Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like above, since the gas tank is plastic should I top it off for storage? and I took my Termi can off since its in the garage so they dont hack it off and noticed some king of silicone around the edges, do I need to replace this? and with what? I took the dash off since its a LCD display since its getting in the O degrees over here. thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
What is "storage"? :confused:

Seriously, a full tank is indeed better than an empty one... most fuel gumming
problems I've seen have been from the gasoline completely drying up in carb
float bowls. If you can, would be best to leave the battery on a tender and
start it up every four to six weeks, run it to full warm-up. Even though this
bike is fuel injected, the longer they sit, the more chance of strange gremlins
creeping in. Once saw a colony of ants move into a Porsche 911 during a
heavy rainstorm, wasn't pretty. :p

You can get special high-temp silicone sealer at your auto parts store... I've
used it on my FMF exhaust on a supermoto.

·
Registered
592 Posts
if storing for a long time i believe you are meant to pour oil into the spark plug hole to fill the cylinders to brim and put sparky back?

silicone is to stop exhaust leaking and popping no biggy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
if storing for a long time i believe you are meant to pour oil into the spark plug hole to fill the cylinders to brim and put sparky back?

silicone is to stop exhaust leaking and popping no biggy.

Never heard of that. I have heard of spraying a fogging oil and turning the wheel a couple of revolutions to coat the cylinder walls with the oil.

Change the oil & filter, fill gas tank with the appropriate amount of fuel & fuel stabilizer (run it for 5 mins so the stabilized gas gets through the system), battery on a tender and you're good to go, imho. Plug your exhaust holes to keep the mice out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would not fill cylinders with oil! You're never gonna have rust on a Nikasil
type cylinder liner, anyway. Most modern engines use aluminum bores
impregnated with silicon micro bits that give them a long wear life. Old
design motors used steel sleeve cylinders that could rust to the iron rings
if stored really badly (like outdoors).

The watercraft guys have had good luck spraying the cylinders with an
aerosol type lube for long term storage (sprayed thru the spark plug holes).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plug your exhaust holes to keep the mice out.
Oh my god I'm waiting, waiting for the day I shoot out a rat or mouse out of my Termi!!!

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
fuel stabilizer mixed in and run thru the injectors

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I bought my ATV, the guy who owned it before me had been storing in in a barn. As I was cleaning it up and changing the oil, etc. when I got it home, I found 2 dead mice and a whole nest made of torn up rags in the airbox! Interesting thing was that the ATV started and ran perfectly! Gotta love a Honda. :)

I also used to have a recoding studio in a detached garage outside my home. One day, when I was moving my $2,000 studio monitors, I heard a strange rattling noise - like the sound a "rainstick" makes. As it turns out, the mice had gotten into a homemade rainstick my wife had made for a children's music class. The main "ingredient" was dried peas, and the mice had taken the peas and "stored" them ALL OVER my studio! Including INSIDE the studio monitors! (They got in through the bass vent/port). :eek:

So, yeah, plug those exhaust pipes!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
This thread has been officially hijacked by rodents!!!!!!!!
I work on mercedes-benz and I seen more than a few cars towed in for rodent damage. They love to "cut their teeth" on the wiring, vacuum lines etc., and can do detrimental damage. Of course the later model, higher dollar cars can see damage into the thousands. The funny thing is we see cars from the "ghettos" and cars from the top 10% most expensive places to live in the U.S. . There's definitely more rats in the pricey areas.Must have to do with the open space. That being said, one of the best pets I've ever owned was a rat that was destined to be snake food. Mellow, clean, and super intelligent.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts