Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tying to improve the non-adjustable forks on my '98 900ss. The cartridges don't seem to come out of the lower tubes. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to get the cartridges out?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,204 Posts
IIRC, there's a bolt on the bottom of the fork holding it in. It's where the compression adjuster would be on a fully adjustable fork.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got that out, although it seemed to have threadlocker on it. Don't think it came from Bologna that way. The cartridge will spin in the tube, but won't come out. Is there something I can't see holding it in?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,204 Posts
No. Give it a good tug. There's a cap on the bottom of the cartridge that might be giving resistance for some reason.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
As you loosen the bottom bolt there is no tension on the compression valve block in the damper unit so it spins. You need to keep as much pressure on the damper unit as possible while removing the bolt. An impact gun may shock it free but still you need to be pulling on both ends.

Is it a marzzocci or showa unit?
Both come apart the same but be sure to check the chrome slider on either before spending much money on them, marzzocci forks wore through the chrome and showas often are pitted. New showa tubes are available aftermarket I do not know about the marzzocci.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
40mm marzocchi on the last of the 900ss cr carb model bikes? they don't come out.

well, if you remove the lower section from the leg (lots of heat) you can then unroll the bottom of the fork leg which is peened over to lock the "cartridge" (if you can call whatever piece of shit it is in there by that name) in place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the verdict is in. The bolt at the bottom holds the fork tube in the cast aluminum axle housing, not the cartridge in the tube. The cartridge is peened into the tube, as bradblack says.

I'm bagging the idea of improving these forks and going back to the plan to put the GSXR cartridges into a set of Showa adjustable forks from a Monster. If anyone needs a set of seals for the stock forks for a 98 900ss, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
if (if) the top cap of the gsxr fork (which you may not have) screws into the marzocchi tube, you could remove the lowers, unpeen the thing inside them, make some sort of lower plate to then repeen into the tubes to bolt through into the gsxr cartridge. a 1.3mm bleed hole in the bottom of the cartridge below the compression piston or through the piston body is i'm told a suitable fix for no compression adjuster.

i have everything needed to attempt the above apart from time.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Brad you are 100% right on the early marzzocci, I was thinking newer I guess so I just took a old (bent) one apart and as described it is a one way ticket due to how the unit is assembled. With no threads on the chrome tube I think they were using the set screw and the chrome tube being swedged over the bottom of the damper to hold it all together. The chrome tube is soft (no surprise there) enough it is easy to grind it off and remove the damper but then you need some way to either re-swedge the tube over the bottom of the assembly to hold the chrome slider in.

In a nut shell fun to play with little to no good reason to do so as a showa is a better fork with easy disassembly and parts availability. Better to swap to a showa or another fork swap than spend time on these as the chrome tubes were soft to begin with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts