Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my old lady out for a 100 mile ride yesterday afternoon and the bike ran hot but nothing outside of the normal range (4 bars) especially considering it's almost 100 degrees outside. As soon as I pulled into my garage I heard the coolant boiling. Once she cooled down I flushed the system with distilled water and white vinegar (4X) and then replaced my existing fluid with Engine Ice. When I ran the engine with the rad cap off to allow air to escape the system (per the manual) the Engine Ice began to boil within 7 minutes! I'm baffled because the bike seems to ride fine 99% of the time. At this point I'm certain I don't have air in the system, so what else could I be dealing with here? Thermostat or water pump? Has anybody else dealt with a similar issue?

Happy 4th of July, gents.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just when on a 15 minute "ops check" ride. Outside temp is 100 degrees. Maintained 4 bars while cruising, but reached 6 when I hit some mild traffic. Fan came on at 6 bars which cooled her back down to 5. Didn't boil the coolant this time but I may not have been on her long enough.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Maintained 4 bars while cruising, but reached 6 when I hit some mild traffic. Fan came on at 6 bars which cooled her back down to 5.
That's standard operating fare for my SF on a hot day...no boiling of coolant though...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so here's an update: I took the SF out last night with outside temps still lingering at about 90 degrees. She got up to temperature quickly which had me concerned, but I think that was purely a result of the ambient temperature. The temp gauge quickly reached 4 bars and thankfully that's where they stayed. I must have done something right because everything appears to be fine now (knocks on wood). Just to recap...I flushed the system multiple times and refilled with Engine Ice, tightened all clamps/hoses and inspected for pinhole leaks, made sure the rad cap was clean and properly secured, and verbally threatened the thermostat. I appreciate all of your input!

I think the best DIY source is the service/maintenance manual. It's worth its weight in gold. I pick a DVD version up on Ebay for like $12.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned if it after boils on shutdown when the ambient temp is high. It does it because there's a lot of heat in the engine, and coolant is no longer circulating through the radiator. Any coolant that burps into the bottle will be sucked back into the system as the engine cools down.

You haven't really overheated it. That only happens when you're in a state where you're spewing coolant during normal operation with airflow through the radiator.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't be too concerned if it after boils on shutdown when the ambient temp is high. It does it because there's a lot of heat in the engine, and coolant is no longer circulating through the radiator. Any coolant that burps into the bottle will be sucked back into the system as the engine cools down.

You haven't really overheated it. That only happens when you're in a state where you're spewing coolant during normal operation with airflow through the radiator.
Well...that's just it. I'm not sure it was only after shutdown because I can't hear much else over my Termi's. At this point I'm not worried about anything catastrophic, but it did have my attention. I'm the kind of guy who loses sleep over something like this. Again, everything seems to be back to normal thanks to you guys. Till next time :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Well...that's just it. I'm not sure it was only after shutdown because I can't hear much else over my Termi's. At this point I'm not worried about anything catastrophic, but it did have my attention. I'm the kind of guy who loses sleep over something like this. Again, everything seems to be back to normal thanks to you guys. Till next time :rolleyes:
Worry when the temp readout starts flashing. That's overheating.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just to recap...I flushed the system multiple times and refilled with Engine Ice, tightened all clamps/hoses and inspected for pinhole leaks, made sure the rad cap was clean and properly secured, and verbally threatened the thermostat. I appreciate all of your input!

I think the best DIY source is the service/maintenance manual. It's worth its weight in gold. I pick a DVD version up on Ebay for like $12.
Its the verbal threats that did it. Its my go to method.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Worry when the temp readout starts flashing. That's overheating.
Wow, I didn't realize this thread was 2 years old, but I just experienced a CEL and the flashing temp readout this past Sunday. When I stopped the bike, nothing seemed out-of-sorts, and when I started it up again (after only a couple of minutes) temperature reading was well within normal range. This seemed strange, but I stopped at a nearby gas station and added a small amounts of water to the reservoir just to try something. The CEL never came back on and temperature remained normal for the duration of the ride. The coolant was changed about 1500 miles ago and I haven't experienced a CEL until now. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize this thread was 2 years old, but I just experienced a CEL and the flashing temp readout this past Sunday. When I stopped the bike, nothing seemed out-of-sorts, and when I started it up again (after only a couple of minutes) temperature reading was well within normal range. This seemed strange, but I stopped at a nearby gas station and added a small amounts of water to the reservoir just to try something. The CEL never came back on and temperature remained normal for the duration of the ride. The coolant was changed about 1500 miles ago and I haven't experienced a CEL until now. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Check and see if the fans are free to turn. Start it up and let it run, if they don't come on, you have a problem.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can't recall which coolant Ducati uses, but its not rated or prepared for high temps (+100°F).

Try one for warmer climates... It should handle better.

The bike hates traffic especially 1098 (heat related)...they are designed to be cooled at a certain air flow, and mantain a specific temp in the engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
After a little digging, I believe I experienced the following: "In case of sensor FAULT, “STATE 1” is displayed flashing." Status 1 of Figure 14 on page 20 of the owners manual seems to match exactly what I experienced. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.