Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped my Hyper off at Silverback Racing here in Minneapolis. They can flash/load DNA maps into the stock ECU. I'll post up the dyno charts when they're finished tuning it. Should be interesting... LV slip ons, mid pipe and CCworks tank/pods... no other mods... will pretty much mimic what the race ECU from DNA does (02 sensor eliminated), however I can retune this at my will (well, for a price).

Follow up to come!

B

PS: Also, going back to stock plugs, front sprocket and throttle tube.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much was this option and how did it work out for you?
Bike's still getting tuned... busy time of year I guess. I'll let you know, but it's about $300 to do the initial flashing of the ECU and then about $100 for each hour of dyno... not cheap for sure... but I expect to see amazing results.

This is the link to the shop doing the tuning:

http://www.silverbackperformance.net/ducati.html

B

·
Registered
605 Posts
So they start with a reflash to, say, the 2-1 DPECU map, and then tweak the map from there based on dyno results? In the end that is a far better way to go than a PC, as it keeps things simple.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That would seem to open up a lot of tuning options...look forward to the results.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they start with a reflash to, say, the 2-1 DPECU map, and then tweak the map from there based on dyno results? In the end that is a far better way to go than a PC, as it keeps things simple.
Exactly.

b

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dyno Charts from Flashed stock ECU

So here are my results. Not too bad from a stock ECU. Well, flashed. This is after the tuning/throttle/timing adj. removal of 02 sensor, airbox and addition of mid pipe with LV cans. Nothing else. The fuel efficiency is vastly improved. Most of the hp gain is at the top, but the rideability has definitely gotten better... I also put the 15t sprocket back on... I was getting really tired of short shifting with the 14... oh, and the stock ECU now displays "Race ECU" on my dash. Kinda cool.

Enjoy,

B

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Brainfry, that is a nice result. How long did it take Silverback to complete the work?

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brainfry, that is a nice result. How long did it take Silverback to complete the work?
They had the bike for over a week... not fast by any stretch... but it's still CRA season! ;)

Is your profile pic from DCTC? Looks familiar!

B

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
So if they are just flashing it with standard DP maps, don't you still need a PC or something similar to actually get it tuned on the dyno?

Out!

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if they are just flashing it with standard DP maps, don't you still need a PC or something similar to actually get it tuned on the dyno?

Out!

Yep. It's just not on board. I saw the software they use and they gave me a quick demo of how it works and how they dial it in everywhere, but that shit's way beyond my comprehension. I'm in advertising after all!

b

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry for the late response, but..

the question was; <don't you still need a PC or something similar to actually get it tuned on the dyno? >

The answer is actually, no.

The problem has been (since the intro of the IAW59M ECU) communication with the ECU.

It's all just files stored on chips. In the case of the PCIII the fuel trim data is stored on the chip in the PCIII and Dynojet writes the software to adjust that information.
Since we can now read and write to the original ECU, we have the original calibration file in our hot little computer. The hard part is finding the tables in these increasingly larger files. The company that sells the serial programmer also sells a program that displays the tables. Once we can see the values in the tables, we can change the values, thereby changing the fueling and ignition timing, and anything else we can locate.

That is what the PCIII does, except it is intercepting the injector pulse-width values on their way to the injectors and allows us to shorten or lengthen those pulse-widths, thereby decreasing or increasing the fuel to the engine.

Instead, we can now change the values in the fuel, timing, acceleration enrichment, etc. tables in the calibration file.

In fact, I did try some WOT timing changes on that particular cal and ended up 1 degree less than the original values. I did make a lot of changes over the entire timing table because it was kinda wonky.

The only reason that I started with a DP cal is that we don't know how to shut off the closed-loop operation with the oxygen sensor. The DP cal has that turned off, problem solved.
I have managed to find the dash display values and can change it if I want to, but anything I might put in there may be un-welcome or mis-percieved as self-serving or dumb, and it doesn't improve the performance, so I left it alone.

Existing cals aren't even close. If you look at brainfry's charts you will see that the WOT AFR of the original cal is richer than 10:1 at the top-end.
If the solution was merely flashing a ripped off calibration, we wouldn't need to tune it. But it isn't and we do.

Doug

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the late response, but..

the question was; <don't you still need a PC or something similar to actually get it tuned on the dyno? >

The answer is actually, no.

The problem has been (since the intro of the IAW59M ECU) communication with the ECU.

It's all just files stored on chips. In the case of the PCIII the fuel trim data is stored on the chip in the PCIII and Dynojet writes the software to adjust that information.
Since we can now read and write to the original ECU, we have the original calibration file in our hot little computer. The hard part is finding the tables in these increasingly larger files. The company that sells the serial programmer also sells a program that displays the tables. Once we can see the values in the tables, we can change the values, thereby changing the fueling and ignition timing, and anything else we can locate.

That is what the PCIII does, except it is intercepting the injector pulse-width values on their way to the injectors and allows us to shorten or lengthen those pulse-widths, thereby decreasing or increasing the fuel to the engine.

Instead, we can now change the values in the fuel, timing, acceleration enrichment, etc. tables in the calibration file.

In fact, I did try some WOT timing changes on that particular cal and ended up 1 degree less than the original values. I did make a lot of changes over the entire timing table because it was kinda wonky.

The only reason that I started with a DP cal is that we don't know how to shut off the closed-loop operation with the oxygen sensor. The DP cal has that turned off, problem solved.
I have managed to find the dash display values and can change it if I want to, but anything I might put in there may be un-welcome or mis-percieved as self-serving or dumb, and it doesn't improve the performance, so I left it alone.

Existing cals aren't even close. If you look at brainfry's charts you will see that the WOT AFR of the original cal is richer than 10:1 at the top-end.
If the solution was merely flashing a ripped off calibration, we wouldn't need to tune it. But it isn't and we do.

Doug
Yeah, what Doug said. All I know is the proof is in the performance.

Thanks for clarifying Doug.

Here's to putting on more miles... vs. kilometers... wink, wink.

B

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Brainfry,
I am not going to make it to Appreciation Day At DCTC on October 4. I am working as an independent contractor and my customer wants me both Saturday and Sunday. I am going to try to make it to Old Chicago though, I hope to see you there.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brainfry,
I am not going to make it to Appreciation Day At DCTC on October 4. I am working as an independent contractor and my customer wants me both Saturday and Sunday. I am going to try to make it to Old Chicago though, I hope to see you there.
Cool. I'll keep an eye out for you. And save ya some pizza!

b

1 - 17 of 17 Posts