Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first oil change on my new too me 900SP today & was bracing myself for the worst…ie: nailclipping type aluminium shavings or worse..So it was with much relief i noted both the oil Drain plug & the oil screen were remarkably free of any such foreign nasties…as was about to screw back in the drain plug i caught a glimpse of something protruding past the hole in the sump…fished it out with the little pinky & was horrified to see what looked like the remains of a copperish coloured washer..sifted through the drained oil & found a few other examples (pictured)..now upon closer examination it turns out i think its some sorta gasket that god only knows has found its way into the sump..Its a wafer thin almost coppery coloured yet fibrous material ..def NON -Metallic …much like the old fashioned gaskets ive seen on old cars..Seems like its been laying around on the bottom of the sump a while maybe..
Hmmm perhaps its a leftover dropped in by mistake via the PO or should alarm bells be ringing? The bike doesn't make any strange clunks or noises…doesn't leak any oil..pressure & temperature are steady & constant…no flickering oil light…No metal or aluminium fragments on the filters or in the oil….the top ends a bit tired but it will get me through summer …My gut feeling is to just pour a few litres of diesel & flush out the sump with all the filters & plugs out…let it drain thoroughly & fill her up with fresh oil & keep an eye out next time…
Any opinions or anyone recognise or have the same strange inclusions in their sump?
My camera is pretty crappy so the shots aren't too clear but its definitely some kind of gasket in a past life…
http://i50.tinypic.com/352grrq.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2vsg8ed.jpg

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Sometimes gaskets have a little extra material here and there. After a while it can break off and float around. You're not having problems . If it was me, I'd flush it, fill it, and ride it like I stole it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh yes that crankcase gasket fits the profile perfectly 470...Suspect identified & Case closed !!..I'm not really a paranoid type after some of the things i've seen in the drained oil of my old bevels but the 900SP is still relatively new too me so it's reassuring to run things past the panel here ...I've clocked up a few hundred Kms on it today after the oil change & nothing fell off or broke...so im sleepin' soundly tonight...so i can get up early & chase the sticking piston in the front brembos that manifested after changing to braided stainless & new pads,,,Never a dull moment with these old ladies is there? :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Did my first oil change on my new too me 900SP today & was bracing myself for the worst… & was horrified to see what looked like the remains of a copperish coloured washer..
Nice pics, scale and everything. Makes it a lot easier to ID. Glad it was nothing serious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts