Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my 999, I took out for a nice ride and and I noticed besides its open clutch cover rattle, at lights with it in nutural, I blimp it and hear it whirl? I don't think that is a normal sound for a dry clutch. It has only 4800 miles on it and had the full service done at 3750. It sat a lot in a garage. I am worried and think i need to take it in and get checked, hate to have anything bad happen as I know these are not cheap bikes

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
It sounds like it could be a clutch hub bearing in the case. That's pretty low mileage for that to happen but it is a Ducati. If it sounds like your 999 has a supercharger on it then it could be that bearing. They're are some YouTube videos of this sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your spot on with the noise. The bike sat for long periods of time at the previous owners how even though he did take care of it. He rode it 1200 miles in 3 years. I do have use my clutch a lot because if you saw my street you would cringe so I try to idle it and not let it buck so I use the clutch quite a bit maybe causing the problem? The sound goes away when I pull my clutch in and it engages, so that kind of rules out my cam belt rollers or tensioners

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Another possibility could be the pressure plate bearing. That would be easier to fix than the hub bearing. The more you use the clutch the more the pressure plate bearing is loaded. I would think the noise would happen more with the clutch pulled in if it was the pressure plate bearing.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
....if the noise rises and falls w/ the revs than I would have it looked into...it could be a bad main bearing. However if the noise goes completely away that ruled out that.
I would do this, take apart the entire clutch, leave the basket ....but just checked the torque on the 7 or 8 bolts that hold it to the carrier. The tq should be around 27ft.lbs.
Then take each plate and clean it up. The metal plates can be Scotch Brited clean, the friction plates should be cleaned w/ a contact cleaner...I use dish washing detergent...as mine are organic. I understand Brakleen or a contact cleaner works well too.
Shuffle the pack, and put it all back together. See what happens. If the noise still persists, squirt a little WD40 into the bearing the resides in the Pressure plate...see if that loosens it up and removes the noise....IF it does, replace it. Also give the springs a good cleaning..if they are rusted, I would replace them.
The Dry clutch is extremely easy to service...in time you'll be able to tear it down and remove the basket in 15 minutes or less. The only issue is removing that huge nut...you'll need a breaker bar and a clutch basket holding tool. The socket is 32mmIIRC, basket holding tools are available from Desmo-Times...get a quality one.
Good Luck....

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Id start pull the clutch lever and see if noice differs.

Its what you do starting up a new engine, tight sound expected clutch in, back forth.
At start up, listen how it sounds clutch in clutch out.

Suspicious, tear the clutch discs and all so theres nothing touching.
A magma blaster center +20mm may work too.
Laser is lamer, more work later, may have to pick parts up, euu.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
God hope its not a main bearing I just bought it a month ago! Ill shit a brick if that is the case. The sound def coming from the clutch area, I pulled it in and a faint (whirl) still when throttle is blipped but silent when clutch is engaged

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
God hope its not a main bearing I just bought it a month ago! Ill shit a brick if that is the case. The sound def coming from the clutch area, I pulled it in and a faint (whirl) still when throttle is blipped but silent when clutch is engaged
....I very much doubt it's a main bearing....if it disappears, then it's confined to the clutch area..not sure what cryptic message TomTom was trying to tell you....:D
Take the clutch apart..clean everything well, reschuffle the clutch pack and see what happens. The PP bearing is easy to punch out....maybe that's the 20mm TT was mentioning:D...place the socket over the bearing and a few good whacks will drop it out. It goes in from the underside, so you'll need to place the PP on something that raises it a bit, strike it from the top. I use my faithful wood minter box...
if it doesn't come out, throw it in the freezer for several hours-it will shrink and pop right out. Install a new one, make sure it seats fully into the PP...the world is your oyster!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I played with it and listened closely when cold and at 200 f
And clutch noise is gone. when i start noticing the noise its usually 40 to 50 miles into the ride so maybe im hearing things?I don't wear ear plugs so could be me. started to hear it at the head at the roller for the cam belt, it's very hard to determine it lol, thing is soooo damn loud with termis and the open clutch, I sat outside with it for 15 min just listening lol and now am def haha, but I have a Ducati mechanic 15 min from me and he will look at for free since I'm a loyal customer. I don't trust myself pulling it apart. Rather watch a pro do it and then learn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure, guy I bough it from was serviced by a "expert" Ducati guy and was serviced last year, wondering if they did not change the rollers? I am a intern euro car mechanic and we usually change out the rollers and tensioners every time we do belts so maybe he just did the cam belt and left the old rollers in? Im still new to the service procedures on these things, if that is part of the kit for service?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The belts and rollers don't come in a kit. It is only recommended to check the rollers at the belt service intervals. Your rollers don't have many miles on them so I doubt the bearings are bad. If they are bad you have some rollers with a short lifespan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little update on the issue, so I took it to my Ducati guy, and I rode it first to get it to do the noise which of course it wont, so I had the cam belt and rollers checked and are fine but he said ride it on the next good weather day and see if it comes back so it did and I got it home after getting it to do it after 50 miles and it is not so much of a whirling noise as a screaching bearing when I took my helmet off, my lord was it loud, so I am going to get all the clutch bearings done and that should correct the problem, this thing sat and sat and sat some more over 8 years so that is why its prolly doing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
italia999 what's the good word, any update?

I very recently started having the same issue with my 2003 999... similar history as yours, PO kept as a garage decoration, now only 5700 miles on it - 1200 are because of me since I bought it last month and rode it home. New larger clutch master cylinder and cables done 2007, but it's been impossible to find neutral when running. He had the full 6K service done at a non-Ducati shop before I picked up the bike and still the 'finding neutral' problem exists (which I've been reading up on and have some work/testing to do)

BUT last week I began noticing a whirring (like a plastic stress grinding) sound while rolling off the throttle, and it stops when I pull the clutch lever in. I thought it was coming from the new timing belts, worried they didn't use OEM belts like I paid for (I haven't ruled that out yet, but I didn't noticed the sound in the first 1000 miles so that kinda puts me past the 'breaking in' stage).

Anyways, just today after hearing the unnatural noise while engine braking to a stoplight, I looked down through the open clutch cover once I was stopped and found that the pressure plate and springs weren't spinning at all! :O
I was at a complete stop with the clutch lever in and 1st gear and there was no rotation or jittering.

Is it time to replace everything (plate stack, pressure plate and springs, bearings)? Or does this sound like I can squeeze by this season with maybe just a new pressure plate bearing...?

Never taken apart a clutch before, so I'm doing my homework, but I'm up to the challenge. Just don't want to screw it up or take too long and miss out on this beautiful weather in the NW.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I would pull the clutch apart and clean everything out. IF it was kept in a heated garage or house there shouldn't be any corrosion issues..however if it was kept in a cold garage then things tend to rust, corrode..etc. over time.
You can check you clutch pack to see if it falls with spec:

The Drive or "friction plates thickness should NOT be less than 2.8mm. The drive plate/basket gap should be 0.6mm. Measure the gap between the drive plate "tang" and basket. The larger the gap, the more rattle, the tighter the fit, you'll hear a ticking.
Clutch spring minimum length should be no less than 36.5mm. If the spring is compressed more than 36.5mm replace it.
Also check the driven or plain metal plates. If there's scoring were they contact the drive plate then polish that out, also check for flatness.
Check pressure plate bearing for play, change it out if there's too much which will be pretty obvious.
Regarding the belts...I understand the CA Cycleworks Exact Fit belts occasionally whine or make a whirring noise. They will exchange them but there's no performance issue with the belt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts