Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if this is something related to the design or operation of the throttle setup, or if one of my cables is just sticky.

Basically, at the very initial point where you start to open the throttle, just after all the slack is taken up, there's a bit of resistance, a small 'sticky' point. It should be pretty apparent if it's there if you're off the bike without gloves and you gently roll on the throttle through that initial first part of travel after the slack is taken up.

I've checked a few things, and it's definitely not linkage at the throttle bodies (i.e. if I turn it by hand, there's no indication of sticking or binding), nor is it the twistgrip itself. I can't check whether it's one of the cables without pulling them off, so that leaves either a sticky cable, or the cables are fine and it's working as designed.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Try squirting a little WD-40 into both ends of the cables. It'll work it's way along the length of the cable.

Maybe there's a "kink" in one or both of the cables? It's possible that one could have been damaged during assembly, or maybe it's routed in a way that bends it too tightly?

Took a 1hr ride yesterday and still think the throttle is pretty darn smooth - especially compared to my MTS 620! Now THAT bike had some sticky throttle issues!

I hope you find a solution... I know how frustrating a sticky throttle can be!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try squirting a little WD-40 into both ends of the cables. It'll work it's way along the length of the cable.

Maybe there's a "kink" in one or both of the cables? It's possible that one could have been damaged during assembly, or maybe it's routed in a way that bends it too tightly?

Took a 1hr ride yesterday and still think the throttle is pretty darn smooth - especially compared to my MTS 620! Now THAT bike had some sticky throttle issues!

I hope you find a solution... I know how frustrating a sticky throttle can be!
I checked all the routing and it looks fine, not hung up anywhere. If I pull the top throttle cable out of the twistgrip and pull on it, you can really feel the 'stick', since you're not getting any leverage from the twistgrip at that point. No luck with WD40 yet...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... and the more I look into it, the more it seems to me that it's just the design. It seems the initial force needed to overcome the setup of the cam at the throttle body makes it seem 'sticky'. It's probably the wrong word. It's just that extra force is needed at that first bit of travel, which makes the throttle jump a bit. If I put a finger on the cam at the throttle body and apply just the tiniest bit of pressure, no more 'stickiness'.

Seems to be the issue with the jumpy throttle everyone mentions... I can see how different profile thottle might smooth out this initial jump, although I think it's less the throttle and more the design of the throttle body cam.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I'd try giving it some extra slack down by the throttle body... back out the nut (bottom) a bit and I'll bet it'll loosen 'er up. Worked for me when I installed the Kyle Racing throttle tube...

b

·
Registered
132 Posts
The guys on Multistrada.net are having good results with the "G2 Throttle Tamer". The cam has a different profile which "eases" the throttle action in over a tapered curve.

I almost got one for my MTS 620, but then I rode the Hyper and the 620 was history. :D

http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/G2-Tamer-Throttle-Tube-for-Ducati-267.html

They make one for the Hyper! $79. Sounds like a no-brainer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts