Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Does your DVT consume oil? Limit = 1L/3000km=1800miles

• '15 - YES. Extreme or abnormal = everything beyond the limit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • '17 - YES. Worth mentioning, needs topping up but stays under the limit

• '17 - YES. Extreme or abnormal = everything beyond the limit

• 1260 - YES. Extreme or abnormal = everything beyond the limit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to collect information on a bigger scale concerning the (in)famous oil consumption of Ducati's relatively new DVT engines, I hereby want to ask DVT owners to pick an option so that we may see confirmation, or not, that the first model years from '15 are problematic in terms of oil consumption.

I've heard from 3 different Ducati dealers in my country that DVT's are known for their oil consumption, and one dealer spoke of an acceptable limit of 1L/3000km=1800miles.
If you own a DVT, you know your engine (could possibly) consumes oil, from own experience or from others.

I bought mine with +/- 11.000km, and started collecting data from the start.
For the first 9.000km I owned it, untill 20.000km on the ODO, it consumed about 2L of oil, thats an average of 1L/4500km. That was with 10w40 Motul oil.
From there on it kept going worse.
So at 26.000km I switched to official Ducati approved Shell Ultra 4T 15w50 (SN API2)
But stayed at around 1L/3000km and never got worse than 1L/3000km.

My current dealer confirmed the 2015 models are potentially problematic but after the first year Ducati supposedly fixed the issue....?
They supposedly changed used materials on the internals, according to my dealer.
However I red a comment here that apparently there were a batch of pistons that were not correctly machined/coated...who'll know.

Anyhow, if everybody can chime in, we might see a correlation between oil consumption and build years.

1 question & 3 options per modelyear (from '15 to the latest 1260 engines).

I realise the difference between answers 1 and 2 are not devided by clear borders or numbers and leaves open to personal opinions, because what one person finds a lot, another may find not worth mentioning, since its difficult to put a specific number to differentiate the two, I'rather leave that one open.
But lets say if you need a bottle of oil when going on a trip you might be tempted to answer answer 2 instead of answer 1 :)

Unfortunatelly the number of possible responses are limited, so I could not add all the 3 optional answers for the 1260 owners.
That is why I opted to offer the most extreme answer only.
Because if Ducati did fix the issue, we should not see any 1260 with an extreme oil consumpation higher than 1L/3000km=1800miles.

The results are public, so that in the case this poll gets worldwide attention, Ducati can take notice as well.
Owners of multiple bikes with a DVT engine can also vote more than one time, hence the unlimited possibility to choose an answer. (for example, owners of a Multistrada and a XDiavel are realistic scenario's)

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
15 S... uses a liter every 5000-6000 miles.

I've yet to hear of any difference between the 15 and 16 (as long as you kept up with dealer service). Not to say there's not some subtle differences but nobody seems to be able to identify them... I'd be curious if the part numbers are even different.

17 has a different airbox lid... which you can buy and install yourself on 15's and 16's.

Dealer indicated that modest oil consumption was nothing to worry about... mine has used a liter between changes since it was new. Consumption has not increased in >45k miles.

Reactions: E-riko

·
Registered
710 Posts
My '16 multi so far is good (fingers crossed). Granted I am lower mileage than most people with these bike at only 6,500miles. So far has not needed any oil added between changes.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
My 2015 burned a half of a quart every 4k miles in the beginning but tapered off to nothing after around 10k miles.

Reactions: E-riko

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2015 has never used any oil at all. I bought it in late 2015 and it had Motul in it up until this year and now is about to have its 2nd oil change with the Shell Ducati oil.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I haven’t kept detailed records, but my '16 probably has required an additional quart over the current 14,000-ish miles on the clock. Maybe slightly more or less, but negligible in the scheme of things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts