Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experienced an odd intermitant whining noise on their Monster after it's parked up? It may be there all the time, however, it would be too quiet to hear while the bike is running.

I own an M620ie which has been fine with no problems so far (about 7k miles on the clock). Today I went on a short trip, parked the bike, and for some reason every 5 seconds or so it makes a high pitched but relatively low volume whine. The sound, I believe, is coming from just underneath the fuel tank. I don't think the bike is making the sound when I open the fuel tank. Could it be something to do with the air pressure?

Having said that, the bike sounds distinctly different in the startup, before ignition (i can't really define what I mean by different, it just doesn't make the same noise anymore) and also makes an couple of odd clicking sounds, which come from the instumentation panel, when I switch the bike off. Does anyone know what these symptoms could be? If they are related... or whether I am just being a little paranoid?

The bike is still under warranty, so I may send it back to the garage if it feels wrong the next time I ride it. It's my only mode of transport though so it would be a real inconvenience.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My girlfriends new M620 makes a high pitch whine as the fuel tank is releasing air. I'm no mechanic but there is tome type of valve that releases excess air (I believe it is in the top of the gas cap mechanism). In fact when she first got her bike, the plastic tank changed shape because this valve or air device wasn't working properly & the whole tank had to be replaced under warranty.

If you are hearing a slight noise, that is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
709 Posts
well, I was going to make a joke about "checking your turbocharger" but...

your tank does have [and must have] a vent, but it shouldn't be making any noise if it is functioning properly.

if your vent is restricted,vacuum will be created, disasterous results will follow [tank implosion]

next time you get a chance try this/these tests.

open the tank and start the bike. Does the whine come back after idling for a bit? when your tank is open, no vacuum pressure can build.

run the bike around, then stop. When you hear the "whine", immediately open the tank. Do you feel or hear suction when you pop it open? Look closely at the tank as you do this...you may see the sides of the tank expand as the pressure is equalized.

anyhow, a few simple tests may help isolate the problem.

disclaimer: don't smoke while you work on your fuel system. don't leave tank open on rainy or windy days when leaves and stuff can blow into your tank...

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's Normal

When I bought my Monster, I complained to my dealer about the same issue. Dealer said that when the sun shines through the showroom window, all the Ducatis whine as the tanks heat up and the air expands. I can tell you I never had a problem in the eight years I owned mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Easy fix.

I had a tank implode on me after a hot day. The sun heated and expanded the air in the tank which vented via the cap. There is a little rubber grommet near the hinge of the cap which sometimes bends over and covers the hole in the cap as it closes. This allows pressure out but not back in as the tank cools. I cut a small vee in this grommet so it can't happen again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone ever experienced an odd intermitant whining noise on their Monster after it's parked up? It may be there all the time, however, it would be too quiet to hear while the bike is running.

I own an M620ie which has been fine with no problems so far (about 7k miles on the clock). Today I went on a short trip, parked the bike, and for some reason every 5 seconds or so it makes a high pitched but relatively low volume whine. The sound, I believe, is coming from just underneath the fuel tank. I don't think the bike is making the sound when I open the fuel tank. Could it be something to do with the air pressure?

Having said that, the bike sounds distinctly different in the startup, before ignition (i can't really define what I mean by different, it just doesn't make the same noise anymore) and also makes an couple of odd clicking sounds, which come from the instumentation panel, when I switch the bike off. Does anyone know what these symptoms could be? If they are related... or whether I am just being a little paranoid?

The bike is still under warranty, so I may send it back to the garage if it feels wrong the next time I ride it. It's my only mode of transport though so it would be a real inconvenience.
Might be your systems running it's shut down diagnostic program.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My bike shorted out the fuel pump wiring when I first bought it and the pump ran all the time. I had to take the fuse out to shut it off.

On the other hand, MAN UP, quit whining. Whaaaa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts