Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Im going over to Afganistan for a year and I have to store my hyper!!!! anyways Im just looking for some tips from anyone who had to store there bike for any extended period of time....I already have a t-rex rear stand and the pitbul front with the forklift/triple tree attachment.... anty other tips would be helpful!!!

Attachments

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Okay I can give you some pointers in no particular order:
1. Change your brake fluids for fresh fluid. Flush the old fluid out well. You will have less chance of water/moisture buildup in the brake system.
2. Change your engine oil and filter. Same deal with water/moisture buildup,
3. Your bike will be on stands. Drop your tyre pressure to around 20psi. This way you won't have long term static pressure stress on the rubber. Also keep the bike in an area away from light, preferably a dark room. So no sunlight is hitting the rubber. Any rubber for that matter.
4. Give your bike a really good wash and clean
5. Clean and fresh lube your chain.
6. For any anodised or bare metal areas
(nuts, bolts, screws), soak a clean disposiable cloth in kerosene or WD-40 and give them a liberal wiping (if you can get a hold of Mil Spec PX-28 preservation fluid the better). With my bikes anything that is bare metal gets coated. Don't forget your sprockets /chain wheels and brake discs including the lightening holes (just put a thin smear on the discs with the kerosene, basically enough to just coat them). Don't be concerned about your brake pads. Don't forget to completely wipe /coat your exhaust system as well.
7. Keep a full tank of fuel in it. Some people will say different and mention preserving the tank. I avoid that like the plague. If the bike is kept in a cool dry place wrapped up out of the light, you shouldn't get too much evaporation.
8. Disconnect your battery. If its a gel cell, fully charge it, lube the terminals with non-conductive grease or vaseline and store it. Don't worry about a trickel charger.
9. Vermin. If you cover your bike (you should). Put out rat, mice and cockroach baits around the bike and under the cover. Blank up your airbox inlets. If you run pods then they won't have a cosy home to sleep and make babies in. Its up to you but you can spray WD-40 down the cans then blank them as well.

That's about all for the moment. That should just about cover it. This is basically a 'no one touchs it while your away' scenario.

Cheers Warp :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not an expert on this subject but I have heard if you are going to use a fuel stabilizer then you really need to use one with Ethanol protection as well. The old school style Stabil apparently is not effective with Ethanol added fuels that are so common today.

Both Stabil and Star Tron make the products and you can read all about their different approaches on the websites. I used the Star Tron in my Kawi Jet ski this year but haven't started it up yet so can't vouch for it. But I can tell you the Jet ski mechanic at a very reputable shop was singing its praises and said its the best on the market.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/products.aspx#marine_formula

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/93/123/lang,en/

·
Registered
619 Posts
Warp Rider covered it Really well! Follow those instructions and use stabil.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Warp Rider covered it Really well! Follow those instructions and use stabil.
Okay, I just want to know who this Warp Rider guy is, trying to take credit for my guideline :D

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Okay, I just want to know who this Warp Rider guy is, trying to take credit for my guideline :D
maybe the poster was distracted by the breasts in your avatar! I also use stabil or seafoam. I've never had any issues so far and I store them every winter.

You will be home for leave some time. So, hopefully it will only be 6 months stored.

Get some for us vets forced to now live as civillians!

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
maybe the poster was distracted by the breasts in your avatar! I also use stabil or seafoam. I've never had any issues so far and I store them every winter.

You will be home for leave some time. So, hopefully it will only be 6 months stored.

Get some for us vets forced to now live as civillians!
I gather you like my Manly Designed Bra avatar :) I came upon it years ago. Don't know the originator but I have surely used its idea many a time in the shower with my wife :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most importantly, be safe over there and thank you for your service.

Chris

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was gonna say ship it to me but looks like motoxer beat me to it. The only thing I would add is that dryer sheets have been known to work at detering the little furry fuckers. Stuff one or two in each can and some in the airbox. Just dont forget about them. eeek.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts