Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Ducati 999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this is my first post to this site - so I'm hoping that someone out there can help me identify a strange noise that just started to emanate from my 2003 Ducati 999.
It a sort of whiny/whirring noise that goes up and down with the throttle - any where above idle. I used a stethoscope to try and pin point the original of the noise, and that lead me to believe that it was coming from the alternator side of the motor. My first thoughts were that it was possibly a bearing going south, so I have done the following:
Replaced the 4 timing belt bearings - no difference.
Replaced the bearing in the alternator cover that picks up the end of the crankshaft - no difference.
Replaced the 2 bearings that support the water pump impellor shaft - no difference.
I've had other Ducati owner/friends have a listen, and even took the bike to the local Ducati dealership and had the mechanic have a look - and he didn't help much (I didn't flash a credit card or cash at him, so the shop manager chased him away...). Please have a listen to the following Youtube video link - I'd sure appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this...

cheers, Phil

·
Registered
530 Posts
Heard a 749S make that noise after a very light drop. Some of the shift linkage or spring had contacted the sprag clutch gear and put a nick in the teeth...sounded like a gear driven supercharger.

·
Registered
2003 Ducati 999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it could be the crankshaft main bearings

Thanks for your reply. Sure hope it's not the bottom. The noise doesn't seem to come from that area. Is the video you provided from a bile that had crankshaft bearing issues?
Phil

·
Registered
2003 Ducati 999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heard a 749S make that noise after a very light drop. Some of the shift linkage or spring had contacted the sprag clutch gear and put a nick in the teeth...sounded like a gear driven supercharger.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I just replaced the sprag clutch bearing and one of the starter gears not too long ago...

·
Registered
2003 Ducati 999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it could be the crankshaft main bearings

Hi again, The noise the bike in the video does sounds similar to what my bike is making. Do you know for a fact that this bike had crankshaft main bearing issues? Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
2003 Ducati 999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like mains to me.
Hi belter. Main bearing replacement is a major task. I hope to eliminate all other possibilities first. Are you sure of your assessment - or are you just guessing? "Sounds like" isn't as helpful as say:
"My 999 duc made the exact same sound and I had to replace the main bearings, and then all was good" Sorry, it's the 35 years in the IT business that makes me demand precision...

cheers, P

·
Registered
2003 Ducati 999
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i watched a video of some bike half the world away from me and gave my opinion based on the noise it was making. what the fuck more do you want mate? start pulling it apart, stop when you find what's rooted.
Hey Belter, Not sure that the F bomb was really necessary here - unless it makes you feel superior to me, but nonetheless, I am pulling the bike apart to sort this out - so I'll keep you posted.... Really, was just asking if this was a guess or something that you knew from experience. Cheers!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I listened to the clip, twice.. and from many years of Ducati’s and diagnosing over the inter web I can tell you with absolute certainty that with that noise ...

Take it to the nearest dealer and ask them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts