Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm curious, does anyone know if there is a difference between the stock ECU and the DP ECU?

I.E. is the DP ECU as a piece of electronic hardware capable of something that the stock ECU is not? My guess is that it is a stock ECU with a "Race Only" fueling map that cannot be leagally installed on a stock ECU due to E3 regulations.

I'm just curious why a new physical ECU is necessary with the switch to the Termi slip-ons. Is the magic in the map or a combination of the map and something special about the new ECU hardware that the stock ECU is not capable of?

Moto? Shift-tech? Anyone? :)

Thanks!

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
the DP ECU is the one provided with the termi slip ons and the full termi system. both systems come with a high flow air filter too. and the ECU makes a map adjustment for this as well as not using a closed loop circuit (so it removes the need for the lambda O2 sensors)
It may do a few other things as well.
To answer your question. it's a 'software' difference that may possibly be reflected in the hardware of the chip architecture, but as far as plugging it in.. it's the same hardware.
you may be able to program or buy a program for the OEM chip that can do the same thing as the DP ECU does. I think there is a "protune" system that can reprogram the OEM chip as you woudl like it available from one of the sponsoring members of the site (I think it's a Moto wheels thing).

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
I believe the slip on ECU still uses the O2 sensors/flapper, while the full exhaust ECU eliminates the O2 sensors and the flapper.

The ProTune allows for choice depending on if you are doing it in stages. I believe Martin is allowing purchasers to use multiple maps as you change to parts that are not available yet.

I'm leaning towards this HEAVILY, just waiting patiently to see what Arrow has to offer in terms of full exhaust system.

Martin can chime in to back me up/refute any errors on my part. For the money, it's probably the best way to go IMO.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The ProTune allows for choice depending on if you are doing it in stages. I believe Martin is allowing purchasers to use multiple maps as you change to parts that are not available yet.

I'm leaning towards this HEAVILY, just waiting patiently to see what Arrow has to offer in terms of full exhaust system.
I'm leaning this way also, but would use the ProTune with the stock exhaust/filter as a means of smoothing the engine at low revs...

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The maps for the Protune eliminate the low speed O2 sensor circuit--so it should solve the low speed throttle issues. It also eliminates the flapper valve.

I'm using the DP map for the slip-on right now. It runs very smooth with no issues at all. I believe the full system map is now available as well.

-M

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
The part no. for both the slip-on and full system DP ECU are the same.

Has anyone confirmed that the full system does indeed eliminate the exhaust valve and the o2 sensors?

If so, I would have to guess that the slip-on ECU also overlooks both of these things in the software even though they are physically left intact.
But if that were the case then why would some bikes still have the low RPM issues with the slip-on system? - maybe the closed loop system remains with performance exhaust options?

What I'm saying is that we don't really know what's going on with this bike's ECU.
It may or may not eliminate the o2 sensor and the closed loop system.
Can someone confirm either way with info from Ducati?

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
The maps for the Protune eliminate the low speed O2 sensor circuit--so it should solve the low speed throttel issues. It also eliminates the flapper valve.

I'm using the DP map for the slip-on right now. It runs very smooth with no issues at all. I believe the full system map is now available as well.

-M
If a protune system was installed (the 'standard' selection) would it directly retune the system to not include the flapper valve and o2 sensors? and in removing the flapper valve, could one uninstall the servo motor and unplug it (ie completely remove it)?
also are there any performance enhancements that are part of the 'standard' map?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
If a protune system was installed (the 'standard' selection) would it directly retune the system to not include the flapper valve and o2 sensors? and in removing the flapper valve, could one uninstall the servo motor and unplug it (ie completely remove it)?
also are there any performance enhancements that are part of the 'standard' map?
The Protune is a tool to "reflash" your existing ECU. It pulls the map off of your ECU and replaces it with one that is loaded on the Protune unit. It is not a "piggyback" device like a Power Commander.

All of the Protune maps that I have seen eliminate the O2 sensors and flapper valve.

On our SF project we removed the flapper valve assembly completely on the full system. On the slip-on Termi system, the flapper was disconnected but still in the pipe.

We have not used a "standard" map on our SF because there were none available when we had our stock pipes. We've only used the DP slip-on map on our bike up to this point. The standard maps on other bikes have improved performance.

-M

·
Registered
102 Posts
The carbon slipons in the US do not have catalytic converters, are stated to be intended for off-road use, and therefore do not need closed loop operation to supply the cats. The titanium slipons do have catalytic converters (that is why they are referred to as "homologated", meaning they are legal for street use). The fact that the ECU's for the full Termi system and the carbon slipons have the same part number tells the same tale. I would predict that the ECU included with the titanium slipons is a different part number than that for the other two, because it still uses the O2 sensors and closed loop operation for its catalytic converters.

·
Registered
530 Posts
So what would you guys say about just putting on slipons and remapping your stock ECU versus buy the whole kit with the filter ECU and slipons? The whole kit is going to run my 2025 installed and 1500 just the slipons and the remap. Witch system will get me better performance?

·
Temporary greeter
23,085 Posts
So what would you guys say about just putting on slipons and remapping your stock ECU versus buy the whole kit with the filter ECU and slipons? The whole kit is going to run my 2025 installed and 1500 just the slipons and the remap. Witch system will get me better performance?
What kind of "remap"?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
If you do slip-ons without the ECU you will not be happy with the result. The bike will not be smooth and backfire a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
If you do slip-ons without the ECU you will not be happy with the result. The bike will not be smooth and backfire a lot.
This not always the case. I am running a stock ECU with a 3/4 system -no cats/ no flapper -Double Dog exhaust. Bike has never run better !!! No decel backfires -NO backfires at all. In fact it runs so well that I have not installed the K&N air filter I bought till I have a chance to get it to a pro for an in depth look at tuning.

Who knows... I may not change a thing.

·
Temporary greeter
23,085 Posts
Ducati Nemesis Engine Management Installation and Mapping services
Then the Nemesis would be the way to go IMO. Is your bike an S model? If so, Nemesis did not originally support DTC, but not sure if they got it figured out yet.

There are tons of threads on here on the subject. Look in the FAQ about fueling issues.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Then the Nemesis would be the way to go IMO. Is your bike an S model? If so, Nemesis did not originally support DTC, but not sure if they got it figured out yet.

There are tons of threads on here on the subject. Look in the FAQ about fueling issues.
Yeah, Nemesis and then add the Nemesis TC system...
Nemesis or Microtec ECU = $1000
Nemesis TC = $2300
Cans = $800-1200
Dyno Time = $300?

So for about $4500, you can have more power, nice cans, TC on a non-S bike. Do it! (There is a recent thread on the Nemesis TC on the superbike forum, supposedly works very nice)

Damned Upgrades! :think:

·
Temporary greeter
23,085 Posts
Yeah, Nemesis and then add the Nemesis TC system...
Nemesis or Microtec ECU = $1000
Nemesis TC = $2300
Cans = $800-1200
Dyno Time = $300?

So for about $4500, you can have more power, nice cans, TC on a non-S bike. Do it! (There is a recent thread on the Nemesis TC on the superbike forum, supposedly works very nice)

Damned Upgrades! :think:
Yeah, I don't see how they could be offering Termi slip ons and a Nemesis tune for $1500. Somethin' ain't right there.

·
1,766 Posts
No need for any after-market ECUs. Just get Termi full exhaust system. Its DP ECU (it comes with a system) gets rid of O2 sensor, a closed loop and servo motor. Plus it allows you to piggy back it with Power Commander through the entire RPM range.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Yeah, I don't see how they could be offering Termi slip ons and a Nemesis tune for $1500. Somethin' ain't right there.
He didn't say he was getting a Nemesis...in response to your question he stated Ducati Nemesis Engine Management Installation and Mapping Services were doing the remap...so maybe those guys are remappng his stock ECU...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts