Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions, 1 easy and 1 more difficult.

#1. What is unique about the cutout for the top headlight on the XX9 series that Terblanche designed?

Now something a little more esoteric,

#2. What makes the clutch banjo fitting different from the brake banjo and why? ( the answer is a very small design change that has very large consequences). This of course applies to the stock Brembo equipment as fitted to the xx9 series but probably is utilized elsewhere.

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
560 Posts
OK, answer to #1 It almost sank Ducati

#2 This is a gues, but the crossed drilled hole is larger for the clutch for more flow?

Mark

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
#1 was aerodynamics. It cut down drag by allowing incoming air to re-energise the flow around the rear of the bike/rider and hence delay separation. In other words it reduced the level of turbulence behind the bike hence reducing drag.

It was removed in the later models. I guess for appearance reasons?

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
#1 was aerodynamics. It cut down drag by allowing incoming air to re-energise the flow around the rear of the bike/rider and hence delay separation. In other words it reduced the level of turbulence behind the bike hence reducing drag.

It was removed in the later models. I guess for appearance reasons?
Might be talking about two different holes or slots. The slots on either side of the headlights were removed for the 05 model on because at high speed a buffeting effect would take place.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would have to be a "gearhead" or someone who is into doing their own wrenching and or an engineer to know the answer to ? #2.

I see Shazaam is keeping quiet till someone else gets it.
Tell me when and I'll spill the beans....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2 questions, 1 easy and 1 more difficult.

#1. What is unique about the cutout for the top headlight on the XX9 series that Terblanche designed?

Now something a little more esoteric,

#2. What makes the clutch banjo fitting different from the brake banjo and why? ( the answer is a very small design change that has very large consequences). This of course applies to the stock Brembo equipment as fitted to the xx9 series but probably is utilized elsewhere.

Whaddya think?
Okay, the reason I put up these questions is because I want everyone to know about the banjos and how important it is NOT to get them crossed.

The cutout for the top light on the XX9 series is shaped into the Ducati logo, the bottom is just round, Terblanche didn't miss much.

The banjo for the clutch looks just like the brake banjo except the fluid passage is only .021", VERY small, the brake is a normal 1/16" or so. My guess is that this is done to slow down clutch engagement so dry grabby clutches can more easily be modulated...and.... It also functions like a cush-drive in a sense in that it smooths out the power "shock-pulse" that might otherwise destroy everything between the banjo and cush-drive. Elegant and simple and effective....but you wouldn't want to grab a handful of brakes with the wrong small port banjo, it would be the fast way to join " The Choir Invisible".

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Yes. In hydraulic engineering terms it is called a restrictor. Nice question !

Okay, the reason I put up these questions is because I want everyone to know about the banjos and how important it is NOT to get them crossed.

The cutout for the top light on the XX9 series is shaped into the Ducati logo, the bottom is just round, Terblanche didn't miss much.

The banjo for the clutch looks just like the brake banjo except the fluid passage is only .021", VERY small, the brake is a normal 1/16" or so. My guess is that this is done to slow down clutch engagement so dry grabby clutches can more easily be modulated...and.... It also functions like a cush-drive in a sense in that it smooths out the power "shock-pulse" that might otherwise destroy everything between the banjo and cush-drive. Elegant and simple and effective....but you wouldn't want to grab a handful of brakes with the wrong small port banjo, it would be the fast way to join " The Choir Invisible".

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Good ones! Yep, I was thinking about the vertical shaped slots either side of the headlight. Didn't know about the "dynamic D" drain hole.

Just for shits and giggles, can anyone confirm my guess to the slots anyway. I could understand that for a slim rider that they would help "reduce" tail end buffet, but for a bigger rider/backpack or tailbag, the stream would hit the rider and cause more buffet.

I did think the fairing looked better with the slots.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm going to disagree about #2. Switch them all you like, provided you have the right length cable. There is no discernible difference when you are upgrading to quality Spiegler lines as to what fitting you are selecting in the process, provided it directs the cable in the direction you want it to. Brake or Clutch is irrelevant for hydraulic line selection.

Evidence:
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/customline.cfm?type=std

Example in use:

Standard Spiegler Line, GP Clutch Master, Aftermarket Slave. No grabiness whatsoever was experienced in going to the Spiegler Line.

Likewise, kopfjager has a similar setup on his 859 Monster:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts