Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with an STM slipper clutch tell me what the correct diameter of the loose ball bearings in the slipper or angled lift section? Mine are gone. There is nobody to call about this, It is just a part number. Same part on all clutches it looks like. And it is shipped from Italy, which is now closed.
stm balls.png
stm balls.png

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest I was expecting a hand drawn middle finger. The damn things are 1/4 " . Not Metric. If you had said it I'm not quite sure I would have it. Thank you....

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I unfortunately am no help with your actual problem, but I can share a funny story... After a day with Reg Pridmore’s crew at Streets of Willow, ended up at a restaurant with the group and one of the instructors told me a story from when he used to work at a Ducati dealership in the mid 90’s. Italy has closed for August for as long anyone can remember, and pre email days, the Ducati factory would load up their fax machine full of paper, walk out the door and lock it behind them. Invariably at some point during the month, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, the machine would run out of paper. When they returned they would start to sort through it all and every dealer that put in an order in the second half if the month would start the process of trying to find out what they sent that was received and what was in fact lost for the ages. So, at least you know that your email will be received, albeit in a few weeks. You’ve got that going for you, which is nice...

Reactions: 96c

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Wait, Wait, Wait ! Back up a little. Yours are GONE ? Have you given any thought to where they might be ? Are you going to follow the new ones , hoping they lead you to the old
ones ? Usually, when someone loses their balls, their first concern is finding their old balls, not where they might find new balls

Reactions: 96c

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the concern for the absence of my balls. I assure you they are no where near this motorcycle. However identifying the size of something missing is paramount to returning to a state of complete wholeness. Worrying about that which is lost is for those that ruminate - as opposed to those who have plans to fuck up in the future...(Used off Ebay hence no balls)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
And not for the faint of heart. I am using extra balls to lap in the race on the slipper wedge. This will remove the natural hump from prior use and smooth the operation of the lift mechanism. Yes if you remove too much you will have to work out the loss of total stack height. See the light grey area. The hump is gone. About 300 cycles by hand with the valve lapping compound.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK - So I got me this hotrod STM Slipper clutch from a well know parts guy. I have a 2007 1098s with a 25mm pilot shaft. This made to fit "All Dry Clutch Duc's" is 20mm. What is the normal shaft size of a Ducati 1098s 2007? ProfetPVD you jinxed me... Dumb ass move...It fits just fine when you actually line it up right....

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Yes I just ate a goddamned bagel.
I've had 4 beers and will do my best to restrain myself. Do you eat like cookie monster? Do you know about plates? Mercy, we can forgive you, but that image is very very difficult for me to see. (though i keep looking at it and laugh)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your alcohol induced rage is hurtful. I have cleaned my keyboard after breakfast today. I have also put my grey hoodie in the wash. I am currently cleaning my aviator sunglasses. Later I will sweep the cabin.
IMG_20200814_112540.jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay - Back to topic. In order to make this clutch fit my 1098s with 25mm shaft. I had to order a "Transformation Kit KDU-S030". This is the lock nut and washers for diaphragm spring. But - I also needed the correct spacer for the stock basket and the correct shaft bushing. Marco at Eurocorsa.com pulled it all together for me. Big thanks to him.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you buy a new clutch and just wait 4 weeks to get it all of these parts are in the box. I now have $450.00 dollars in a clutch that costs about that. But - I did it while Italy was closed.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Your alcohol induced rage is hurtful. I have cleaned my keyboard after breakfast today. I have also put my grey hoodie in the wash. I am currently cleaning my aviator sunglasses. Later I will sweep the cabin.
Dude... absolutely beautiful return. Seriously... best laugh I've had today.

Kudos.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts