Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rode the bike early early in the year, and when I parked it I thought I'd be riding it again soon, then life interrupted. I came back to it the other day thinking the battery would be dead, but no, it fired right up. It was running fine, then about 30 seconds in gasoline started flowing (flowing=pouring) on to the ground. Turn off bike. Remove fairings. Search around with no luck. Restart and see gasoline flowing from what looks like a plug in the airbox. Turn off bike.

Pull tank up and find a nice, comfy, cozy mouse bed of some kind of fluffy cottony material in the battery/coil area. Pull all fluffy stuff out and inspect wires. Fortunately just one set of wires has some chewing of the woven outer insulator. Ponder and puzzle and decide that mouse probably didn't make a similar bed inside the airbox, but ran out of time to investigate. As you can see from the pictures, the air filter is lock-wired on, so I don't know what I'll find in there, but it seems like if there was fluffy stuff clogging things up then the bike wouldn't run, or would run poorly, but it doesn't.

Bike has 944 kit, but stock carbs and unbranded CF end cans. Thoughts and suggestions on what would cause to fuel flow like the line from the fuel pump was removed and stuffed in the air box, but still have the bike run fine (at least for a minute or so) appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it won't take my pics. Shrinking and trying again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another

Attachments

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but this site is effing with me!!!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
All the pics are messed up, even the forum icons.

Anyway, i click on your pictures and can see them. It sounds like the float bowls are stuck in the FCR's as well as your mouse problem.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You've got a stuck float needle and it may be filling your crankcase with fuel unless the fuel level is low or you've closed the petcock. All the fluff on the outside came from somewhere, look around the garage something is missing some stuffing!

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all. Stuck floats is where I was heading, so I appreciate the input.

Reactions: Hot Air

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a float bowl/needle valve issue and it filled my case. Oil level went up! Not good. (Don’t ride it if that happens because bad things can happen). When I drained the oil it did indeed smell of petrol. The standard Mikuni carbs are known to be temperamental on these bikes. It was much less than a mouse mansion that caused mine to leak into the cylinders. So much for the overflow pipes. Apparently they aren’t up to the job when that happens. They just make a mess of your floor as well as turning your crank case into a potential bomb.

All the best clearing out the resident mouse house.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine starting leaking from the float bowl gaskets after it sat for a long spell. I just got a rebuild kit for them (keihin 41) and should have it back together in a week or so. Had the same thing happen to my Honda Hawk and it is fine after replacing the float bowl gaskets.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I’ve never seen fuel flow upward into the air box. Gravity must work differently where you live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts