Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it happened again today. Riding slowly in traffic feathering clutch in first gear in somewhat hot weather with engine around 215F. The gear starts to 'grab' with clutch lever closer and closer to the handlebar until it just pulls with clutch lever all the way in. The only way to stop the bike from going is to hold the brake. Unable to shift into neutral, shifter seems stuck. Shutting down and restarting the engine clears the problem immediately, like nothing happened. This is the second time it happened to me, but I've been noticing the clutch level feels 'spongy' after I hold it in longer than usual on a red light or something. The warranty just expired last month. Am I screwed? What could it be? The patient - 2014 Multistrada 1200 S.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This happened to me recently on my new to me bike. Flushed the fluid yesterday, didn't find any air or obviously overheated fluid. Also didn't find any leaks....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I don't feel like looking for it but this was just threaded like a week ago. Water in fluid, slave gets hot, creating gas in the fluid, goodbye clutch. Brief cooling, steam back to water, works again. There is a tiny amount of fluid in the system, gets contaminated fast, heats up fast. Heat cycling is what draws the water in. Replace fluid frequently to reduce issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone! Brakes and clutch are going to be flushed this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
Flannel and hot soapy water.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was a little skeptical of the brake fluid flush being the answer. Why? Namely, I've owned plenty of bikes with hydraulic clutches. Some of them over 10 years old that I know were never flushed by the previous owners. No issues. Ever.

But also, the clutch only sees engine operating temperatures (~220F). While that is enough to boil water, it's vastly cooler than a front brake system. There'd have to be a LOT of water in the brake fluid for vaporization to be the issue.

That said, I flushed it last week on my still-new-to-me bike (along with the all the other fluids and maintenance items). Result? Same damn thing.

I ended up stuck in traffic due to an accident today. It was miserable. Traffic was crawling at 3 mph for about 7 miles, and given the gearing and nature of the big twin, the clutch was constantly being feathered. I had to periodically let the clutch lever all the way out to 'reset' the clutch. Not fun.

I'm going to order a seal kit for both the master and slave. There are no leaks that I can find and the reservoir level doesn't drop. My working theory is that the piston seal in the master is faulty and leaks down after being under constant pressure. This could explain why the lever gradually creeps in over time and why there are no external leaks.

Anyway, I'm going to order the seals today and change them out as soon as able. Will report back.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that I have about 1/2" of lever free play - aka dead space...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had something similar happen in my 1098s years ago after I put a slipper clutch. I paid the dealer to tighten the main basket nut, so I couldn't for the life of me think the dealer could do anything wrong! :|

I bought a new master and a new slave cylinder. And when that didn't fix it, I tore into the clutch again and sure enough, the nut had backed off.

I bought an electric impact gun that had the torque necessary for the nut, torqued it and I never looked back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Was your clutch wonky all the time or just after holding the lever in? I'd guess the former, not the latter...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
As most of us have come to learn, Ducati doesn't sell rebuild kits for the master cylinders on this bike. Several people have suggested the issue was actually with the slave cylinder, so I obliged, bit the bullet, and bought an Oberon. I was initially skeptical of this being the solution, but figured it was an easy fix that would also reduce lever effort.

Results? Well, the lever does feel better. Much easier pull, and a bit more consistent. However, it wasn't leaking when I removed it and another lovely morning commute confirmed that the clutch issues are still alive and well.

So, my issue is definitely the clutch master cylinder. As I surmised initially. Does anyone know the diameter of the master? I can't seem to find this anywhere and I'm optimistic that one of Brembo's kits will work...if I can figure out which one.

Alternatively, if anyone has upgraded to an RCS clutch, I'd love to see what you did to retain the factory handguards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi 1-3-4-2
have you reseal your master cylinder?

Since I have small brake fluid leak from my MTS1200 clutch cylinder (outer seal is damaged), I am looking for brembo rebuild kit. But could not find brembo order No.
If you lucky found it, please share with us.

If it helps you- I found on inner seal (facing brake systém pressure) brembo No. 05426375 and the cylinder is diameter 15mm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sadly, I was never able to find a rebuild kit for the master cylinder. I gave up the search and purchased a used master off eBay, and unsurprisingly, my issues disappeared.

I was planning on tearing down my old master, but forget and haven't had the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts