Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So about a year ago, I rode the Diavel 1260S and the Multistrada Pikes Peak, both were phenomenal bikes and I was truly split between functional (Multistrada) and sex appeal (Diavel).

Long story short I couldn’t decide between the two and ended up with a KTM 1290 Super Duke GT. Same story with the KTMs, between the R aka Beast and wheelie monster and the GT, basically an R with removable bags (stock), windshield, heated grips, same engine and electronic suspension. While the R was exhilarating, the GT just checked all the boxes for me and gave me a blend between the functional and sex appeal I was looking for.

Fast forward, I’m back at the Ducati dealership checking out the new Multistrada V4S, some Panigale’s, and Streetfighters. I asked if they had a demo bike to test ride, as my dealer is really cool about test rides, meaning copy of license, sign the waiver and you get the keys and half a tank of gas. I don’t know if it’s just my luck or the dealer is well connected, but their demo bikes are always the top models with accessories, like the previous Diavel 1260s and Multistrada Pikes Peak, so why would this time be any different. The salesman proceeds to roll out a Streetfighter V4S with the $5k Akrapovic exhaust and hands me keys to their “demo” bike. I laughed and said this would be like going to Ford and telling them you want to test drive “a” mustang and they say ok, well all we got is this Shelby GT-500, lol.

So he cranks it up and I knew immediately why the exhaust was priced at $5k, it was absolutely nauseating, but in a good way. No YouTube video could ever do that thing justice. So I took off and rode that thing like a mad man, hey it ain’t mine and I had gas to burn, lol. I got it up to ‘Mexico’ speed limits and felt like a wind sail with no windshield, but the sound of the up shifting and down shifting through that Akrapovic was nothing short of controlled violence. My GAWD.

I didn’t get a chance to ride the Panigale, as there were no demo models, knowing my luck it would be a Superleggra demo, lol. But seriously, I’m curious now about the Panigale V4, as the Streetfighter with all the power it has, made me feel like I would never be able to experience it fully opened up because at 136 mph, I felt like I was about to be ripped off of it from the wind.

The worst part came after the ride, when I had to ride my stock exhaust Super Duke GT back home, where I promptly ordered an Austin Racing De-Cat belly exit exhaust system, lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lucky! Sounds like a Dealer that knows how "to deal."

When do you pick up your new V4S?
I still have a few more test drives, before I make a final decision. One thing I learned awhile back to prevent buyers remorse, is to ride every bike you ‘think’ you like or want.

So on my list:
  • The Kawasaki dealership, the supercharged ZH2.
  • The Kawasaki dealership, the supercharged ZH2.
  • Need to find a Panigale V4 to ride.
  • Got to ride a state over to the Aprilia dealer to ride the new RSV4.
  • Then I will hit up the Yamaha dealer to take out an R1. They also sell triumph, so I will see about the new speed triple.
  • Last, I need to hit up BMW for the S1000 R, which is sold in the same building as my local Ducati dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I just have the hearing of a rabbit, but am I the only one who thinks the stock exhaust is loud?
I wouldn’t know as I didn’t get to ride or hear one with a stock exhaust, but the dealer did say the stock sound was nice to when I gawked at the $5k price tag of the Akrapovic exhaust, which is ridiculous considering every other exhaust maker out there can make an exhaust from the exact same materials for $1k and under. I mean my friend is about the buy a used Kawasaki Ninja 650 for a starter bike that cost as much as the exhaust on the bike. That’s ridiculous.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think on the SFV4 it might be coming from the intake side as well. I guess it comes down to where you live and whether you mind or don't mind pissing off the neighbors on an early Sunday morning liftoff. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think on the SFV4 it might be coming from the intake side as well. I guess it comes down to where you live and whether you mind or don't mind pissing off the neighbors on an early Sunday morning liftoff. :)
No neighbors to worry about, just cops, lol.

·
Registered
Streetfighter V4 -2021
87 Posts
I am happy that my neighbors just love the sound of Streetfighter V4 engine. But I agree the bike could be a little more quiet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The stock exhaust is LOUD. People ask you what exhaust it has on it, bone stock.

The wind at high speeds is not so bad if you get into a tuck like you would on a faired bike.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Austin Racing... why?

In the interest of full disclosure I was on the KTM SDR FB page earlier today reading post after post from Richard Austin arguing he does more R&D than Akra... must have extra hours on the day given how often he's on FB....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Austin Racing... why?

In the interest of full disclosure I was on the KTM SDR FB page earlier today reading post after post from Richard Austin arguing he does more R&D than Akra... must have extra hours on the day given how often he's on FB....
Full Disclosure, price, looks and sound... I went with theAustin Racing not because I think it’s better than Akra, but because:
  • It’s cheaper by half for the same material (carbon fiber and titanium), except I also get a KTM Orange tip which sets the look off even more. That being said I can’t see for the life of me why I would pay double for the same type and amount of material.
  • It’s better sounding to me, like an STI boxer engine “Brap”.
  • I love the looks of a belly exit, over the bigger muffler, it’s more appealing to me. Since it ends at the front of the rear wheel, and it has a single sided swing arm it shows off the full wheel
  • As for who does more R&D... they are both pipes with less angles and more flow, not much magic to it in terms of performance gains, they are either the same or damn near close with proper tune
  • It’s just personal preference.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I love the looks of a belly exit, over the bigger muffler, it’s more appealing to me. Since it ends at the front of the rear wheel, and it has a single sided swing arm it shows off the full wheel
The "breadbox" thing?
Not a fan but showing off the wheel, it might grow on me.
Yes, totally subjective appearance wise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts