Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals
Can anyone tell me if there is a certain way of using sticker kits and then laquering over them with the clear satin coatings i need to match the dark (black) finish ? As ever, thanks for your replies .

ps; Hope that makes sense. what i am basically thinking is to renew my standard dark finish with the addition of some white corse stripes and would prefer to laquer over the stickers.

·
Administrator
5,828 Posts
Couple of things.

First you will want to use a polyurethane, as lacquer is a hard coating, and chips easily.
Second, be sure the decals can be clearcoated.
I got some one time that were not capable, then they lifted as the clearcoat dried.
Bad scene.

That being said, if they are clearcoat acceptable, you have to do no prep on them.Stick them then clearcoat them.
That is it!

·
Administrator
5,828 Posts
My preferences

I prefer to clearcoat over the sticker.
It looks better, the decals don't lift with time, and they last longer from fading.

+1 for clear OVER the decals.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
over the decals as well...in the summertime when the heat beats down on your dark finish....the decals will become maluable and that is not what you want I assume!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zooom said:
over the decals as well...in the summertime when the heat beats down on your dark finish....the decals will become maluable and that is not what you want I assume!
thanks for your post
I don't know if you have noticed where i am from , but i live in a country which looks ,positively ,forward every year to a long hot summer but unfortunataly this is england so our paint jobs last very well untill you murder bambi with them !

·
Registered
231 Posts
Matstar,

The Ducati Dark finish is sort of a mat black isn't it? I'm just wondering - won't a clearcoat turn your bike into an ordinary gloss black? I'm sure it will still look marvelous with the corse white stripes..

·
Administrator
5,828 Posts
Depends

Gorma, it will if you use a gloss clearcoat.
I used a satin finish and looks damn fine.....
Not glossy at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stickers then polyurawotzit

Thanks for your replies guys. I have begun to search for decals on the web . so far the best site i have found is www.cutgrafix.com but all of their decals are the glossy type. i might have to email them and go the custom route shouldn't cost to much for what are basically just stripes.

·
Administrator
5,828 Posts
Yeah true

The decals themselves will be glossy.
But that should not be too distracting from the overall scheme.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rainman said:
The decals themselves will be glossy.
But that should not be too distracting from the overall scheme.

sorry rainman . i didn't explain that very well. what i mean by glossy is they are designed to be placed on the top of the finished paint job so doesn't that mean i can't put the satin finish over the top or am i off the mark here ?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Matstar,
If you have trouble finding stickers,we have access to a vinyl plotter. I can have them made for you in any shape, size or color.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
moto said:
Matstar,
If you have trouble finding stickers,we have access to a vinyl plotter. I can have them made for you in any shape, size or color.

thanks moto. i will keep that in mind
here are some pics from the web site i mentioned earlier ;
The first is a different colour but has the stripes where i want them .
the second and third are pics of the corse stripe which i plan to use complete with duc badges .
The fourth pic is one i thought was a must have . I wonder how many of you have this one

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,828 Posts
I do!

I bought a cf fender off eBay.
Scratched, cracked and ugly.
Clearcoat is worn off.
I have sanded it down, and primered the area that I will stripe.
Now I need to decide, put the little pinstripes on it, or do it solid?

Hmm, but when I am done, you will see the results here....
And I am doing the badging for sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pinstripe

Hey rainman '

I think the full corse plus pinstripe looks great ,nice and fat especially on the front fender .I like the way it covers most of it and really lets you know its there . as for the badging i'm with you on that one and i don't know if you noticed on those pics the badge facing the seat on the monsters tank , not seen that before . wonder if i should also badge the rear hugger ,i plan on striping it , but as i'm typing i am thinking it might be badge overkill unless i lose said tank badge. look forward to seeing your results . ciao , mat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clearcoating the stickers

When I re-painted my bike, I put the stickers uder the clearcoat. I
also sanded in between coats on the stickers only until everything
leveled out. Now you can't even feel the stickers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rainmans fender

hey rainman ,
Thanks for the wisdom you've made a great job of that fender . You've got me wondering what a cf fender would look like on my bike now . Damn ! you guys are gonna cost me a fortune! ..............just kidding .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts