Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the antifreeze in the ST3 was good until -20C and often we drop well below that at night and will have days that don't climb above -20c (-4F). Tonight is set for -31C (-24). I don't know what state the -20c antifreeze is at -30c so I bundle it up and put a lightbulb in to keep the frost out.

The question I have is; does antifreeze mixed for -20c become solid enough to do damage at say -35c (-31F)?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2006 ST3s
24 Posts
come-on, same as your car, if it has a proper blend of antifreeze it should be fine. the temp point for the antifreeze is point at which it starts to gel. unless you have it sitting outside. my garage is unheated and the shop is a stand alone building i have never seen an antifreeze fill system damage an engine...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
come-on, same as your car, if it has a proper blend of antifreeze it should be fine. the temp point for the antifreeze is point at which it starts to gel. unless you have it sitting outside. my garage is unheated and the shop is a stand alone building i have never seen an antifreeze fill system damage an engine...
It is not the same as my vehicles which is good to -40C, as yours likely is in yours if you are on the prairies. I have never had an engine block freeze because the anitfreeze levels were more than adequate. A -20C dilution in a -35C environment doesn't sound adequate to me.

If the antifreeze gels at -20C, how cold does it need to be to have it freeze?

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
It is not the same as my vehicles which is good to -40C, as yours likely is in yours if you are on the prairies. I have never had an engine block freeze because the anitfreeze levels were more than adequate. A -20C dilution in a -35C environment doesn't sound adequate to me.

Drain the old coolant and put Engine Ice in your baby...Its great stuff and you may see lower temps displayed in the warmer months

·
Registered
945 Posts
Drain the old coolant and put Engine Ice in your baby...Its great stuff and you may see lower temps displayed in the warmer months
Bad advice, unless you use their snowmobile coolant Engine Ice is only rated to -7F. For the Northern winters you want better protection.

·
Registered
813 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Chuckracer

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
247 Posts

Cheers from hot summery Australia...... obviously I have no idea about living in frostbite areas, but what is your actual garage temp....... eg outside may be -34C, but what is it inside your man cave?

If it is not below -20C inside then you are ok...... I think :unsure:.......but -20C is like standing on the moon to an Aussie o_Oo_O

Clever idea, the light bulb......

Reactions: oxygem steve

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gets to minus -25C on a regular basis every winter here in Ontario.

Have stored my old 916 filled with regular anti-freeze in a creaky, leaky wooden shed for the past 3 winters. Never had any problems.

Also, personally I'd take off that blanket and light bulb (will promote condensation) and just treat the whole bike to either ACF-50 or Corrosion Block (same product, but for marine use). Don't forget to fill your tank all the way up as well with non-ethanol gas.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Woodsman
As for Dave, I rarely see temps below -5 C. But I do remember some strange things about antifreeze and water mixture.
  • A mixture of antifreeze and water is a eutectic mix, That means it does not solidify at a single temperature as for a pure compound or element. Pure water freezes at 0 C but a EG Water mix freezes over a range of up to 30 degrees. If you freeze cordial and watch it thaw the cordial will thaw at a lower temp than the water.
  • Water is the only compound to expand as temperature reduces below 4 C, that expansion is what splits blocks.
  • EG Water mix contracts as it gets colder so damage is not likely in a freezing situation, especially as freezing happens over a temp range.
I can't find anything about the changes to freezing point with age of anti freeze, but I do know that age and boiling cycles reduces the boiling point of the mixture.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
813 Posts
  • A mixture of antifreeze and water is a eutectic mix, That means it does not solidify at a single temperature
Not correct, a eutectic mix, or system, has a single solidification temperature lower than the solidification temperature of any of the constituents of the system.

I work in an industry that uses eutectic metal systems to achieve very low melting points (from 40 odd degrees celcius up to 70 odd depending on the requirement), so in my answer here, I'm only defining "eutectic" not entering a discussion on coolant mixes... (hint as to why, the best internal combustion engine coolant is pure distilled water 😁).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not correct, a eutectic mix, or system, has a single solidification temperature lower than the solidification temperature of any of the constituents of the system.

I work in an industry that uses eutectic metal systems to achieve very low melting points (from 40 odd degrees celcius up to 70 odd depending on the requirement), so in my answer here, I'm only defining "eutectic" not entering a discussion on coolant mixes... (hint as to why, the best internal combustion engine coolant is pure distilled water 😁).
There is a temperature below which everything is solid, but between that all solid temperature and all liquid temp there is a range of up to 40 C with both phases, so freeze/ thaw is not at a single temp.

Slope Font Line Triangle Rectangle

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is a temperature below which everything is solid, but between that all solid temperature and all liquid temp there is a range of up to 40 C with both phases, so freeze/ thaw is not at a single temp.
As I said I'm defining the word "eutectic", not getting into coolant mix discussions and slushes above the single eutectic point - here's the Oxford English Dictionary definition.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
1993 750SS
506 Posts
I have read that the antifreeze in the ST3 was good until -20C and often we drop well below that at night and will have days that don't climb above -20c (-4F). Tonight is set for -31C (-24). I don't know what state the -20c antifreeze is at -30c so I bundle it up and put a lightbulb in to keep the frost out.

The question I have is; does antifreeze mixed for -20c become solid enough to do damage at say -35c (-31F)?
View attachment 1024861
You should get your bike a beanie, and set it next to the fireplace to complete the look lol

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
462 Posts
Any reason you couldn't just put a suitable -40°C rated coolant in it? Coolant should be changed regularly anyways, i would hope that's not the original stuff from 15 years ago in your engine!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Can I suggest taking a sample of antifreeze from the overflow and placing it in a glass jar on a shelf in the shed? Should give a decent indicator of what it's doing.

Reactions: Elbato

·
Registered
1993 750SS
506 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to contact the manufacturer of whatever product you're using, directly. You might even be able to find a Product Data/Safety Sheet on their website...

·
Registered
SR71: 2005 Black ST4s, Ducati perf pkg. Weapon of Ass Destruction: 1997 Red MG Sport 1100i
64 Posts
According to this....

... a 50/50 mix of water/ethylene glycol antifreeze is good down to -37 C.

The user's/shop manual for my 2005 ST4s calls for 40/60 water/glycol that lowers the freezing point to -55 C, so it would appear that is is well protected against the -37 C that we see here in the northern US Rocky mountains.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts