Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an on and off issue with the throttle on my MTS 1200 since day one. It seems to get sticky and sometimes, gritty! I take it to the shop, they take pieces apart, clean and lube everything and I'm OK for a while. Then the problems comes back! :(

With the power that this bike has, a sticky or gritty throttle can lead to a bumpy ride. It's at its worst around town, where I need subtle control around traffic and people! Out in the twisties, with the throttle more open, I don't have a problem.

Is anyone else having a smoothness issue with their throttle? My dealer has tried at least 5 times now to get mine working smoothly over the long term. It started going sticky again today! I'm thinking that I want to insist they start replacing parts under warranty now, like the whole throttle assembly and cables. :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is it a routing problem, like to close to exhaust or radiator? Seems to me there was a recall on rerouting, but I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Certainly could be cable routing, etc.....

I've just installed a G2 throttle tube with a ramped cable cam, delrin tube inserts and adjusted out almost all of the throttle free play......much smoother off idle and at low throttle positions.

Northlight

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh....and the "fly-by-wire crap" doesn't, in this case, mean there are no cables..that could stick or be routed incorrectly.

Northlight

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Weird that you bring this up because I've always felt the throttle was a bit notchy and gritty. Mine doesn't worry me but it's not as smooth as it should be. I've thought about taking it apart and having a look, but it's still on my to do list. Someone said there was a reroute recall on the bike. DOes anyone have more specific information regarding the recall?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I'm aware, the cable routing issue was one of the first things they tried to fix my throttle. As I mentioned, they've sent me away happy with a smooth accurate throttle about 5 times now, but it always eventually goes bad again!

If anything, my throttle sleeve feels too lose and rattles around on the bar. However, from closed throttle, it's impossible to smoothly roll-on. With fly-by-wire and buckets of horsepower on tap, a jerky throttle from closed just causes a jerky start! It also leads to a jerky ride at slow speeds because the throttle jerks between 'notched' positions! :(

I does feel like it's a cable issue. Maybe dirt and crap has found its way into the cables somehow. I'll be speaking with my dealer later today. I think we're beyond the "lets try and fix what's on there again" stage!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've had an on and off issue with the throttle on my MTS 1200 since day one. It seems to get sticky and sometimes, gritty! I take it to the shop, they take pieces apart, clean and lube everything and I'm OK for a while.

With the power that this bike has, a sticky or gritty throttle can lead to a bumpy ride. It's at its worst around town, where I need subtle control around traffic and people!

My dealer has tried at least 5 times now to get mine working smoothly over the long term. I'm thinking that I want to insist they start replacing parts under warranty now, like the whole throttle assembly and cables. :(
I think you are currently closing in on 23,000 miles?

I would have gone nuts back around 3000 miles with this problem. That to me would be even worse than the 'front end clunk". Which was only really annoying and not operational related.

Your throttle problem is as bad and probably even worse then the original ECU surging issue.

The more I read this forum: the luckier I seem to get with this bike. Or I should say: the specific bike that I happened to ride away on.

But tomorrow is another day.

Dan

·
Registered
379 Posts
Why any mechanical cables at all?

As another "early adopter" I've been blessed with smooth throttles on both my MTS1200S's. Very sorry to hear of your problems. But...

...what I wonder is why the TBW bikes have any (mechanical) cables at all? Why don't the designers put an encoder (okay, or potentiometer) right at the twistgrip and go electric from there? You still need the motors to actuate the fueling, but no more mechanical cables.

There must be a good reason, but it escapes me.

I know that I was dumbfounded when I felt the (to me) relatively stiff throttle return spring on the MTS1200. "Huh? This thing is TBW, right?" I have small hands, and the (again, to me) stiff spring plus lack of cruise control was a bummer.

--Doc

PS. No, not as bad as the four carburetors on my '69 CB750. Now that was stiff.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Try this yourself Turbo, even the best shops are never as attentive as you would be. I don't think this design has changed in 30 years.

Attachments

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
The more I read this forum: the luckier I seem to get with this bike. Or I should say: the specific bike that I happened to ride away on.

But tomorrow is another day.

Dan
oh dear ..... i would never try my luck boasting like this ;)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I left the bike with the dealer today so they can strip it down and see if they can diagnose the problem once and for all. The service director could clearly see and feel the issue. I'll report back once I get the verdict. :)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try this yourself Turbo, even the best shops are never as attentive as you would be. I don't think this design has changed in 30 years.
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but what is this!?! :eek:

(it sure is pretty though!)

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but what is this!?! :eek:

(it sure is pretty though!)
It's a cable luber. Clamp it around the cable and it forces lube down the cable housing.

On another note, does anyone make an aluminum throttle tube for these bikes, and if so are they compatible with the heated grips? I don't have a clue how they're (HG) configured, just know they're a controlled short controlled via the red starter button.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a cable luber. Clamp it around the cable and it forces lube down the cable housing.

On another note, does anyone make an aluminum throttle tube for these bikes, and if so are they compatible with the heated grips? I don't have a clue how they're (HG) configured, just know they're a controlled short controlled via the red starter button.
The Ducati heated grips are just heating elements wrapped around and glued to the throttle sleeve on the right and bar on the left, just like these Dual Star heated grip elements...

Heated Grip Kit

You probably won't be able to peel the element off the throttle tube without damaging it, though.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I see.
The simplest trick for a smooth throttle on the trials bikes is to replace the tube with an aluminum one. If the plastic throttle tube is boogered up on the end or if someone has used silicone spray as a lube, this could contribute. Silicone lubricants cause plastics to swell. Did you have to cut the end out of the throttle tube when you installed your hand guards? I've experienced a little throttle drag if the end of the tube/grip is a bit too close to the bark busters or the grip isn't uniform on the end. Aren't the Touratech hand guards a bark buster type?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see.
The simplest trick for a smooth throttle on the trials bikes is to replace the tube with an aluminum one. If the plastic throttle tube is boogered up on the end or if someone has used silicone spray as a lube, this could contribute. Silicone lubricants cause plastics to swell. Did you have to cut the end out of the throttle tube when you installed your hand guards? I've experienced a little throttle drag if the end of the tube/grip is a bit too close to the bark busters or the grip isn't uniform on the end. Aren't the Touratech hand guards a bark buster type?
The Touratech hand guards bolt into the end of the bars, but the right one in no way impedes the throttle sleeve. I didn't have to modify anything when I fitted the hand guards. The throttle sleeve itself is actually a little too loose! It rattles and has a lot of play. From what I can tell, the stickiness appears to be coming from the cables or possibly the throttle sleeve cam. All I can tell for certain is that it is not the throttle sleeve itself binding on anything I can see.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Never mind, the bike has bar ends. It was a thought:think:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
John Deere sells liquid graphite in an aerosol can that's some amazing stuff. Maybe you can clean out the throttle cam journal and lube it up with something similar. I've had a can of the stuff for years. Beware, it makes a hell of a mess but works fantastic and lasts forever. Just a thought?
My throttle seems a bit hard to rotate at times and a bit notchy. I notice it from time to time but never think about it until I get on the bike. Mine is an early 2010.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts