Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Today while riding I started hearing this odd metal clanking noise from the right side of the bike. It’s a 2019 950S with less than 300 miles.

Have anyone experienced something similar? Any suggestions? Or this is just the bike’s regular noise that I’m not used to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's hard to tell from the video over a computer but that may be pre-detonation; sometimes sounds like a metallic "pinging" but I'd expect to hear it from both sides of the motor not predominantly the right side; what fuel are you using? That does not sound like a regular engine sound to me so I recommend taking it to a dealer ASAP. How does the motor feel when riding? Does the noise go away as the engine revs are increased? As Ricko notes, the clutch is on the right side but it should not be making this sound. I don't want to be an alarmist but a after a quick Google search, this is not a unique problem. The following is from a Supersport forum; different bike but similar problem, metallic sound:

"Well, after several weeks without a motorcycle I already have a diagnosis of the "defective distribution gear" workshop. Apparently the defect of the cemented of the teeth of the same has caused that it is marked, the noise is generated and through the axis of the second pinion, the large one, the noise is transmitted to the other side of the engine, to the distribution pulleys, or that at least, that's what they told me. It seems like a small thing but if left, engine in the trash in no time. I hope that the 2800km that has been rolling like this, it has not affected anything else, but come on, to get to that element, it has been necessary to disassemble the entire left crankcase, water pump, antifreeze, alternator, alternator rotor, starter clutch, gear Starter, gear harpoon, gear gear sensor, crankshaft position sensors, oil, gaskets, ... to see how all this is put back as it was on a motorcycle that has just finished shooting.

To all those who have said that the noise was normal "character ducati" and such and such ... it also seems that it is not an isolated case, I have been told that now that they have located the problem they have fixed on other engines also what They do, it is possible that they call for review in the coming months, because a gear is not manufactured one by one, but batches of hundreds. All this is aware of the factory in Bologna, which is the one that marked the guidelines of what was being dismantled, as I have been told.

The truth is that despite being disappointed with the quality control of the brand, the official dealership in the area is doing it beautifully: wink:, something that doesn't surprise me because I had received very good references and know that you are trying your motorcycle as if it were yours, it calms down a lot and for that part I am very happy. I do not even want to imagine having half a disassembled motorcycle, with just the filming done, in an arrogant place without explaining anything, for that part I have been very lucky.

I will be telling you how the thing is when it is finished that the replacement parts of Italy are still to come and these things with the technology that is there today should not happen. Hopefully it looks good to be the first ducati I have ... "

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you pull the clutch in what happen to the sound?
Yes, that sound is on N, once I pull the clutch it doesn't change. I tried again this morning and the noise is louder when the engine is hot. When I turned on from the overnight I wasn't able to hear it so vividly.

Mine doesn't sound like that. Do you have enough oil?
Yes, in the high side of the normal limits.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can't diagnosis this from a smart phone mic, it will amplify any noise with the slightest change in how you hold it. Impossible to diagnosis on a forum. Could be a total disaster or could be perfectly normal. You need a mechanic to actually listen to it.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Take it to a dealer and have them put it in the system so that even if they state it is normal you have record of the attempt later on if it does turn out to be something catastrophic. While in warranty do not be afraid to use it as this is your only benefit to buying a new bike in the first place.

Ducati and many dealers would be happy to have a issue show up after warranty is up so they have little to no cost dont help them out get it checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts