Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a really strange problem. A few months ago I did a 999 for swap and everything went fairly smooth. Since then, I have always noticed my brakes dragging and the lever feeling to be not quite right.

I just put on fresh tires and pads (and bled the brakes) and during assembly, I noticed the brakes were REALLY dragging bad. the pads that came out had a little uneven wear and sure enough, my wheel is sitting about 4mm off-center to the right of the bike. How can this happen?!

So... the triples are straight, I double checked that and the axle spins smooth. Nothing is binding and I am 100% positive I have installed the front wheel/axle properly. STILL it sits to the right. You can see that the left caliper pistons are further out as you would expect with an off center wheel.

Here is my proposed solution... I was thinking about taking off 2mm of the steel spacer from the speedo to get the wheel to go to the right position. Thoughts or opinions? This is KILLING me.

Here is a pic of when I first did the swap. It seemed to go together very easily.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

Yeah, sounds like you need to machine a bit off the spacer. I am pretty shure the axel should lay flush with the outside of the fork leg. But don't go by that mesure the clearance on both sides to be shure the wheel is centered.

Gray

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmmmm. The axle is definitely not flush with forks, but the again it never was. But IF it were flush I am sure that would solve my problem. Maybe I'll wait for one mor option before I start butchering my speedo :D

@Moto: I compensated for the offset with cnc'd 5mm spacers on the calipers. I thought the increased offset was due to the 999 having 15mm offset rotors. But are you saying there is offset on the wheel?

Edit: I just measured the amount. it looks like it is 2.5mm off center, so I would have to take 1.25mm of material off the speedo spacer. BEFORE I pass the point of no return, I am going to re-align everything and measure again. Here is what my axle looks like fully assembled. If one of you guys want to pst a pic of yours it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
And I didn't think the 999 used a speedo drive.
It dosen't, it has a spacer on that side. The spacer is 21mm long... I am not sure if the fork spacing is the same on the 999 and the ss, so that info may not be helpfull. I reccomend you mesure it a few times to make sure you cut the speedo drive to the correct length.

Gray

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just seems strange. I did EXTENSIVE research on the swap, and no one mentioned the wheel spacing. The only thing that I saw was different was the 15mm rotor offset.

Like I said I am going to assemble/disassemble it a few more time to make sure everything is good. The spacer on the speedo is 30mm, but I also know the 999 wheel is quite a bit wider. Tonight I will sort it out. but any recommendations/advice would still be appreciated. Also, a pic of an axle would be good to look at too!

Thanks herrgray!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aside from the drag, how did the new forks feel?
They feel great, I haven't had many miles on them. I had a shop set up my suspension for my weight. Feels a little smoother and the adjustable pre-load is REALLY nice.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update. Took the spacer down 1mm. The pistons are NOTICABLY more even with the discs more centered.

STILL DRAG! Like.... Pretty heavy drag, about the same as before.

I have a track day in 6 days. I need to get this sorted! I wonder what isn't lining up?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pistons are self centering correct? This leads me to believe that the pistons are tot retracting. My next step is this http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/132515-998s-frt-brake-master-cylinder-brake-system-excessive-early-full-braking-force.html

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well... its definitely because the pistons arent retracting. cleaned and rebuilt the master.... that wasnt it. It seems I am getting some friction on the piston seals.

BUT... its getting better. I may just have to rebuild the calipers.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... it doesn't seem like many care about this, but here is the temporary solution. I cleaned the calipers and pistons (no rebuild) and rebuilt the MC to make sure the return port was clear.

I put in new Ferodo platinum pads, and machined the speedo 1mm to center the wheel and center the rotors in the calipers.

Still drag.

What I have learned.

1. there will always be drag, you can't get rid of it completely
2. Drag is reduced while riding, the movement of the rotors will push the pistons back, they wont get "sucked" back when you release the lever
3. Pads will almost NEVER wear 100% even, so there will be excess drag when you put in new pads.
4. Make sure the brake area is clean.
5. Although it wasn't my problem, make sure you have the proper free play in your levers.

So I am keeping it how it is, I have a track day on Friday and I will just plan to have the pads broken in by then. I will eventually be getting a rebuild kit for the calipers.

Here is how my axle looks:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is old by I have an observation: on my 96 monster the axle threads into a sleeve that is located in the opposite fork leg by pinch bolts. When replacing my brake pads last service, I remove the threaded bushing. When I replaced it, I figured it was to be positioned in the fork until it stopped. After several months of riding-- noticing a bit of drag but thinking it was new pads, I finally broke my speedo gear drive. When I replaced it the speedo gear housing was in a bind against the fork. The bushing was in too far by just over a 1/16". My caliper was almost touching my wheel spoke and the inside of the caliper was contacting the rotor. My solution was to secure the axle in the threaded bushing, then unpinch the bushing and tap the axle with my dead blow hammer and a socket till it was equally spaced. The pads centered themselves over the rotors. They always BARELY contact the rotors, but there is no noticeable drag. I'm hoping your issue was easily resolved without to much material removed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts