Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Here's the deal. I have an '06 S2R 800 with 15,000 miles. After going to my first race at barber last weekend, I've decided I want a sport bike that will do double duty as a 3-4 weekends/yr track bike. I've got 8k, cash, to spend and I'd like to stay Italian (even though my friends and sensibility say to go japanse).
I test rode an 848 from the ductruck and took it on a nice 40 mile ride. I love how smooth it is and how easily it corners. It also felt relatively comfortable. However, it didn't feel like it had as much pull off the line as my little S2R, which I suppose is due to the smaller piston/longer stroke of the 848's cylinders. Also not crazy about the wet clutch: if I'm gonna do ducati for a sportbike, it should have a dry, right?
Anyway, I pretty much can't afford an 848 anyway but am looking at a 749/s and 999/s. The 749 probably has even less take off in the low revs than the 848. I'm sure the 999 does but I haven't been able to find one to test ride and even though there are deals to be had out there I can't bring myself to buy before I try.
The other thought running through my head is to sell my S2R for 4-5 grand, buy an S4R/S, then spend 2 grand on a sv650 (or equal) that I can thrash on the track. My commute is 5 miles but I like to take longer trips on the weekends (5-600 miles/day). I don't know how that would be on a sportbike (probably miserable) and luggage is pretty much out of the question. Another thing is that the miles on the S2R are creeping up into the 'worthless resale' territory so if I ever conceive of selling it, I should do it now before it gets closer to the 18k mark. I've never ridden an S4 but I guess it would lay down like my S2. I'm probably about as indecisive as I can be.

Oh, another thing: my wife also has an S2R 800 and is not crazy about me having a faster monster but would rather I have a separate sportbike for when I get the itch for speed.
Thanks for listening to my ramblings and I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hello all. Here's the deal. I have an '06 S2R 800 with 15,000 miles. After going to my first race at barber last weekend, I've decided I want a sport bike that will do double duty as a 3-4 weekends/yr track bike. I've got 8k, cash, to spend and I'd like to stay Italian (even though my friends and sensibility say to go japanse).
I test rode an 848 from the ductruck and took it on a nice 40 mile ride. I love how smooth it is and how easily it corners. It also felt relatively comfortable. However, it didn't feel like it had as much pull off the line as my little S2R, which I suppose is due to the smaller piston/longer stroke of the 848's cylinders. Also not crazy about the wet clutch: if I'm gonna do ducati for a sportbike, it should have a dry, right?
Anyway, I pretty much can't afford an 848 anyway but am looking at a 749/s and 999/s. The 749 probably has even less take off in the low revs than the 848. I'm sure the 999 does but I haven't been able to find one to test ride and even though there are deals to be had out there I can't bring myself to buy before I try.
The other thought running through my head is to sell my S2R for 4-5 grand, buy an S4R/S, then spend 2 grand on a sv650 (or equal) that I can thrash on the track. My commute is 5 miles but I like to take longer trips on the weekends (5-600 miles/day). I don't know how that would be on a sportbike (probably miserable) and luggage is pretty much out of the question. Another thing is that the miles on the S2R are creeping up into the 'worthless resale' territory so if I ever conceive of selling it, I should do it now before it gets closer to the 18k mark. I've never ridden an S4 but I guess it would lay down like my S2. I'm probably about as indecisive as I can be.

Oh, another thing: my wife also has an S2R 800 and is not crazy about me having a faster monster but would rather I have a separate sportbike for when I get the itch for speed.
Thanks for listening to my ramblings and I appreciate the advice.
why not trade the monster in for a sport classic 1000s or a used Paul Smart? They run the track nicely, though they lack the top end of the 4 valve sbk's, the 1000ds motors have the torque off the line and cornering ability that will keep you smiling.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My suggestion would be to pick up the beater track bike first of all. Bet you enjoy the track much more on it than on an expensive Duck that is also your road bike. Plus, you can prep the track bike once and be done.

After a few track days you'll have an idea where you want to go with your riding.

·
Registered
516 Posts
what tracks are close to you or what type of tracks ae close to you. If your going to be going to a tight technical track vs a big fast track i would take that into consideration as to what you buy.

can you prep a bike and do the maintanence yourself??

It is very nice having a track day only bike.

i currently have a little honda rs125 for a track bike and love it but obviously thats not for everyone.

cruise the wera forum and you can by a nice track prepped bike for cheap. If your heart is set on a ducati your quest will be more difficult for sure but they are out there.

good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd suggest getting a cheap dedicated track bike, some used GSXR, F4i, R6, etc... whatever you like and use the money you save by going on more track days! The Ducati's are great, but the Japanese bikes are excellent cost effective track machines. My motto is - if I can't find a replacement part for it within 15minutes on ebay for less than what I'm willing to pay, it's not the track bike for me!

More track days, more spares, more tires, more fuel... etc... are going to be more fun than having two street bikes and going to the track occasionally.

There's a mental component to it as well - once you resolve yourself to having a dedicated track machine you are able to enjoy the experience a lot more. You won't find yourself worrying that if you wreck (and if you're on the track - you will, eventually) that your ride home is ruined or that your ride next week with buddies is now canceled..

·
Registered
387 Posts
I completely, completely agree with the above posters -- get a dedicated track beater. Would be so, so much more fun. As for the street, get whatever you are attracted to the most, before you start asking logical questions :)

And VCYC-- pics of the honda 125 for encouragement would be a nice thing :D

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No one has mentioned getting a used 748 for a dedicated track bike. They are fast enough, corner and brake well and can be found for reasonable dollars. Why is everyone so afraid of a Ducati as a track bike? I raced my 1982 Pantah years ago and found it a blast and not too maintenance-intensive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the advice. Pretty much on par with what I'm hearing already. To answer a few qualifying questions: -
I'm close to Road Atlanta, Barber, Roebling, Carolina Motorspeedway, and others. Varying track types for sure.
-My neighbor has a 748s street and just picked up a 748 for track that he picked up for 3 grand and he's been very satisfied.
-I'm shying away from used dedicated track bikes more than ~4 or 5 years old unless I can find out the whole story with how well the bike has been maintained. So the 2000-2001 sv650's or the like is out.
- So far the top semi-reasonable prospects are the the 749 track bike in the classifieds section and an 08 848 with a salvage title for $7400 that looks great, but it's 2 hours away and in an insurance lot that is only open during business hours, so I have to buy it without seeing it. Supposedly it only has a few scratches on the fairings from a lowside.
-I have always admired and, frankly, lusted after, the 999. I started watching motorcycle racing with Bayliss was racing on a Duc and, even though most people don't care for the vertical headlight and dss, I think the bike as a whole represents all that is exotic about this small motorcycle shop that continues to beat up on all the big companies on the track.
As much as it doesn't make any practical sense, I feel like this might be my one shot to have enough disposable cash around to buy such a bike... at least for a very long time. Therefore, although I probably be worried about wrecking (I probably would wreck it) and the price of replacement parts and the expensive service intervals, I'm currently trying to talk myself out of overspending on a couple of 999's that I'm looking at.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I completely, completely agree with the above posters -- get a dedicated track beater. Would be so, so much more fun. As for the street, get whatever you are attracted to the most, before you start asking logical questions :)

And VCYC-- pics of the honda 125 for encouragement would be a nice thing :D
post pics of my bike ohh no not that, lol, ill post some up tommorow when im home

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Its actually a very simple answer...

749S. ;)

Great street bike, Great track bike, Lots of them on the market with track fairings already. Plenty of power, if you crash it, there are lots of parts available and the best thing is; they're super cheap!

The 748R is another great bike, but they're more rare and Ducatisti collect them and hold onto them. The regular 748/916/996 are old and ya know what, why bother getting an old clunker?

We all have our own opinions on this subject, and I bought an 848 for my daily rider and ya know what? I wish I had a monster almost every day of the week, except when I'm splitting lanes and the 848 is SO much better at that, then the monster. Needless to say, I say keep the monster (awesome bike) buy a 749S and ride the crap out of it. Best years are 2005/2006 and arn't maintenance hogs in any form. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
How about a track-only bike:

Yamaha TZ-250:

Aprillia RS250:

Honda RS 250:

I know that used Aprillia's go for about 5 grand, depending on condition and spare parts. The TZ 250 and Honda can be more expensive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
+1 on the 749s. Or a 999. There is simply nothing like a Duc on the track!!! I think it's crazy to own a sbk and not track it. Once you do, you'll wonder why people bother riding them on the street. So keep the Monster for the street.

I had a 749s track bike and the maintenance is not any worse than a jap bike really. And i can tell you that they crash very well:D I tried a lowside and a highside to make sure and both times was just typical levers, pegs, clip-on ect.

With the tracks you listed in your area, you'll be addicted in no time. I think you will find if you go with a street bike it will spend most of the time all taped up waiting for the next track day any way.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
thanks for all the advice. Pretty much on par with what I'm hearing already. To answer a few qualifying questions: -
I'm close to Road Atlanta, Barber, Roebling, Carolina Motorspeedway, and others. Varying track types for sure.
-My neighbor has a 748s street and just picked up a 748 for track that he picked up for 3 grand and he's been very satisfied.
-I'm shying away from used dedicated track bikes more than ~4 or 5 years old unless I can find out the whole story with how well the bike has been maintained. So the 2000-2001 sv650's or the like is out.
- So far the top semi-reasonable prospects are the the 749 track bike in the classifieds section and an 08 848 with a salvage title for $7400 that looks great, but it's 2 hours away and in an insurance lot that is only open during business hours, so I have to buy it without seeing it. Supposedly it only has a few scratches on the fairings from a lowside.
-I have always admired and, frankly, lusted after, the 999. I started watching motorcycle racing with Bayliss was racing on a Duc and, even though most people don't care for the vertical headlight and dss, I think the bike as a whole represents all that is exotic about this small motorcycle shop that continues to beat up on all the big companies on the track.
As much as it doesn't make any practical sense, I feel like this might be my one shot to have enough disposable cash around to buy such a bike... at least for a very long time. Therefore, although I probably be worried about wrecking (I probably would wreck it) and the price of replacement parts and the expensive service intervals, I'm currently trying to talk myself out of overspending on a couple of 999's that I'm looking at.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Are you expecting to pay someone to work on the track bike, or are you going to do it? If you work on it yourself, then the age doesn't matter that much. I think a 999 is not a good track bike unless the track is really huge. I have no experience with track bikes though, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
475 Posts
+1 for the 749s or 749r.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the comments. I do like the 749s. Remember though, I only have 8 grand to spend, and that includes bodywork if I have to buy it.

there's a 748 on ebay for 3800 with sharksinz body work and only 2800 miles. I could get that, sell my s2r and have enough left over for an s4r(t/s) for the street.
I would prefer a 749, like some of you have recommended, but that would mean sticking with my s2r.
I'm gonna keep shopping...
thanks again for the comments.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
thanks for the comments. I do like the 749s. Remember though, I only have 8 grand to spend, and that includes bodywork if I have to buy it.
There are plenty of 749's in that price range. Just remember, 749(S) not an R, not a base... the (S) model is the one to look at. There was one on here recently that went for $7500 bux with everything you're looking for, so just keep an eye open.

there's a 748 on ebay for 3800 with sharksinz body work and only 2800 miles. I could get that, sell my s2r and have enough left over for an s4r(t/s) for the street.
Ebay is not a great place to buy Ducati's. Most people put bikes up there if they are super rare, or just piles of junk. You need to look locally and track fairings are cheap... As much as I love the S4R, its a lot of bike.

I would prefer a 749, like some of you have recommended, but that would mean sticking with my s2r. I'm gonna keep shopping...
Keep your eyes open and whenever you see a higher price then what you're interested in spending, you can always talk the seller down because used 848's are 9k and they're a much better bike out of the box. I wouldn't doubt you could talk yourself into a sub 7k 749S if you worked hard enough. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
475 Posts
There are plenty of 749's in that price range. Just remember, 749(S) not an R, not a base... the (S) model is the one to look at. There was one on here recently that went for $7500 bux with everything you're looking for, so just keep an eye open.
Why not an "R" model?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why not an "R" model?

I think it's because I only have 8 grand to spend. If you can show me an R for 8k, I'll take it.

tye,
what do you think of the 749 track bike in the classifieds? it's a base but he has upgraded the rear shock to a penske dbl clicker. The only other difference in S and base are the brakes and front fork, right?
He says he's only done half of a track day on it since he converted it and he has all the street stuff except for the mids.

I'm not in a huge hurry but there's a track day at Barber the last weekend of may and it would be great if I could make it with my neighbor.

maybe by the time I have a bike picked out I'll have enough posts to post in the classifieds section.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts