Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock guages preform good enough for me but the aesthetics I cant stand.Is anyone else interested is a smaller housing for the stock guages?
I've 3D printed a smaller housing but my measurements were off just the slightest but not good enough for my satisfaction.what I need is a donor set from a Paul Smart or the faired Sport 100S so I can have them 3D scanned.I will also 3D scan the stock guages and combine them in one file availale for 3D printing.
I've waited and waited for a stock set to show up in all the usual places but other than buying a brand new set it wouldn't be economically feasible.So if anyone has a housing from either of the two models above to buy or borrow let me know.If successful I will provide the the 3D file to all here so let me know what you think?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Dude,

Love the fact that you're gonna 3d print them. What a stroke of genius. (Don't forget to video the process for our viewing pleasure).

At the moment I'm speccing out and pricing up getting a Motogadget unit ('spensive and complicated), but if you can make a slim enough housing at the right price then I might well be in.

I'd be wanting one for an unfaired model (but aren't they the same?)

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
The stock guages preform good enough for me but the aesthetics I cant stand.Is anyone else interested is a smaller housing for the stock guages?
I've 3D printed a smaller housing but my measurements were off just the slightest but not good enough for my satisfaction.what I need is a donor set from a Paul Smart or the faired Sport 100S so I can have them 3D scanned.I will also 3D scan the stock guages and combine them in one file availale for 3D printing.
I've waited and waited for a stock set to show up in all the usual places but other than buying a brand new set it wouldn't be economically feasible.So if anyone has a housing from either of the two models above to buy or borrow let me know.If successful I will provide the the 3D file to all here so let me know what you think?
I'm intrigued but not sure I can quite picture what you mean by smaller housing. Can you share any photos of what you have so far?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's the deal.The faired models are slimmer but they mount differently on to the fairing subframe unlike ours that attach directly to the U headlight bracket.What I want to do is combine the best of both worlds as the internals are identical. No cost for the file once completed but you will need to pay for 3d printing with whoever you use (I've used shapeways.com) and this was my previous attempt based on old school set square,compass etc.3D scanning is way more precise
Model | Shapeways\

Guts and stock housing for unfaired models (you can see how skinny the internals are)

Sport 1000S

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
If you can reproduce something like this, I'm in:

But those pics of the Red 1000s in the previous post; are those the standard gauge housings? ...So you want to combine the shape and depth of those with the attachment spars of the non-S... Brilliant.

By the way, how much did the printing cost you?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.So you want to combine the shape and depth of those with the attachment spars of the non-S... Brilliant.

By the way, how much did the printing cost you?
Exactly!
How exactly did he produce that housing in your picture? I've looked at carbon fiber molding too but would still need a donor housing to replicate the shape.
When I 3d printed my model (material:Black strong and flexible) it was $180.Other materials are cheaper "White strong and flexible" for instance was $30 less expensive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
funny, i'm getting ready to post about this. i'm a big fan of the gauges on robsy's bike. after trying to contact his friends shop several times i decided to go ahead and alter mine. I cut the housing with a bandsaw and then cut a new cover plate out of polycarbonate using a lasercutter.

next steps are assembly, painting and fabrication of mounting brackets. i'll probably make mockup brackets out of polycarbonate then mill a final set out of aluminum. i'll post final pics this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Exactly!
How exactly did he produce that housing in your picture? I've looked at carbon fiber molding too but would still need a donor housing to replicate the shape.
When I 3d printed my model (material:Black strong and flexible) it was $180.Other materials are cheaper "White strong and flexible" for instance was $30 less expensive.
I'm in for black plastic !!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I really like those carbon housings! They look clean and trick and would likely be just at home on a retro or blinged out bike.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
funny, i'm getting ready to post about this. i'm a big fan of the gauges on robsy's bike. after trying to contact his friends shop several times i decided to go ahead and alter mine. I cut the housing with a bandsaw and then cut a new cover plate out of polycarbonate using a lasercutter.

next steps are assembly, painting and fabrication of mounting brackets. i'll probably make mockup brackets out of polycarbonate then mill a final set out of aluminum. i'll post final pics this weekend.
I thought about that and kudos for taking the band saw to the housing that took some balls.Cant wait to see the finished product.
Heres my show and tell from the first experimental 3d print
Height

Rear

Inside attachment posts came out nice.Ignore the white parts thats due to my dremel shaving a bit off here and there.The finished/perfected housing would be totally black and all the curves smoothed out.Sketchup doesn't like curves my architect friend says so the final file will be much better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This thread is excellent. Count me in if you need numbers. Black! Terrific work guys.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Would it also be possible to create a version that is already lowered flatter, saving the need for lowering brackets?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah, it's a really shame. I called Robsy's carbon guru the other day. He have no interest in making the carbon housing at the moment. Maybe later this year, he told. :(

I have also been so close, just to hacksaw it over. And take it from there :think:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3D printing is a great idea btw. this is just another option.
We are nearby and should get together.I'd love to see the profile of the smaller guages with regard to the gap that will now exist between the headlight (with and without the lowering brackets)

Would it also be possible to create a version that is already lowered flatter, saving the need for lowering brackets?
Definitely worth looking in to and may not be that difficult to do as only the angle and length of attachment spars would need to be adjusted.The beauty of a 3d file is that you can do what ever you wish.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey guys, the more I read the more excited I am about this project. I really hate my stock gauges and despite the ridiculous expense of a cosmetic-only upgrade that might actually devalue my bike, I had been seriously considering mounting a motogadget, losing my immobiliser and creating some new electrical gremlins...

If you can get the OEM clocks to be truly slimline then I will be a very happy Ducatista. In terms of design, I do really like the way Robsy housing has two small cylinders accommodating the deeper part of the instruments, allowing a slimmer outer profile - also similar to the S model housings. So, if I could vote for the shape, I vote for the same profile as Robsy's design.

As for CF, I'm not bothered about that, and am happy with whatever durable black material is used (assuming it has a long shelf life). There's hardly a weight issue here, and I'm not looking for CF finish on my bike. Robsy actually painted his CF black anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I forgot to add, that if you reduce the thickness of the gauge housing, then you may want to reposition the bracket mounting points to allow the clocks to sit much lower and flatter, otherwise all you will do is create a big gap above the headlight.

I assume the ultimate goal is to bring the gauges lower, and closer to the headlight - as per Robsy's setup?

There is an opportunity to create a new housing and mounting that doesn't need the gauge lowering brackes?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good Q's LD heres what I thought of.
Robsy's design is unique I believe it was hand made.Unless there is a mold and add labor involved its expensive to reproduce.I wish someone would reproduce it but at the moment the best I can do is try to replicate it.
CF cant be 3d printed but there is a CF wrap from 3M if one is so inclined but whats the point?
The profile of the rear is going to be different from my model.Remember I was using pencils and rulers so difficult to produce bowl like shapes in to the model but if I get to scan the housing I need the rear will look like the one in the picture.The mounting holes will be removed and smoothed over.
One other idea I thought of is to keep the two threaded holes on the sides (if possible) and add sliding hinge which would make infinite adjustments Up/Down and Fore and Aft?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
That all sounds very sensible and I like the look of the housing you've pictured. Either way, it needs to bolt straight on, and ideally sit much lower and flatter than stock to take advantage of the slimline profile. Adjustability would be nice, but to me it's not required if you get a good position anyway.

Out of interest, does the S-model housing fit on our non-S gauges anyway?

If it did, an alternative would be to buy S housings and make up a mounting bracket - however, I much prefer your custom solution. ...can't wait to see where this goes. I'm going to find me a London 3D printer...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts