Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FWIW, after four years of use, approx., 15,000 miles, my STM slave cylinder started to leak. I'm not sure whether to judge this a reasonable expectation of life... maybe yes. I've put on an Oberon slave cylinder now.

Anyways, a word of advice: keep an eye on the fluid level and fluid color of your clutch tank!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Educational help please: what does the discoloring of the clutch fluid to black mean? I've read that this okay but my Duc mechanic said no. As shown by this posting, my slave cylinder was leaking/ seal ultimately went bad. So, does discoloring to black mean I should be changing this in the future more frequently? JC, you noted that the Aella slave cylinder does not change the color to the color of "Guiness." I presume that's a good thing and that's what spurred my question.

I guess this makes sense and sounds like it's a normal thing: "It is actually the Slave Cylinder Seal, and Hydraulic Line that is causing your fluid to become blackened and contaminated. This is simply due to the residue on the rubber components."

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got 20k miles on a yoyodyne slave cylinder. I've changed my fluid quite often, but it still gets dark very quick. Clutch works as it should, and there aren't any leaks, so as far as I'm concerned it's just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
It's a perfectly normal Ducati thing. It has ever been so with Ducati hydraulic clutches. Any mechanic who says otherwise probably doesn't have much experience with the brand.

Now if your brake fluid turns black, that is another matter...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts