Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to drop in a lightweight clutch to decrease some rotating mass and perk up the revs (a lightweight flywheel is to pair up with it). I've decided against a slipper clutch as the application is for street riding only on my 2001 ST2 and the slipper clutches also tend to be much more $$$.

I leaning toward the STM Evoluzione 48 tooth lightweight alloy model with the 90mm Evo diaphragm spring in place of the traditional 6 spring pressure plate type. Definitely more $$$ than a lightweight stock configuration type clutch but still less than a good quality slipper type. It looks intriguing.

Does anyone else have any experience with this type of clutch or any of the other STM line of clutches (lightweight or slipper type). STM appears to be one of the big names in high quality clutch systems; right? Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Thomas

Attachments

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Looks nice, and I bet it works great at reduce mass, similar to like what a lightweight flywheel would do. I just installed an STM slipper clutch on my race bike, but it won't be on the track for another month. What I can say is the quality of the STM parts are great.

I was looking on www.motowheels.com at I think the same STM Evoluzione Lightweight Clutch 48T and it's about the same price I paid for my Surflex slipper clutch which included the plates. The STM you still need to get plates. What's the advantage of the 48T over a move standard 12T. With the 48T your clutch plate selection is limited and the cost is higher on a 12T? I was more than happy with my Surflex on my 749, though it doesn't look as trick at the STM.

btw, motowheels has an STM "Evoluzione" Slipper Clutch: 12T on sale, listed at the same price as the non slipper 48T.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info there vduc. True that with a 12T clutch basket there are a greater number of available clutch pac options. The reason I was leaning towards the 48T is the claimed increase in the basket life due to decrease load and notching secondary to a greater surface area of contact between the plates and basket. I found a nice overview on Duc clutch tech here. http://www.ducati.net/faq.cfm?id=52 I appreciate any input as I'm still open to suggestions to find the best clutch application for my ST2. I know that clutch replacement tends to be common place and I'm looking to find out what works for others. The jury is still out for now but the STM Evo unit still sounds and looks pretty cool. time will tell. Thanks again vduc!

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Thanks for the tech info link.

Personally I would stick with the 12T pack just for the sake of more options and if I was ever to need a replacement when I'm out on the road. Probably a better chance of finding stock 12T Ducati clutch plates than a 48T STM only.

I'm a big fan of slippers, really because of a track bias. I pulled the Surflex out of the 749 and should be putting it in the Multistrada soon so will see how it goes on the street. Not to pimp the Surflex, it also significantly reduces the effort at the lever.

If you go the STM route don't hide it behind the stock clutch cover :) The STM I installed is on my Aprilia with a wet clutch so I can't even look at it :(

G

·
Blue, The STM is a great clutch. You are right the 48 gives you longer basket life but the big advantage is that the clutch pack lasts much longer. The tabs on the pack don't wear as much because the stress is less on each point. I wouldn't worry about the amount of clutch pack choices because of how long they last.
The STM comes at a price though. I sell a Clutch made by RCM of italy and have had great results and long life on their clutch packs. You can get a RCM slipper for the STM non slipper price. It is 6 sping and 12 tab but once you use a slipper, then it sucks riding a bike without one. Decisions,Decisions.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
vduc said:
Thanks for the tech info link.

Personally I would stick with the 12T pack just for the sake of more options and if I was ever to need a replacement when I'm out on the road. Probably a better chance of finding stock 12T Ducati clutch plates than a 48T STM only.

I'm a big fan of slippers, really because of a track bias. I pulled the Surflex out of the 749 and should be putting it in the Multistrada soon so will see how it goes on the street. Not to pimp the Surflex, it also significantly reduces the effort at the lever.

If you go the STM route don't hide it behind the stock clutch cover :) The STM I installed is on my Aprilia with a wet clutch so I can't even look at it :(

if you're interested there is a kit out there for aprilia's that will make your wet clutch to a dry clutch, do a google search.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
These clutches look great, but if anyone's worried about the availabilty of replacement plates, why not just get a spare set with the clutch - then you'll never have a problem.... :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
...untill you need to get a third set!

lol

Anywho, did you ever get this set-up installed Blue?

I almost went with the lighweight flywheel as well as the lightweight clutch and basket, but I decided not to. Opting to see if I felt like the drop in weight from the basket,et all would be enough. If not I would drop the cash for the flywheel too.

Since the motor in the ST2 is essentially a 900 motor (correct me if I'm wrong), I figured your review would be pretty valid for me. If you ended up going with the swap, how was it with the flywheel and all?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JDuc said:
...untill you need to get a third set!

lol

Anywho, did you ever get this set-up installed Blue?

I almost went with the lighweight flywheel as well as the lightweight clutch and basket, but I decided not to. Opting to see if I felt like the drop in weight from the basket,et all would be enough. If not I would drop the cash for the flywheel too.

Since the motor in the ST2 is essentially a 900 motor (correct me if I'm wrong), I figured your review would be pretty valid for me. If you ended up going with the swap, how was it with the flywheel and all?
JDuc, funny you mentioned it. As it happens, I dropped my ST2 off at the dealer last Wednesday afternoon to have the STM clutch and a DP lightweight flywheel installed. Sorry, you gonna have to wait for the reviews since I haven't tried it yet. When I dropped off the clutch the service tech went by and said "nice unit you got there" ( I think he was referring to the clutch...LOL). I look forward to picking the bike up this week and finding some time to give it a go. Since the Mrs. works nights leaving me home most days after work to play Mr. Mom to our 2 year old daughter, riding time has become increasingly scarce. I'll keep you posted.

PS.. since the slipper version off the clutch uses the same basket, cover and clutch pack so I can convert over at a later time if I want to go slipper by changing out the hub unit.

Cheers,

Thomas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.