Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right off the bat I'm gonna apologize for asking something that must have been asked before. But I used search which gives me nothing(worse search engine ever) and I reAd through the FAQ and did find Blackies mod but that is a little over my head.

I hate the fact that my Monster696 (arrow black) is louder and sounds nicer than the SF1098. The fact that I have the SF is amazing so there is no way I can get away with buying exhaust for it, pretty sure that would push the wife over the edge.

Question: is there anything I can do to the stock exhaust to "open" it up a bit?
Drill holes?
Is there some DB killer piece that removable?
Anything?

I don't need more power, I am one o the lucky ones that the fueling doesn't really have an issue at 3000-3500.
I just need it to sound a bit louder or a lot.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Bon Vivant
10,919 Posts
There's nothing removable...

I think you have two options; Get busy and tackle blackies mods or...

get a new wife ;)

BTW your great fueling will go in the toilet if you change the exhaust or open the stock system up :cool:
Oh, and those who have good fueling with the stock system usually also have good fueling with the DP ECU that comes with Termis.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't get a new wife, there's no way anybody else would put up with my sh*t. ;)

It's good to know that if I don't have a fueling issue now it should remain that way when I do get exhaust.

Maybe I'll take a look at Blackies again just not go all the way...

·
Bon Vivant
10,919 Posts
It's good to know that if I don't have a fueling issue now it should remain that way when I do get exhaust.
That's not what I said. I said if you modify the exhaust it will need to be tuned. And, if you use a Termi system their ECU should still be OK on your bike.
That is not a definite but it is something I've seen on other bikes with good fueling from the factory.

So understand - you start screwing with your exhaust to make it louder and you WILL have a bigger problem on your hands.
Fixing the SF fueling issue is a huge PITA!

·
Bon Vivant
10,919 Posts
These guys make very nice and inexpensive exhausts that you can fit to the SF...
Might be better than butchering the stock system

But you'll still have to tune the bike somehow.

here's a link to one on Ebay

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You can always also mod your cans & then buy a lead & fire a nice new map into the ECU :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
These guys make very nice and inexpensive exhausts that you can fit to the SF...

Has anyone bought these? I've looked into the Balckie mod (fantastic by the way) and contacted PJ engineering but total parts cost plus shipping the carbon tubes across the pond, I will spend much more than the $375 this company advertises a pair of mufflers for.

I contacted the company to see about inlet sizing since they don't list any muffler specifically for the streetfighter. If anyone has bought them, what model did you buy?

I'm not worried about the tuning, I'll work it all out with my bazzaz.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Before I bought my CRM exhaust, I drilled/punched out the catalytic material in the stock cans and punched a bunch of holes through the inner chamber walls (long screwdriver). It was a pain to get the cat material out but if you keep at it it will break up and come out. Opening the cans up this way did not seem to affect how the bike ran - as far as I could tell it ran basically the same as stock (mine had the 3800rpm stumble from new) - but it sounded much better. I ran it without cans for a while but that was just stupid loud and it didn't run as well at higher RPM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Before I bought my CRM exhaust, I drilled/punched out the catalytic material in the stock cans and punched a bunch of holes through the inner chamber walls (long screwdriver). It was a pain to get the cat material out but if you keep at it it will break up and come out. Opening the cans up this way did not seem to affect how the bike ran - as far as I could tell it ran basically the same as stock (mine had the 3800rpm stumble from new) - but it sounded much better. I ran it without cans for a while but that was just stupid loud and it didn't run as well at higher RPM.
I removed all of the cat material and dremeled out some larger passages in the stock can too. I had a flat spot which did not get any worse or better (bazzaz fixed that later). Just looking to get rid of the ugly stock cans.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was thinking of modifying the cans too, but than I read about the hassle (also considering I will sell the bike in the future) and decided to buy a pair of cans that look almost standard.
The CAT is removed, Db killers are provided and valve and lambda sensor still working.

Gegbike.com sells some cans for about €500,- thats for a set of 2 cans. They sound incredible and performance is great as far as I can feel. Here's a picture of them on my SF848. I've got some soundclips on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
If anyone wants to play ..? I have an extra set of stock cans laying around for $ 150 - they are 'like new."

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was thinking of modifying the cans too, but than I read about the hassle (also considering I will sell the bike in the future) and decided to buy a pair of cans that look almost standard.
The CAT is removed, Db killers are provided and valve and lambda sensor still working.

Gegbike.com sells some cans for about €500,- thats for a set of 2 cans. They sound incredible and performance is great as far as I can feel. Here's a picture of them on my SF848. I've got some soundclips on YouTube.

Ducati Streetfighter 848 G&G exhaust - YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle
any sound clip with the baffles on?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Off an SF or SFS?

2011 Monster696 Gave it to the wife
2010 SF1098

Brushed stainless - standard -not the black

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts

Flynn, there is no way that you can say that is a good looking exhaust... it looks like something out of the dollar store-

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
" Before I bought my CRM exhaust, I drilled/punched out the catalytic material in the stock cans and punched a bunch of holes through the inner chamber walls (long screwdriver). It was a pain to get the cat material out but if you keep at it it will break up and come out. Opening the cans up this way did not seem to affect how the bike ran - as far as I could tell it ran basically the same as stock (mine had the 3800rpm stumble from new) - but it sounded much better. I ran it without cans for a while but that was just stupid loud and it didn't run as well at higher RPM. "

Would be what I would have said. I did the drill em out trick and it worked fine, I too had the stumble but meh, I got over it.
The drilling and reaming process takes a bit of doing but it's not impossible, just keep at it and enjoy the boom when you are done bro.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts