Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my water pump seal lasted 500 miles and now I'm back at having the oil go up and the water down.

I looked at the diagram again and I discovered that there's actually a locating ring under the seal ring which was not there when I disassembled and of course, I didn't reinstall it

Attached is a picture...

Could some of you confirm is actually there, or post some pictures that might help?

If I get it correctly the assembled sequence is:

OUTSIDE mechanical seal - ceramic washer - seal ring - locating ring - ALTERNATOR COVER - inner spacer - sealed bearing - unsealed bearing - outer spacer with counterbore - snap ring - INSIDE

I'm still very confused at to why it was not there, but I guess that's part of having very limited record of the bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Could some of you confirm is actually there, or post some pictures that might help?
From looking at that seal and remembering fixing mine, it's not on the inside of that assembly. The ceramic seal (#26) may look OK when it actually needs replaced. That is the most likely problem if the waterpump is leaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know what: you're absolutely right. That Coteco seal is actually the one on the gear selector shaft. The lines kinda threw me off.

However in the workshop manual there is a "locating ring" that you press in with a drift. I can't find it on the parts manual but I'll post the pages of the manual later.

Do you know anything about this locating ring?

When I replaced my mechanical seal I replaced both so the ceramic race is new...

Sent from my Nexus One

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the diagram in your workbook, it's the same as the number 26 item in the Ducati service manual (ceramic seal)
Precisely! But then in the procedure it talks about the locating ring as something other than the seal and ceramic race. It also describes it as something pushed out with a drift after the back spacer is removed and something reinstalled with a special tool.

:banghead::confused::banghead:

Sent from my Nexus One

·
Registered
180 Posts
Without having the cover in my hands to look at, I would be willing to bet that the part you are referring to is just a steal collar that the bearings ride in in stead of the bearings being pressed directly into the aluminum cover.

Doesn't really help with our problem, but that's my guess to that question.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Without having the cover in my hands to look at, I would be willing to bet that the part you are referring to is just a steal collar that the bearings ride in in stead of the bearings being pressed directly into the aluminum cover.

Doesn't really help with our problem, but that's my guess to that question.
I wouldn't agree, because in the reassembling instructions you press in the bearings before the mysterious locating ring.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Really? ( on my phone and wasn't able to see you attachment earlier). I plan on pulling my cover off when I get home today, so I will take a look and post some pictures as I go of my findings.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really? ( on my phone and wasn't able to see you attachment earlier). I plan on pulling my cover off when I get home today, so I will take a look and post some pictures as I go of my findings.
I really appreciate it!!!

In the meantime I've been able to find a copy of the workshop manual for a Monster S4: the procedure states:

Reassembly
Clean seat in the cover, any parts
you will be reusing and rotor shaft.
Lubricate with engine oil and refit as
follows:
▲ fit the new seal (1) on the rotor
shaft;
▲ working on the inside of the
cover, fit the inner spacer (2) with
the sharp edge facing outwards;
▲ using a drift on the outer ring,
push the bearing (3) against the
spacer (2) with the shielded end
facing into the cover;
▲ fit the other bearing (4). Push
until fully home;
▲ fit the two screws with washer
and tighten them to specified
torque;
▲ now turn over the cover and fit
the locating ring (5). Position ring as
shown in figure and push it until it
contacts spacer (2);
▲ insert the rotor shaft (6) and the
seal. Turn over cover again.

I'm starting to think that what the 999S workshop manual says is a typo in the sense that the locating ring is the combination of seal ring and ceramic race.

In the past they used to do the assembly with the special tool, then they just first assemble the seal ring then the ceramic race.

I dunno, but I'll look forward to see what you find in there...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I got it all torn apart and here are all the components. Reassembly seems pretty straight forward. There is a washer that goes in before the bearings that could be the locating ring that you speak of. Then it's the sealed bearing (sealed face out), a spacer washer, the open bearing and the the retaining clip.

The only question that I have is regarding the ceramic seal thing. The opposing faces are different and I am not sure which way it goes in. One side has grooves cut into it and the other side is smooth. I am assuming (for some reason) that the grooves mate to the mechanical seal on the shaft, but am not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based in the diagram in the workshop manual the ceramic ring should have a side with rounded edges. That side should be the smooth side and it would face outward.

Do you have a dial indicator to check if the shaft is out of axle? Where you able to determine the leaking steel from there?

Sent from my Nexus One

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Btw, the 999 doesn't have the spacer between the two bearings and I know the overall width of our case is narrower

Also, could you confirm your bearing only had one seal? Mine had two, the one I bought from the dealer has two, but the workshop manual says it's only one.

Sent from my Nexus One

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was not able to see anything that stuck out as a possible problem. I am thinking that my ceramic seal was flipped around though. (fingers crossed that that was the problem).

And yes, the one bearing was definitely only sealed on the one side, and not both.

I will fit it all back together tonight and see how it goes this weekend.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was not able to see anything that stuck out as a possible problem. I am thinking that my ceramic seal was flipped around though. (fingers crossed that that was the problem).

And yes, the one bearing was definitely only sealed on the one side, and not both.

I will fit it all back together tonight and see how it goes this weekend.
Definitely there's something odd going on here: my bearing had both shields, the inspection plug was loose at some point and the bolts assembling the case were out of sequence, and I'm missing the inner washer on the bolt with the wire that holds the cam timing sensor.

I'm starting to think somebody at some point fucked up something in there...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey guys,

Haynes manual says:

Locate the seal seat in the cover (rubber surface towards the cover) and press it squarely into position, taking great care not to damage the seat face.

Note: on some early models the seal and seat are supplied seperately. If this is the case, ensure the seal is fitted with its flat surface towards the cover/bearing washer and the seat with its rounded edge facing outwards (towards the impeller).

Hope this helps? :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
my bearing had both shields, I'm missing the inner washer on the bolt with the wire that holds the cam timing sensor.
It's often easier for inventory purposes to stock only one part number for bearings as shields are easily removed if needed. As for the washer on the cam timing sensor, those are spacers for depth adjustment. You need to check that you have correct depth between the sensor and notch on the gear. Too close and you'll damage the sensor, (contact).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.