Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today after 2k miles on my 2012 multi with the stock exhaust that it sounds louder and has more of a growl than it did new. It sounds better. Is this my imagination?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it. The motor is bedding in. The quality of sound mine makes is changing a bit as well, but it is hard to tell since I wear earplugs. I had a fairly unpleasant high pitched metallic whine when I first got it. Not so much now. I can't really speak to volume, though, since I put a Termi on mine. It is definitely louder.
I wonder if this is pretty typical of (large) new motors-
I have a VW diesel that is finally starting to sound like like a real diesel, but that has taken 25K miles. When I first drove the car, you would swear that it was a gasoline motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a 2012 S also and so eye see what you mean about the sound of the exhaust.

I can hear it more also but just thought I was more in tune with it than I was at first. In any event, it has hurt my wallet since the intoxicating sound of the testastretta engine has led me to buy the full Termignoni system. Will be installed next week.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I noticed today after 2k miles on my 2012 multi with the stock exhaust that it sounds louder and has more of a growl than it did new. It sounds better. Is this my imagination?

The sound REALLY improves when you change the exhaust system!

:)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It takes a while for the initial disappointment (finally owning a Ducati, only to find it sounds nothing like any Ducati you've ever lusted after) to wear off, then you slowly start to appreciate its unique sound. Also, as it gets older and more "run in" you do tend to open the throttle more than when it was brand new.

Mine's got 39000km on it now, and I still wish it sounded more like a "real" Ducati. Even the Termi system doesn't address this issue: I think that's more to do with the 2 into 1 system than anything else>

:eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
Wish I could say the same about my wife. As my departure date nears for this long-planned (in my mind anyway) cross country trip to ride the Dragon, she has gotten louder and has more of a growl. It's not my imagination.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
wish i could say the same about my wife. As my departure date nears for this long-planned (in my mind anyway) cross country trip to ride the dragon, she has gotten louder and has more of a growl. It's not my imagination.
Touche' :D

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
It takes a while for the initial disappointment (finally owning a Ducati, only to find it sounds nothing like any Ducati you've ever lusted after) to wear off, then you slowly start to appreciate its unique sound. Also, as it gets older and more "run in" you do tend to open the throttle more than when it was brand new.

Mine's got 39000km on it now, and I still wish it sounded more like a "real" Ducati. Even the Termi system doesn't address this issue: I think that's more to do with the 2 into 1 system than anything else>

:eek:
I think the 2 into 1 system has something to do with it, but more to do with the 11 deg. valve overlap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Listen to your stock exhaust from the side of the road as a buddy is on the throttle coming up a mountain road. Sweeeeeeet!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts