Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing a few good deals on some stock 749's and 999's with very low mileage (some as low as 800 mi).

My question is: should I get something stock or should I hold out for one of these bikes with the 's' or 'r' trim? I love having the best of something, but I don't track the bike so will it really make a difference to me?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been seeing a few good deals on some stock 749's and 999's with very low mileage (some as low as 800 mi).

My question is: should I get something stock or should I hold out for one of these bikes with the 's' or 'r' trim? I love having the best of something, but I don't track the bike so will it really make a difference to me?
You dont have to wait I have an S with low miles for sale.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you want a mono tail, you would have to get an S or R model. I don't believe the base came in a mono, though I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I sold my base 999 05 , got an "s" 999 same year. The S had the race termi's, and that wonderful ohlins gold suspension. If you can afford the "S", which runs on avg 1000 to 2000 more resale, get the S. If money is no object, get the R. The suspension in either case, even in road only use is well worth the money. No doubt the R is overkill for the street...but then again so is a base 999.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you want a mono tail, you would have to get an S or R model. I don't believe the base came in a mono, though I could be mistaken.
base 999 were available in both mono and bi.
R's were available only as mono.
S's I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

if you don't track the bike, you will probably never fully realize the benefits of the S model with Ohlins. If you do ride hard on street, you might.

Don't get a base 999 with the idea that you'll get Ohlins parts later; it'll cost you much more than getting an S model.

The S has a little more power, but on the street you may not notice the difference. Unless, you ride hard.

The R is much more money to get it and more to maintain as well. I was told that to adjust the valves on the R models, the heads have to come off. More labor. If you can take the heads off and do it yourself, you'll save a bundle. The rest of the maintenance on the R's are similar to S and base models.

If you get the base 999, be sure to get a full exhaust sytem; it will transform the bike.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Buy the pristine 2003 999r at Pro Italia. I even know the owner :)

ps: it even has a full Termi exhaust kit on it!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was in the market a year ago August and drove a stock 749S that a dealer had. It was a dog. They had a beautiful R model but it was about $3K more than I wanted to spend. Waited a few months and found a pristine individually owned 06 749S that had a 54 full termi system and some other mods I wanted already on it. The diff came to about $2K over the stocker. I've put a fair amount into upgrades since then but quite pleased. If you have the bread to spare an S or R is the way to go. You'll spend more to upgrade a stocker in the long run. Buyers market out there at the moment. Have fun with whatever you end up on.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you find an R, make sure it already has a full exhaust. They are trading for the same prices with or without mods from what I have seen. Got mine for around 12 with a $3500 Leo Vince Corsa exhaust. That was the main reason I sold the 749D and went to that, the price of the exhaust was the difference, but also got the Ohlins and other great things that come on the R :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
The later S models will make you very happy. The R is superb, but like all Rs, very pricey and not readily available. You may find the base bike wanting, as I did with my 749. Wait a bit and go for an S as the best price/power/fun compromise. I waited and my 06 Xerox R finally came around. Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts