·
Registered
1,435 Posts
nice link...

that was a good read ... thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Good stuff, I don't think he is the whiner he has been made out to be, he just wants an even playing field for everyone & some stability. Sounds reasonable to me.

Craig

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good stuff, I don't think he is the whiner he has been made out to be, he just wants an even playing field for everyone & some stability. Sounds reasonable to me.

Craig
He sounds like a guy that says whats on his mind, around here we call that being brutally honest :D

·
Registered
316 Posts

Craig
Agreed. I've been wrong about Stoner in the past. There are other riders who are doing a lot more "whining" than him. He's simply stated what needs to be stated. He's earned that right anyway. He's a great ambassador to the sport.

·
7,733 Posts
“The way the sport is going I see it being very much a European sport, it's not for the British, Americans, Australians. We're very much the outsiders, we're not given the opportunities the Europeans are, and even when we are there we're very much made to feel like we're outsiders and decisions are made against us and for a lot of different reasons. It just just makes things harder."

This is nonsense IMO. Yamaha is not European, niether is Honda. Rossi, a European rider on perhaps *the* European bike doesn't seem to be doing better than others; Nicky Hayden's contract just got extended ostensibly because he's American from what I read in the press release.

Who said he's not a whiner? Bad Dorna, picking on Americans and British and Australians. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
That's a long bow your drawing there Frank.

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
This is nonsense IMO. Yamaha is not European, niether is Honda. Rossi, a European rider on perhaps *the* European bike doesn't seem to be doing better than others; Nicky Hayden's contract just got extended ostensibly because he's American from what I read in the press release.

Who said he's not a whiner? Bad Dorna, picking on Americans and British and Australians. :rolleyes:
Did Nicky's contract get extended because he is American.....Or because Rossi may not be staying with Ducati?????

IMO the American, Brittish and Australian comment referred to the riders, not the bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Did Nicky's contract get extended because he is American.....Or because Rossi may not be staying with Ducati?????

IMO the American, Brittish and Australian comment referred to the riders, not the bikes.
As much as I like Hayden, I would say Rossi's questionable future at Ducati had lots to do with the decision to retain Nicky...at least for now. It was only a one year deal.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,738 Posts
“The way the sport is going I see it being very much a European sport, it's not for the British, Americans, Australians. We're very much the outsiders, we're not given the opportunities the Europeans are, and even when we are there we're very much made to feel like we're outsiders and decisions are made against us and for a lot of different reasons. It just just makes things harder."

This is nonsense IMO. Yamaha is not European, niether is Honda. Rossi, a European rider on perhaps the European bike doesn't seem to be doing better than others; Nicky Hayden's contract just got extended ostensibly because he's American from what I read in the press release.

You didn't think that one through Frank, just called Stoner a whiner as if your programmed to do it :sleep:
Dorna is european, essentially spanish focused and that's what the lad was getting at.
It's mainly to do with sponsorship leverage on the whole game but of course you'd know more about it all than the current world champ.
Stoner's a winner who calls it as he sees it, not a whiner and most smart folk have already picked up on that by now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have to agree with Stoner on that one also. Its blatantly obvious that motoGP is currently a Spanish/Dorna/Ezpeleta/Marquez/Lorenzo Festival! I'll be damned if Carmelo didn't scrap the rookie rule just for his little mini me Marc Marquez. Even the great Valentino Rossi didn't move straight under the Repsol Honda tent. Is Marc Marquez a good rider? Sure he is. Is he dominating? Not in my opinion. There's definitely bias towards Spaniards and its most certainly a Euro-fest.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'll be damned if Carmelo didn't scrap the rookie rule just for his little mini me Marc Marquez.
I'm sure that Marquez had a bit to do with it, but I listened to an interview with Gresini... He was talking about Marquez, and His Sponsor (Repsol).

Seems that the satellite teams were a bit worried about Repsol taking over their team, but only for a year , and then the satellite Honda's would have to go out and bring back their sponsors for '14. Or find new one's if the current sponsors would not return. It was a pretty good interview.

like I said... i agree that Marquez was a big part of it.. and I am sure that being Spanish most likely helped... but it was interesting to hear it from the satellite teams point of view. With the rookie rule gone, the satellite teams keep everything as they like... no adjustments... and just get to try and keep up on the weekends. The riders of their choice... the sponsors of their choice.. and Gresini said that He campaigned big-time to get that rule removed himself...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good article!
I love how when Stoner is interviewed and gives and honest answer to a question the Rossi root swingers always line up to call him a whiner....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not convinced it's all Ducatis fault to be honest.

When Casey was there he got nil upgrades, zero...zilch.....sod all!

Rossi has had upgrade upon upgrade but if what he & JB are requesting merely translates to 'make me a Yamaha feeling bike' then frankly it's never really going to work like that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with yamahas (I've owned plenty and am looking at a 2002 R1 track bike) but Ducati have to have some pride in what they've produced in the past and what they've achieved all be it in different classes against huge jap factories (back then it really was david vs goliath)

I'll be the first to admit and always have done that I'm a HUGE Casey stoner fan, it's not to do with whether he signs autographs, waves at the camera or acts a good little boy for Dorna, I just like his honesty and aggression when riding.

Below are a couple of pages from an interview MCN Sport (iPad digital edition) they ran with Casey in the last issue (incase you want to sue me MCN I'm actually promoting what a great digital magazine it is..... In fact it's the best without doubt)

Read what he's says (your looking bottom right of the first page of text and top left of the 2nd page for continuation)

I think he sums it up well, as a rider it's you that has to adapt. Forget pride, forget what you think you know and make the way the bike feels work for you.

In my mind neithe JB nor Rossi has done that or even attempted it, they've so far used they're reputation and thrown some toys out of prams to get drastic wholesale changes..... Maybe that's the problem although I'm sure it's not all of it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I honestly love reading his opinions on MotoGP and the direction its headed. He seems like the most real rider out there, and its a damn shame he's leaving.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
+1 His take on riding the Ducati makes a lot of sense.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts