Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 748 and the front tire is wearing really weird

the left side of it is angled off and is very flat, while the right side of it is rounded (more like a tire should be) Anyone know what would cause this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Take it to a dealer...are you doing alot of trail braking just on the left side...Are you doing alot of left turns? I really suggest taking it to a dealer..maybe you have a tire defect from the manufacturer...The dealer should be able to let you know whats wrong...

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
We could REALLY use a good picture of the tire here..

//amullo

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unfortunately my bike is at motoservizio right now so i cant take a pic.

But thats the strange thing, i have a lot harder time getting the bike down in left hand corners (im left handed, and it just feels a lot less comfortable)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Are you riding most of the times on twisty roads in the mountains that are crowned in the middle?

Most of my riding is on crowned roads. If a road is crowned in the middle and you do not ride on the wrong side of the road (like most Imperial islands, i.e. Great Britain, Australia, ...) you:

a) Spend more time leaned over to the left because of the left hand turns have longer radius compared to right hand turns.

b) You are able to carry more speed because of the longer arc.

c) But most important of all, all of your left hand turns on a crowned road are kind of off-cambered forcing you to have to lean the bike more when taking a left hand turn, causing more wear on the left edge of the tires.

Most softer compound tires will cause a much faster wear on the left side of the tire than the right side of the tire due to the above. I say your wear is normal.

All the tires that I have used show a similar wear pattern. Some more than the others. Michelins Pilot Sports and Metzeler Sportec M1s in particular wear much faster on the left on crowned roads.

-Fariborz

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
If I push my tire to the wear limit, the left side goes before the right side. I blame it, as above, on the crown of the road

·
Registered
396 Posts
Have the tyres been balanced and fitted properly?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts