Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of removing all the breather stuff and just having the STM or K&N breather filter (although not listed for the ST4s or 996 SBK on their website) but have others had any 'actual' incidents with oil misting or other that make it a negative modification ?
(I have read the old shaazam post)
Also what about individual air filters on the intakes , anybody done that and same questions about issues ?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I had a K&N for 4 years and it failed and leaked. Tough to notice sometimes too

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a K&N for 4 years and it failed and leaked. Tough to notice sometimes too
So have you returned to the full breather system now ?

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Not on the ST, but on my old 900SSie. I had an STM breather with a K&N filter on it. Didn't have a problem with oil misting on that bike. When I took it to the dyno for its PC3 tuning, the operator did hesitate to do the work with the filter on. He said he'd seen more than a few get oil everywhere. I think engine condition, as in ring wear and amount of blow by, as well as how often the bike is in the upper RPM range would make a difference here. At one point the K&N split at the rubber flange. I just reinstalled the original catch tank and plumbing. IMO the mod was more cosmetic on the SS. Took out a lot of visible black rubber plumbing and opened up the frame area under he seat where the catch tanks sits. I can't honestly say I noticed any difference in operation, except being able to smell hot oil sitting in traffic with it installed. I never did it to the ST4s and have no intention doing it to the 916. The ST sees higher sustained RPMs than my old SS. That's likely where you'd see the misting.

Why are you thinking of doing it? Since you read the info that's out there, you know it's performance benefit is supposed to come in at high RPM, which is also where you're likely to see the misting. If it's high RPM performance you're after, you're probably better off doing the mod where you move the breather valve to the end of a longer hose terminating under the seat to a tank or filter of some sort giving you the greater crank case volume benefit with less chance of greasing up the rear tire. If it's cosmetic, hell just go for it and don't burn too many long wheelies!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
So have you returned to the full breather system now ?
Yep, Not sure how/when it went but I did get a small leak. The K&N is too close to the exhaust IMHO which helped in the failure. Mine went as per SS904 but I am not often in the upper range of the revs

·
7,733 Posts
Can/should the stock crank case vent-breather system be serviced? How do you remove it? Strap wrench?

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Here's my journey:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/92584-breather-being-naughty.html

The typically rock solid plastic breather started leaking, so I started experimenting. I'm not Mr Leakered for nuthin'.

Having just recently installed the Ford diverter valve, as seen in the last post, most of the low end torque bump that I felt was just the race breather adding volume to the crankcase. The big diverter didn't seem to add much except some smoothness.

Now, the sound with that diverter. Oh the sound. Oddly, my open airbox doesn't sound like it is going to suck my face off anymore. It adds depth to the sound.

stryder,

It depends on the strap wrench you have: size and shape. I use some channel locks.

BTW with my luck, I wouldn't personally run with a breather filter.

Have a good one.

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not looking for a performance gain but rather just thinking of getting rid of all the 'plumbing'.

Before emisisions testing I dont recall us needing all this stuff and as the MOT here in the UK does not include such a test then thought maybe I would just get rid...

I am currently in the process of taking the engine out for a re-paint and to get the cams dialed-in so thought might save putting it all back maybe including the air-box/filter.

·
7,733 Posts
stryder,

It depends on the strap wrench you have: size and shape. I use some channel locks....
I remember taking at look at the vent when I worked on the battery ground and wanting to pull it out to examine/clean it then bit it looked like it be tough to get out in a tight area without a huge socket. :) I may take another look come warmer weather. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Not looking for a performance gain but rather just thinking of getting rid of all the 'plumbing'.

Before emisisions testing I dont recall us needing all this stuff and as the MOT here in the UK does not include such a test then thought maybe I would just get rid...

I am currently in the process of taking the engine out for a re-paint and to get the cams dialed-in so thought might save putting it all back maybe including the air-box/filter.
It is sort of an emissions bit, but the Corse race bikes actually use a much larger oil trap and piping to expand the effective size of the crankcase. That, along with the negative pressure from the intake suction, gives a performance bump.

As was gone over in the past, I don't have dyno access. So, no number comparisons are available, but there is a torque bump felt in the butt dyno.

There is a bit more sound (very good sound) with that big time diverter valve. No sound difference with a smaller, typical automotive PCV valve. I'd be happy to donate the one I used as the Ford valve is staying around permanently.

Some do say that the Corse breather helps contain some bits and oil volume if the motor lets go.

Some Monster riders have removed the oil trap and just routed a hose from the breather to the airbox to clean up the looks.

As far as looks, I'd rather get rid of the visible fuel lines, but a few sources have assured me that it is not possible. As some folks would agree, the pump design and filler location are just not optimal.

BTW, I do not think you can get the oil trap out without removing the shock, or hacking it to pieces.

I remember taking at look at the vent when I worked on the battery ground and wanting to pull it out to examine/clean it then bit it looked like it be tough to get out in a tight area without a huge socket. :) I may take another look come warmer weather. :)
Internally, it should be very clean as it is exposed to hot oil. If there is a sludging problem, then the breather is the least of our worries. :p Of course, I'm just sayin'. No sludging issues have been report. Just qualifiing my joke. You know.

It isn't fun to remove, but there are a few less fun bits to mess with, like the vert header nuts, at least on the four valvers.

Have a good one.

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
Crank case breather mod.

I have the standard system on my 2000 748

On my 1998 748 I have the K&N crankcase breather.

I haven't incurred any breather oil getting on things in the '98 and I run the oil at normal level.

Yes, it looks a lot cleaner behind the vertical cyclinder with all that plumbing removed. But, if I tracked it, I'd most surely extend the breather to a catch can under the seat. Just seams life a good policy to keep oil off rear tire.

So, as far as performance and sound?

My Butt Dyno says the '98 has more balls than the 2000 and this is one of the few mods on the engine.

My 2000 has a cracked factory breather tank now and I will replace it with another stock tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also what about individual air filters on the intakes , anybody done that and same questions about issues ?
I am also curious about this one. My airbox has a K&N in it now but getting rid of said airbox via individual filters would free up all kinds of space. I'm sure it's been done but like the question above, any issues?

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
my ST4 had a k&n oil breather on it when I got the bike. Not the ST4s however.
So, now I'll have to take a close look at what's involved to ditch the stock system. The ST4 has never misted oil and now has right at 62k on the clock.

·
Registered
647 Posts
While you guys are discussing crankcase breathers you might like to take a look at the Bunn breather from NZ. The website is a bit clunky but there is a lot of good technical information there.

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW, I do not think you can get the oil trap out without removing the shock, or hacking it to pieces.

Thats Ok because the shock will be out anyways but still cant decide on this , maybe a compromise with the remote mounting of the filter. Not sure which would work anyway as the 996/4s is not listed so that would be another problem.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
The breather is the same. I think maybe the 1098 have a larger hose to the oil trap, maybe.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
While you guys are discussing crankcase breathers you might like to take a look at the Bunn breather from NZ. The website is a bit clunky but there is a lot of good technical information there.

That site is very good, Derek. Thanks.

Have a good one.

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So decided I would go ahead and try this mod (removing the catch tank etc) but am blinded by a multitude of google results none of which seem to give a clear suggestion as to the correct K&N filter I would need. Does anyone have a catalogue number that I can work with ? then I can look for a UK source.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts