Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 ST4s with the stock seat. It has become sticky - tacky to the touch. I've tried cleaning it 6+ times, with various products (S100, pine sol, even treated it with Shout & then used S100) Thoroughly rinsed it each time, scrubbed hard, etc. Just finished another attempt, hit it 3x with S100 & a scrub brush. It has dried and is sticky again.

note1: the stickiness DOES transfer to my motorport kevlar gear (Shout + laundry detergent was successful at removing it from the pants)

note2: the entire seat is sticky, not just where i sit (and i don't ride 2up) - this could be simply from spreading whatever it is around during cleaning attempts.

My thoughts:

1) I don't park under trees, but the thought did cross my mind that it could be tree sap. I know it can be stubborn, but shout stain remover and/or s100 should have taken care of that after so many (vigorous) cleanings.

2) Is there a UV coating on the seat that may have broken down? I ride the bike daily to work, and parking is not covered, so it sits in the sun quite a bit. (san diego)

Have any of you experienced this? I am thinking my only option at this point is to recover the seat. I did run across a very handy link to Sargent's sport skinz here, but I wanted to ask these questions before going that route.

If you have any other products you'd recommend for stubborn stains or things of this nature, i'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Product is called De-solv-It We have used it for many things and it has never failed us..... One Other thing that works like a champ (Don't Laugh) is a baby wipe. They will remove pitch from your hands or any other nasty thing that I have tried to needed to remove. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I should have thought of that myself, I have used wipes to clean many things other than my kid's butt.

It didn't work though. And if THAT didn't work, I think re-covering it is going to be my best option...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another great suggestion - I have not used armor-all in the past, but in this case, I'll try anything. I also have some armor-all wipes i use to clean my car dash & door panels.

Thanks for the great ideas.

J

·
0 Posts
Another great suggestion - I have not used armor-all in the past, but in this case, I'll try anything. I also have some armor-all wipes i use to clean my car dash & door panels.

Thanks for the great ideas.
Do not use armor-crap,it will dry it up and crack.Been using ProtectAll and it wont dry and crack,it cleans, uv-blocker protection,treats and protects leather and much more.Hot sun and amor-crap hate each other.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem

'05 ST3, was fine the first two years, riding to work daily but covered parking. Changed jobs and parked out in the sun. Got sticky in like half a year or so. I'm also in San Diego. Damn this climate :)

Nothing seems to work as far as cleaning it so I'll probably just change to black riding pants and suck it up. Haven't tried waxing it yet, maybe that would help? Or maybe silicon spray would do it, I don't know...

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
'05 ST3, was fine the first two years, riding to work daily but covered parking. Changed jobs and parked out in the sun. Got sticky in like half a year or so. I'm also in San Diego. Damn this climate :)
That sort of confirms what I was thinking. That the seat glue heats up and seeps through the fabric. Probably would have to strip the seat and clean it with a solvent (don't do it on the seat, or it will dissolve the foam), then re-glue.

I'd have a chat with an upholsterer about recovering the seat.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Is it possible the gel in the seat is leaking from within it, and everything you do is just spreading it?
Or as SE84 said, it could be the glue, but 'contact type glues' age and go hard in time generally.

I have replaced the stock seat with your type of seat on my 02 ST2.

Have you tried a citrus based cleaner on it, or even just dish washing liquid?

Craig

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
The type of glue that is on seats doesn't harden so much, but becomes less tacky over time. Heating it would make it much more fluid again.

I used 3M spray 77 to tack down the edge of my ST seat that was lifting. That stuff doesn't harden or crack, but will loose adhesion. But, get it warm or put a mild solvent on it, and it flows again.

For my situation, I'm thinking that it was a temporary fix, and that I'll just get it recovered...it's also starting to lift in the saddle part of the seat too.

However, if I was to get the DP seat...can anyone confirm if the DP comfort seat can use the "monoposto" pillion cover?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sort of confirms what I was thinking. That the seat glue heats up and seeps through the fabric. Probably would have to strip the seat and clean it with a solvent (don't do it on the seat, or it will dissolve the foam), then re-glue.

I'd have a chat with an upholsterer about recovering the seat.
I was at my local dealer today and the parts guy had the same thought. (seat glue coming thru). They had heard of the problem, but did not have a solution other than a new seat. I mentioned the Sargent Sport Skinz product, and the approx $60 cost, and it sounds like the easiest/best option. My concern with your suggestion is (semi-obviously), what if I take the seat cover off and clean the underside of it, and that turns out not be the problem/fix?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible the gel in the seat is leaking from within it, and everything you do is just spreading it?
Or as SE84 said, it could be the glue, but 'contact type glues' age and go hard in time generally.

I have replaced the stock seat with your type of seat on my 02 ST2.

Have you tried a citrus based cleaner on it, or even just dish washing liquid?

Craig
Thanks for your reply, Craig. Have not tried citrus-based or dish soap. I shall. I Have tried s100, shout stain remover, All laundry detergent with stain lifter, pine sol, armor all cleaner wipes, regular armor all*, and a blow torch. All were ineffective.

*I have never, in my 20 yrs of riding, used armor all on a bike seat. I mean, it makes stuff too slick and leaves a residue if nothng else. But then I thought that, hmm, perhaps it'd counteract the stickiness? It did not.

Question: did you replace your ST2 seat b/c of this same issue?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I was at my local dealer today and the parts guy had the same thought. (seat glue coming thru). ...what if I take the seat cover off and clean the underside of it, and that turns out not be the problem/fix?
It's a pretty trivial and cheap operation for an upholsterer to recover the stock seat, even using the old material and foam (basically just re-gluing).

It would certainly be a lot cheaper than a new seat.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Question: did you replace your ST2 seat b/c of this same issue?
No, I replaced it because the early model ST's have very hard, slippery seats, with a different shape to the later ones like yours.

Good luck with your problem, but it might be a good excuse to recover it with a Sargent Skin, they look really nice.

Craig

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Nothing seems to work as far as cleaning it so I'll probably just change to black riding pants and suck it up. Haven't tried waxing it yet, maybe that would help? Or maybe silicon spray would do it, I don't know...
Well on the one hand, it's nice to know I'm not the only one, but still, a sticky seat is kinda gross. Now, I only ride with motoport overpants, but still, my seat gets to looking a bit fuzzy from the little stuff sticking to it when I'm not on it, and my overpants have a sticky residue as well. So I, for one, don't really see "sucking it up" as a good option.

Waxing...maybe, but not sure how that would affect vinyl. Oh! You just gave me another idea to try. I have a chopper (also a duc) that has a leather seat, and I have lexol, a two stage cleaner/conditioner, that might be worth trying. I'll hafta read the label and see if I can try that on vinyl.

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts