Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these things ever go bad via oil coming out of the top of the cartridge? The bike has been apart for nearly a month and I cannot recall if I spilled any oil on the shock or not, though I am mostly sure I did not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi - shocks are a sealed unit, so no oil should have been spilled. Have had my bike apart for many months, just about put all back together now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you trying to say oil is weeping out of the seal head (bottom part of main body, where shaft goes in)? If so, that means you have at the very least a bad shaft seal. If it is coming out of the reservoir area, that is bad too. That means your bladder likely has no nitrogen in it and oil has filled it.

Clean everything well, best if a non-harsh contact cleaner i used. Then monitor it closesly. Chances are something did go so well when it was rebuilt. Very possible you spill oil on it if you rebuilt it (I'm always covered in oil when I do OEM shocks).

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike rebuild not shock. Bike is good to go so I'll ride it, shock now clean, and see what comes of it.

Oil was on the top threads.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Never seen a Sachs shock on a 916, thought they were all Showa or Ohlins?

I had a leak on my Ohlins shock due to the chrome on the pushrod being chipped by a stone allowing the oil to leak past the seal...

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then my mistake. I've only ever seen Ohlins or Showa, but some where connected the idea that people were calling the Showa a sachs. My, now rectified, misconception.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts