Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered a small hard rubber disc underneath my Sport 1000, as though it had fallen from somewhere on the bike. It is about the diameter of a nickel, and appears as though it may have been a movement stop, but I can't see from where it may have originated. Neither side of the disc has any adhesive, so it may have just been pressure fit somewhere. It is also a little wedge-shaped (or tapered), either by design or from having been squashed over time.

It is also possible that it came from somewhere else entirely and somehow ended up under the bike. I just want to make sure it is put back in place, if it indeed came off the Sport 1000. Does anyone recognize this thing?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just a guess but you may want to check the cooling fins on your motor on the left side. I have quite a few in between the fins, some have fallen out too.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I removed all mine from between all cylinder/head fins, then weighed them. The savings was WAY cheaper than titanium bolts and the bike looks & sounds better too!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
yup - rubber sound dampeners. there were a couple of threads on this a while back. i yanked mine out with "special ducati tool #42" which consists of a small allen wrench clamped tightly in a pair of vice grips to make a little hook of sorts... reach in and pull them out one at a time. there are a whole lot of those little buggers once you start digging them out.

then you can paint half of 'em red, scratch a little 8/8 grid into your shop bench and play checkers with 'em on rainy afternoons... ;)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
NOOOO! Not those!!!

All the prior posts are completely wrong--those guys are just messing with you.

Those "rubber disks" are actually nonmagnetic torsion stress eliminators and without them your pistons rings will melt to the cylinder walls.

This problem is very rare and will require service from an expert. I'll drop by later today to pick up the bike.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

Those "rubber disks" are actually nonmagnetic torsion stress eliminators and without them your pistons rings will melt to the cylinder walls.

This problem is very rare and will require service from an expert. I'll drop by later today to pick up the bike.
you're kidding, right?

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
That's a bike turd.

I just discovered a small hard rubber disc underneath my Sport 1000, as though it had fallen from somewhere on the bike. It is about the diameter of a nickel, and appears as though it may have been a movement stop, but I can't see from where it may have originated. Neither side of the disc has any adhesive, so it may have just been pressure fit somewhere. It is also a little wedge-shaped (or tapered), either by design or from having been squashed over time.

It is also possible that it came from somewhere else entirely and somehow ended up under the bike. I just want to make sure it is put back in place, if it indeed came off the Sport 1000. Does anyone recognize this thing?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Bike turds are either rice shaped or mis-shaped. That is a duck-turd, as even a turd from a duc is nicely engineered.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts

No, No, No, No, No. They're Flux Capacitors.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Now I get why these bikes cost more...

·
Registered
104 Posts
removal

can anyone tell me where these are all located so I can dump them, or point me in the direction of the previous threads, could not find anything.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I don't know... I think he was serious. Barfer, don't lie!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought they were 'ducati seeds'.... I was going to try planting one in the greenhouse. But then I remembered... I don't have a greenhouse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts