Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the performance difference between the 28mm and 30mm STM Clutch Slave Cylinder. I'm looking to change my stock one (2001 748s) its leaking pretty bad.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
The 30mm will require less force to pull than the 28 but will not separate the plates as much as it will move less distance - the trade-off for less force is more travel.

Either way you will probably need your lever on the largest span setting to be able to find neutral.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the 28mm will engage the plates better...ok, Do you think I'll have to move my lever out as far for the 28??

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I have an Evoluzione slave cyl which, I believe is 28.5mm and it really needs the 4-way lever setting on #1 (largest span) otherwise neutral can be tricky to find, especially if the clutch pack is slightly thicker.

Although I have since removed 2 springs from the clutch and with the right clutch pack thickness could probably get away with #2 setting but I like #1 as it suits my hand size.

If you go too large with the bore of the slave cyl you can get clutch engagement/disengagement problems which also depends on which master cylinder ratio you have.

Shazzam posted a useful chart showing the effects of different cylinder/ratios that may be of help;

Attachments

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Leaking STM slave cylinder

FWIW, after four years of use, approx., 15,000 miles, my STM slave cylinder started to leak. I'm not sure whether to judge this a reasonable expectation of life... maybe. I've put on an Oberon slave cylinder now.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I've had both the STM and the Oberon and neutral is difficult to find, compared to stock for me. I dont sweat it a lot as it's a track bike, but still annoying. Trade offs I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts