Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone crash tested the STM titanium clutch cover? (The wire type)

I currently run no cover at all. I would like to have some protection in the event of a fall at the track or on the street, but also want to keep it well vented and exposed if possible (STM Evoluzione eye candy, after all). So do these stand up to a lowside and protect well, or are they pretty much only good for keeping your pant leg away?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Haven't crash tested one, but it looks purely ornamental. For crash protection look at Woodcraft; for crash protection with style, look at SpeedyMoto. They all seem well ventillated to keep things cool. Personally, I've had my eye on the "Flow" model for some time, but I like the looks (tho minimal protection) of my Corse CF cover.

http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2...Product_Code=01-0207BLK&Category_Code=01-0207

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Haven't crash tested one, but it looks purely ornamental. For crash protection look at Woodcraft; for crash protection with style, look at SpeedyMoto. They all seem well ventillated to keep things cool. Personally, I've had my eye on the "Flow" model for some time, but I like the looks (tho minimal protection) of my Corse CF cover.

http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2...Product_Code=01-0207BLK&Category_Code=01-0207
I have the flow with a stm vertigo under it on my 999

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
I run the STM and wouldn't even want to think about crash-testing it...it's purely ornamental.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe someone can make one similar, in a sort web or cage made of titanium that will provide more sturdy protection while keeping things open. The vented aluminum ones still don't expose much.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I made my own out of 5mm (1/4 ) titanium rod . But, touch would , havent tested it.

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that one you made is almost exactly what I was thinking, except full instead of half, for strength. Have you considered doing a full one? And shipping it to Chicago? And having money put in your account? :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
The last time I stepped off my duke, I cant recall thinking if my clutch cover is going to cut it... ;) On that note, I use the Ducati Performance full cover one, as I am running a very expensive slipper clutch.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A few years ago a guy I was riding with crashed his 998FE which had the STM ti-wire clutch guard on it. By "crashed" I mean completely destroyed the bike - front wheel in several pieces, ripped the tank off, folded the rear subframe up to where the tank was, twisted the frame, bent/broken forks, rashed engine cases, ripped the exhaust off, ripped the bars off, etc. The clutch guard saved the clutch though - it was the only salvageable part pretty much. He re-used it in the bike he bought to replace the FE. I'd have to go with "it works." The original STM guard was scraped up from the crash but I think he bought another one for his new bike as well.

·
Ducati Ambassador to the Vatican
299 Posts
Don't know about STM but here is my MPL after a nasty high side.
It crashed very well, no damage to the clutch.

·
9,757 Posts
I use a black Rizoma half-round cover with the carbon insert. It's the string bikini of clutch covers, and it is made from billet aluminum, so you've got minimalist looks with actual protection.

The surface that mates to the clutch case is slotted (kinda like the Corse magnesium case), so you can actually see quite a bit of the clutch basket too.

Here are some terrible cell phone pics:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just wanting something that holds up to a lowside. If I go down early at a trackday (never happened yet), I'd like to be able to salvage my day. If it's a highside, I'm going to have bigger worries than whether I can get back out two sessions later. :)

I honestly think the STM wire would be outstanding if only it were full instead of half.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts