Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to reverse my stock shifter to gp shift. I heard all I had to do was flip the linkage on the spindle, and I did a thread search and found that to be the case. I tried it last night and I was having a problem finding neutral. It also didn't seem like it wanted to shift up into second and third.

I didn't take it out on the road and was only trying to go through the first couple gears in the garage and parking lot at work so maybe that is my issue. Do I need to flip it and go out and see how it shifts? Is there anything else I need to do? I basically switched the linkage from six o'clock to twelve o'clock. Do I have to do anything else? Here is a pic of what I did.......

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did the same thing on my 916 for a bit and would get the same results as you at times. It would seem to bind up at times. I switched mine back to regular till I get a new GP lever and get rid of the connecting shaft.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the same thing on my 916 for a bit and would get the same results as you at times. It would seem to bind up at times. I switched mine back to regular till I get a new GP lever and get rid of the connecting shaft.
Yeah I thought of doing that as well. I figured I would try the free way first instead of dropping $100+ on a gp shift lever. What does that get you? Is it just a long lever that bolts right onto the spindle and gets rid of that linkage arm?

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's exactly what it is. Seems a little steep for what it is, but worth it if you're like me and have other bikes that are GP shift and you don't want to have to think about what way to shift.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hello RAIDERJ,

I just got a '95 916 and the original owner (I'm the third) changed the original lever+linkage with a GP style lever, directly attached to the spindle.

I had no idea and didn't think it was important to ask, so I'm stuck with it, and am actually looking for a stock lever+linkage to revert it back to ordinary pattern myself.

Perhaps you don't want to, but no loss in asking: would you like to trade?

It's a pretty long way from here to (I assume) the US, but if you're interested we can calculate shipping and I'm willing to pay for it if it's reasonable.

:D

nico

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like the shift lever needs some fine tuning. What requires more foot movement, pressing down on the shifter or pulling up on it? Had mine setup for just about 50-50 and ended up with just a little bit more movement pulling up on the lever.

Also, the adjustable shift rod and the arm on the shaft should meet at a 90* angle for best results. From the pic it looks like you have that setup already.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
You have to shorten the linkage rod to keep it from binding. Too long (lowers the shifter) will cause it to jam.

Personally I just went with a simple CNC shifter. 40$, works great. You get much crisper and accurate shifting when you eliminate the linkage.

·
Registered
537 Posts
just buy a another rear set that is gp shift all ready with brake and shift lever.
you can find them cheap all ready.
i have a set for sale as well.:D

henk!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello RAIDERJ,

I just got a '95 916 and the original owner (I'm the third) changed the original lever+linkage with a GP style lever, directly attached to the spindle.

I had no idea and didn't think it was important to ask, so I'm stuck with it, and am actually looking for a stock lever+linkage to revert it back to ordinary pattern myself.

Perhaps you don't want to, but no loss in asking: would you like to trade?

It's a pretty long way from here to (I assume) the US, but if you're interested we can calculate shipping and I'm willing to pay for it if it's reasonable.

:D

nico
I appreciate the offer, but I want to hold onto the stock shifter even if I were to get another shifter. I like to keep all my stock parts in case I ever want to put them back on. Not sure if that makes me a kleptomaniac, but I like to always have my stock pieces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just buy a another rear set that is gp shift all ready with brake and shift lever.
you can find them cheap all ready.
i have a set for sale as well.:D

henk!!!
What do you have for sale? I might be interested. I am looking at rearsets and have been waiting/hoping to find a good deal.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I appreciate the offer, but I want to hold onto the stock shifter even if I were to get another shifter. I like to keep all my stock parts in case I ever want to put them back on. Not sure if that makes me a kleptomaniac, but I like to always have my stock pieces.
No problem, I think that's a smart thing to do and I wish the original owner of my bike would have done the same :D

Good luck!

Btw, if the parts are YOURS, you wouldn't qualify for kleptomania :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btw, if the parts are YOURS, you wouldn't qualify for kleptomania :D[/QUOTE]

Ok, how about hoarder then?!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Straight GP lever is the way to go, but if you want to use the linkage you'll need a different shift shaft lever. The one I used was for a Monster, I believe, it's shorter and will give better clearance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts