Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't pay much attention to brakes... I'm not a track guy so the only time I've hammered the brakes hard enough to activate abs on the Multi has been... never. Yesterday on a backroad heading home from work two deer jumped out of a field of tall corn at full speed right onto the road. The first one was far enough ahead than no problem - but knowing I was moving along pretty fast (65... ish) and knowing there's never just one I grabbed a big handful of brake. I've had to do this many times on other bikes over the years (probably 20 times on the Tiger over 50k miles) and it's always a juggling act of "stop faster... oops the rear is locked lighten up... now I'm not stopping fast enough... now the front is feeling loose... jesus it might be easier to just hit the damned deer".

With the Multi it's "stop faster... still have traction stop faster.... STILL have traction maybe some more... holy shit this thing has BRAKES". People bitch about the M50 squeak... but I'll take it.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I love ABS! I know there are haters and that’s fine. I love the confidence it gives me knowing that in an emergency I can nail them 100% and not worry about lock up.

Now, if you want to really blow your mind do it in the rain. On otherwise good clean road you will be totally amazed at how much grip that front tire has. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Ever since my Superbile days, Im obsessed with stopping power. I havent done much to the Multi. Fully floating brembo discs and some slightly more aggressive pads.

Granted, you could easily fit 330mm discs and 1198 superduper calipers...

But with the above mods I can easily brake the bike so hard that the rear comes up, even after planting the front.

The best thing about abs is that I can just jam on the rear brake as hard as possible and concentrate on braking the front.

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a second deer too... jumped out onto the road right about where I'd have been if I'd not been slowing down.

#$*%ing deer... I stopped riding at night so now they're after me during the day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agree - I may bitch about other things on the bike, but not the brakes - They work.

Edit: Though I did have to grind the rotors to eliminate the pulsing, and I like them even better with HH pads :)

Double Edit - And glad you didn't whack Bambi and mess up your forks

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I've done some honking on the brakes in the rain as Duckman suggests. It is impressive just how much braking you can do.

I'm all for ABS. I've had it kick in on the front a couple times from me being an idiot. This is significant reason for me to lean towards another Multi instead of going to a Motus.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm all for ABS. I've had it kick in on the front a couple times from me being an idiot. This is significant reason for me to lean towards another Multi instead of going to a Motus.
I'd love to own a US bike that fits my riding style (and Motus is the only option right now)... but I'll never buy a new street bike without ABS/TC again (and probably would avoid non-imu bikes). Older bikes that I don't put a lot of miles on I'm OK with full-manual... but for my daily rider I think those safety systems are no-brainer's (or maybe it should be put - going without them is a no - brain'r)

Reactions: BruceWA

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
When ABS first came out I had friends that didn’t want it, they thought they were better at stopping on their own. Personally, I think ABS is better than 99% of drivers/riders.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When ABS first came out I had friends that didn’t want it, they thought they were better at stopping on their own. Personally, I think ABS is better than 99% of drivers/riders.
I've had situations on the street in cars where ABS was a problem... but that's been 100% on ice and snow. On the bike the only time I've felt ABS was a problem was on dirt, and enduro mode fixes that. On pavement I suspect even pro's would not consistently outperform abs braking... so yea complaints are valid if your goal is advanced stuff like backing it in... but for STREET riding ABS & TC make sense... and IMU based TC that lets you brake hard midcorner... that shit is magic.

Reactions: BruceWA

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I agree that the Motus should have tc and abs... as well as a slipper clutch. I test rode a Motus and very much enjoyed it. But when discussing these deficiencies with the dealer, I was told I need to learn how to ride. ?

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree that the Motus should have tc and abs... as well as a slipper clutch. I test rode a Motus and very much enjoyed it. But when discussing these deficiencies with the dealer, I was told I need to learn how to ride. ?
And what happened after you punched that guy? Any legal trouble?

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's just making excuses for the bike... "We don't equip our cars with seatbelts. Learn to not crash."

I love the simplicity of my 900SS, but I'm probably more likely to go down on it from braking than high/low siding a corner.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol... yea sounds like the usual clueless attitude of a certain class of rider (who tend to ride US bikes).

It basically amounts to "me he man... got hairy chest... can do stopping better than electronic thingamajigs cause I say so"

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I'm too old to fight over a comment like that. I just walked away while he was in the middle of his pitch.

Also, why doesn't the Motus have M50s?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Some older ABS were crap. I think BMW was the first to offer it widely on their bikes and my 2007 R1200S had glitches in the ABS where it would let off the brakes when braking over bumpy surfaces (i.e. all California roads). Several times it almost led to either a head-on collision or running off a cliff on a steep, tight, downhill road. In those cases for sure, the ABS was easily beaten by manual braking. The modern stuff? It's great and I agree I wouldn't go without on a new bike for the street.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm too old to fight over a comment like that. I just walked away while he was in the middle of his pitch.

Also, why doesn't the Motus have M50s?
It's a very cool bike (bit on the heavy side)... but they didn't spend the money to put state of the art electronics on it and chose to spin it as a 'feature'... and to some people it is.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Rear?

What rear?
Points for that.
But when you brake real hard, the 5% extra it provides can be the diffrence between a pounding heart and a pounding ribs

Reactions: MTS2010Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am a big fan of ABS, especially on the street. I think the odds of it saving my bacon are far greater than the possibility of me outbraking it. The only time I felt it was premature was on the track at the end of a full tilt straight, but not so much that I felt compelled to turn it off. Since it gets better with each generation, I’m sure I’ll always have it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts