created Streetfighter).

If this is accurate there must be a super large contingent of SF fans. Maybe I need to give this bike another look??

A multistrada owner prefers to ride his bike instead of the keyboard.....

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'm looking forward to the rumored sport touring replacement that's replacing the multistrada next year.

Sorry guys, the MS may be wonderful bike but its not so purty! ;) and the seat absolutely sucks!

Chris

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, rode a streetfighter S and got to say, didn't do it for me personally. I probably am in a minority on this though. What riding the streetfigher did for us was made my wife and I try out the m1100s, and yes, we bought that one.

Different strokes for all,

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Actually, rode a streetfighter S and got to say, didn't do it for me personally. I probably am in a minority on this though. What riding the streetfigher did for us was made my wife and I try out the m1100s, and yes, we bought that one.

Different strokes for all,

Mark
I've heard the same thing from a couple others, it seems the Monster is a good fit. The ST to me looks like a superbike with it's fairings ripped off. And tiny too. However, a few tasteful mods can fix that and Martin over at Motowheels did exactly that to his ST. Others should check it out for some ideas.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Actually not really true. The front end rake positions you OVER the bike a bit but riding position is far more user friendly on the SF, I've logged nearly 2k on mine. Most legroom of any duc I've owned (748, 996, monsters x2). The one real mod I'm contemplating is changing out the handlebars to give me a bit higher bar height closer to what my tuono has and my brutale had.

Love the power, but too much for me, I'd have been just as happy with an 848 based sf.

Rumor is that the new sport touring bike ducati is working on (if the economy doesn't kill it) is supposed to be quite interesting.

Not only has motowheels done an SF, so has shift-tech, see the sf forum.

Chris

I've heard the same thing from a couple others, it seems the Monster is a good fit. The ST to me looks like a superbike with it's fairings ripped off. And tiny too. However, a few tasteful mods can fix that and Martin over at Motowheels did exactly that to his ST. Others should check it out for some ideas.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Congrat's on the Multi, great all around motorcycle. The looks grew on me, though I'm behind doing a face-lift and can't wait to see the replacement.

I've only put about 80 miles on a demo Streetfighter, and maybe because I'm 5'-6" but the size and ergos were good. I did a little of everything, highway, city, and twisty roads and had a blast. It's my next motorcycle to go with my current Hypermotard. That is unless I decide to do longer rides than the Multi replacement may get the nudge.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
of all the Ducati's i've been fortunate to own, the Multistrada and my new Monster make the perfect pair and fit both my riding style and riding needs best. And like one of the individuals said, there's not much to write about the Multi's as they're truly a perfect all around bike.:) The Streetfighter may too be a great bike, but the more time I spend reading that forum (4k rpm and below, right foot on rearset, etc), the more I'm happy that I chose a Monster. Plus, the Streetfighter looks just as bad to me (echo John's comment) as my Multistrada looks to some of you. Crazy wicked bike I'm sure though, and very much unlike the Multi, so no real fair comparisons can be made. In time, and as new owners take delivery, the Streetfighter Forum should become much more robust.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

this is not meant to be totally sarcastic, maybe a little, but not too much.
if all you are concerned about is number of posts on a forum, get a gixxer.

the bikes are apples and oranges.
first, ask yourself what kind of riding will you be doing.
if it is mainly short distance and always near a gas station then try each and then choose.
if there is touring in your future, then the range of a multi may have made the decision for you.
i recently did a ride and found a stretch of road that was posted 163 miles to the next gas.
I don't think a streetfighter could have made it to the next gas. i know my 748 wouldn't have made it. no problem with the multi. and no problem carrying tent, sleeping bag and gear for the 3,250 mile trip.
get a test ride on each and then decide what you want/need. don't worry about what gets the most postings on a forum, just get what lights your fire

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that if I had to put only one bike in my garage, it'd be a Streetfighter, this year. Ask next year AFTER the 1198 Multi comes out. The Multi as it is probably the smartest bike in the range and has that great air cooled engine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Caddy,

If you don't like this thread, then why post to it. I just thought that it was interesting that so many people are posting on the SF forum. (It is a new forum and has received more posts than the Multi forum which has been around literally years longer) Get it? If anything this is a strong positive for the streetfighter crowd I would say.

This makes you believe I need a gixxer? Guess I better trade in the 4 ducs we own and maybe my honda?

Mark

·
Registered
369 Posts
You know, I don't really think you can say, "this bike is better than that bike" when it comes to any bike. If you want a naked superbike with upright ergos, then the SF is the one. If you want a comfortable touring bike to ride all over, then the Multi fits the bill. So, if you want what this model can do, then why bash the other models because they aren't designed to do it. An 1198 is faster than hell, but if you take it off roading you will be hating it real quickly.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i recently did a ride and found a stretch of road that was posted 163 miles to the next gas.
I don't think a streetfighter could have made it to the next gas..................

I believe it just might. The light on my SF comes up somewhere between 135 and 150 miles and it takes in 3.2 Gallons to fill up. The SF gas tank is 4.4 Gal

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Caddy,

If you don't like this thread, then why post to it. I just thought that it was interesting that so many people are posting on the SF forum. (It is a new forum and has received more posts than the Multi forum which has been around literally years longer) Get it? If anything this is a strong positive for the streetfighter crowd I would say.

This makes you believe I need a gixxer? Guess I better trade in the 4 ducs we own and maybe my honda?

Mark
I think its just normal people will post more in a new bike forum than in one thats been around for seven years, right? I don't see anything interesting or abnormal about that, I don't get it. Anyway, over time the Multi will spoil you. Its just so damn easy to jump on it and go somewhere. When riding superbikes, your pretty much stuck with what you have on, but with a Multi and its storage capacity you can bring a change of clothes or layers you can strip off. Besides that you can bring water, micro fiber towels, Plexus, lunch, whatever. I feel restricted on a superbike, they are great for a couple hours, no versatility though.

I didn't realize how nice it was having a bike with such great fuel range until I went on a couple extensive rides this past month. Seems we had to stop constantly for the superbikes to fuel up, in fact this was a reason why some were not inclined to go further out of fear of running out of gas.

I guess you can go on and on, but in reality we are talking about two different bikes. When the Multi converts to the 1098 powerplant next year it will have the advantage in just about all categories. Personally, I see no reason to jump on the new Multi, the 2v motor pulls like a beast in second gear, the power is surprisingly strong and again the fuel economy is a bonus. In conclusion, everyone knows the 2v has an excellent reputation for reliability and ease to work on as well. I thought it was a hair brained decision to go to the 1098 powerplant, how about offering a motor with longer intervals between valve clearance checks instead of turning everything into superbikes?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Personally, I prefer the streetfighter! When it comes to motorcycles, most veteran riders agree: Ride what you like; Ride what feels best to you! It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Remember, in the game of life, you're the star player, everyone else is just a spectator! :D

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
On my sf the light typically comes on around 150+ miles, this is on back country riding. I'm easily averaging well over 40mpg.

Chris

I believe it just might. The light on my SF comes up somewhere between 135 and 150 miles and it takes in 3.2 Gallons to fill up. The SF gas tank is 4.4 Gal

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just thought that it was interesting that so many people are posting on the SF forum. (It is a new forum and has received more posts than the Multi forum which has been around literally years longer) Get it? If anything this is a strong positive for the streetfighter crowd I would say.
Mark,

the explanation is likely related to existence of multistrada.net, a popular and active forum devoted to the Multistrada.

Its site stats show 67 posts a day average since April 2003, for a total of 156,000 posts on 18500 topics. :)

http://www.multistrada.net

There is no similar site devoted to the Streetfighter, AFAIK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts